Chapter 15

One Great Escapade

“Ouch!” Sanghyuk exclaimed when he acccidentally bumped his own head into the incredibly low ceiling of their hangout that was more or less than 60 cm—Sanghyuk was too lazy and too frustrated to measure it. With a sigh, he curled into a fetal position. This was one of his biggest struggles as a 184 cm male. Honestly, he could avoid experiencing such a struggle if only Hakyeon did not insist to gather everyone inside the cheap hangout that was made of wood—at least it had ben upgraded from cardboard.

“Why is this so low? Even Hongbin’s legs are longer than this.” Wonshik complained, struggling to make himself comfortable but ended up just lying down. The hangout was wide enough so the patients could still lie down and roll around but the ceiling was too low even for children. Obviously, Hakyeon was smart enough to know how to pick locks but was not very smart when it came to measurements.

Hongbin glared at Wonshik after comprehending what the latter had said. “Are you implying that my legs are short?” He asked even though he knew the answer to his own question. “It’s not that my legs are short, it’s just that your legs are so long to the point that it’s insulting.” He argued, lying down as well because he could not risk hurting his own face.

“Let’s not argue about legs now, okay? That’s not the reason why I gathered everyone here.” Hakyeon spoke up, pushing Taekwoon in before entering the hangout himself. Among everyone, he seemed to be the only one who was comfortable because he immediately lied down as if he was posing for a magazine. “I gathered you guys here to talk about the consultation with the doctor. Dr. Choi, is it?”

“Yes, Dr. Choi. I don’t like him.” Hongbin confirmed the doctor’s name. “Yes, there will be a consultation, we understand. But why bother to gather all of us here?” He asked.

“I’m here to say my farewell.” Hakyeon said in a soft voice. He sounded sad but the others knew better than to believe the overly dramatic Hakyeon. “I think that I’m leaving soon.”

“Leaving soon? Why?” Jaehwan, who originally wasn’t the brightest of all, asked. He was lying down on a weird position—kinda like the model of a bikini in one of the magazines. “Where are you going? To Japan? China? If not, Himalayas? You should buy us souvenirs when you come back then.”

Hakyeon shook his head, chuckling. “No, the thing is I don’t think that I’m coming back ever again. I believe that Dr. Choi would come back to his senses and finally let me go home today or if not, maybe tomorrow.” He explained. “I think it took too long for him to come to his senses. It’s been almost three months and he still does not realize the mistake of putting me here. Me, the completely fine trot singer is here.” He shook his head in disapproval.

“Ei… don’t praise yourself, you sound like Hongbin hyung.” Sanghyuk commented, also shaking his head in disapproval. “I thought you’re already happy with copying Jaehwan hyung’s monologues every night. Do you have to copy Hongbin hyung too?” He asked. “Try something original.”

“What?! When do you copy me?!” Jaehwan exclaimed, sounding like an old woman who was nagging at his daughter for not getting married to a rich man and giving her a grandchild already or maybe at his lazy son who did nothing but to use his computer, to eat his meals, and to sleep anywhere in the house the whole day.

“He’s been trying to copy you since the beginning with his monologues.” Hongbin told Jaehwan.

“That’s right.” Sanghyuk spoke up. “I heard him saying monologues in his sleep too. He’s totally trying to take everything from you, Jaehwan hyung.” Being a devil he was, he decided to add more wood into the fire. He’s bored anyway and there was no other scene that was more fun to watch than a Jaehwan nagging at Hakyeon. Hongbin joined in by nodding in agreement at Sanghyuk’s every word—a sweet supporter he was indeed. Hakyeon glared at them but they did not mind him.

Jaehwan gasped dramatically as if he were performing in a theater play. “You did what?!” He stared at Hakyeon as if the latter just ruined his life by burning all the Special K cereals and closets in the world. “Don’t you know the importance of originality in this life? Omo, omo…” He sounded like an old woman again—a mother-in-law to be exact. “Omo…” He breathed. “In this lifetime, originality is everything. You might end up in jail because of plagiarism. I can sue you if  I want to.”

Sanghyuk chuckled, proud of the ruckus he just started. The devil inside him was surely proud of his evil deeds. But clearly, Taekwoon was not happy—no, not because Jaehwan was nagging at Hakyeon, he liked it too. The reason why Taekwoon was pissed off was because he assumed that he just had to stay for a while in an uncomfortable position then he could finally go back to his ward to get a proper rest.

“You could have had ruined a person’s life, a person’s sanity.” Jaehwan pointed out as dramatically as he could, finally dropping the voice of an old lady. “This kid! I won’t let you touch my son! Break up with him. How much do you need?” He lectured Hakyeon, his ‘old woman voice’ was back once again. He sounded like the evil mother in many cliche dramas.

“Are you sure that he’s not suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder?” Hongbin nudged Sanghyuk.

“I’m not sure. Seems like he is but it also seems like he’s not.” Sanghyuk replied.

Wonshik yawned, Jaehwan’s nagging was making him feel so sleepy. “Jaehwan hyung is cute and all but I’m going to sleep first.” He informed everyone—but was ignored by Jaehwan who was still speaking and Hakyeon who was listening seriously to his new-found spiritual teacher.

“Go ahead. I’m actually surprised that you are awake until now.” Hongbin told Wonshik. “That’s quite an improvement for your part.” He smiled, showing off his dimples. “My dimples look much better now, right? It made me even more handsome.”

“Of course.” It was Sanghyuk’s turn to support Hongbin. They got each other’s backs.

Wonshik nodded his head and was about to go to sleep once again.

Taekwoon rolled his eyes and let out a sigh but as he did so, he accidentally bumped his head. In annoyance, he glared at the ceiling. There was nothing normal in that hospital, not even the ceiling. “Jaehwan, stop nagging. Let Hakyeon finish what he wants to say so that we can go back to our rooms peacefully!” He scolded Jaehwan. “You did nothing but to talk.”

“You’re the one who is nagging now!” Jaehwan argued in a voice of a kid while Hakyeon wiped his tears (why he even teared up in the first place was a mystery to everyone). By this time, Wonshik was still awake, watching the scene in front of him.

It was Sanghyuk’s turn to nudge Hongbin to get the attention of the latter. “Hyung, if a while ago I am uncertain, I am now certain, he has lost his marbles.” He whispered. Come to think of it, Jaehwan had totally lost it since the very beginning.

Taekwoon sighed. It was probably more than a million times that he sighed since he arrived almost three months ago. “I’ll just head back to the ward where there is an air con when it’s hot and a heater when it’s cold.” He muttered, sounding obviously annoyed.

Hakyeon gasped in realization. “That’s a great idea, Taekwoonie!” He exclaimed, earning himself judging looks from both Sanghyuk and Hongbin and a confused look from the rest. “We’re going to put an air conditioner and a heater in our hangout to make it more comfortable!” He spoke as if it was the brightest idea he ever had.

“What do you mean by ‘more’? It isn’t anywhere near comfortable! Why is this ceiling so low?” Hongbin complained. “I thought that it used to be low because it’s made of cheap cardboard but it’s still low even if it’s made of cheap woods.” He continued.

“Should I make the ceiling higher?” Hakyeon asked. Then, he turned to Wonshik. “Make the ceiling higher, Wonshikkie.” He commanded as cutely as he could.

“I’m not your servant. I won’t do it.” Wonshik said with a blank face.

“Make the ceiling higher, Wonshikkie.” It was Jaehwan’s turn to say the command in a cute way.

Wonshik smiled. “Ah, so cute! Okay, I’ll do it. When do I start?”

“You won’t start.” Sanghyuk said. “Hyung, rather than worrying about that, we should worry about escaping. It’s true that we, with the exception of Jaehwan hyung and Hakyeon hyung—”

“Hey!” Hakyeon and Jaehwan exclaimed in protest. Jaehwan was about to make another long dialogue but Hongbin covered his mouth. They were sick and tired of listening to Jaehwan talking—they had thought of that a lot of times but their minds would not change. Listening to Jaehwan was tiring.

“As I was saying, with the exception of Jaehwan hyung and Hakyeon hyung, all of us have a big chance of getting out of here. But are we really going to leave them behind?” Sanghyuk asked. “It’s fine if it’s just Hakyeon hyung but Jaehwan hyung has been really nice to me. With that said, we should escape now before we face the doctor. We don’t have to go through all that trouble.”

“I agree with Sanghyuk. You guys might not be able to leave this place as soon as I can.” Hakyeon nodded. “Now, here’s a plan that I carefully thought of.” He started, signalling the other guys to come closer so that they would hear what he was about to say.

The guys looked like they were doubting him but they came closer to him anyway, wondering what stupid plan Hakyeon had came up with. The ever-sassy Hongbin was curious, the weird Jaehwan wanted to know about it, and the sleepy Wonshik just wanted to hear something funny to keep himself awake. Even the greatest genius Han Sanghyuk was intrigued but not the 10000% done Taekwoon so Hakyeon had to pull him closer.

Hakyeon whispered the plan to them as softly as he could. Jaehwan looked amazed but the rest looked at Hakyeon as if the trot singer had completely lost his mind—oh wait, they were in a mental hospital, it would be surprising if Hakyeon had not lost his marbles just yet.

“I’m not going to do it.” Sanghyuk refused, backing away from Hakyeon, bumping his head to the ceiling. Hongbin helped Sanghyuk by sitting up carefully and rubbing the latter’s head only to suffer from the same unfortunate fate. “Are you okay, hyung?” Sanghyuk asked Hongbin who was lying down while clutching his head. “Does it hurt so much?” He asked, his voice filled with concern.

“I’m fine, don’t mind me.” Hongbin replied in a voice that was full of pain. He was still clutching his head as if he was dying despite just bumping his head on the cheap wood.

“I’m not going to do Hakyeon’s plan.” Taekwoon opposed, ignoring the over-dramatic Hongbin and Sanghyuk. He did not move an inch so that he would not hit his heat.

“Why not?” Hakyeon asked as if he could not believe what he was hearing when he should have had seenn it coming knowing how absurd his plan was.

Sanghyuk turned his attention back to Hakyeon when Hongbin stopped being the drama queen. “Because, hyung, there’s no way that I would help in beating up those guards and workers. That’s a crime.”

“As if escaping is not a crime. It’s illegal too and anything that is illegal is a crime, right?” Hakyeon retorted. “So, let’s not consider this one as a crime but a beautiful way of escaping.”

“Beautiful?” Hongbin scoffed, finally done with his drama but he was still lying down on the floor because he was too tired to sit up. “I really cannot understand your logic. How can a crime be called as beautiful? I won’t do it.” He shook his head in refusal. “Do it yourself.”

“Me too.” Wonshik yawned. “I won’t do it. I was not planning to escape in the first place. And I really don’t want to have a criminal record. My sister won’t be proud of me knowing that I have one. I want to be the older brother that she would be proud of.” He stated firmly.

“And you in the mental hospital is something that she is proud of…?” Sanghyuk asked but cleared his throat to change tthe topic right away. “Anyway, as we were saying, none of us would participate in such an absurd plan. Who knows how many guards are there? Who knows how many Nurse Park we have to deal with? We should use this time to create a fool-proof plan, not a nonsensical one.”

“I’m with Hakyeon hyung in this one though.” Jaehwan, who was quiet for a while, finally spoke up. “We should grab this opportunity while we still can. Like I said before, just grab whatever is in front of you right now. It doesn’t matter if it does not make any sense at first because you’ll soon find out how it has an impact in our lives—” Jaehwan was not able to finish what he was saying because Hakyeon already grabbed the right arm of the former.

Hakyeon looked at the other guys. “Look, I and Kennie are escaping now. If we did manage to escape, we won’t even come back for any of you.” He warned, trying to scare them, but the other guys just stared at him blankly as if he was spouting nonsense—which he was.

“His name is Jaehwan, not Kennie.” Wonshik was the one who spoke up. “But whatever, do what you want Hakyeon hyung.” He rolled his eyes, not even bothered because he knew that the two would not be able to succeed in escaping.

Taking Wonshik’s words as permission, Hakyeon and Jaehwan excitedly left the hangout (hitting and bumping their heads on the low ceiling in the process yet they were still smiling).

“Their level of stupidity baffles me. How can Hakyeon hyung and Jaehwan hyung beat up anyone?”  Sanghyuk asked in a whiny voice. “They’ll probably get beaten up first. It’s so obvious.”

Hongbin nodded his head. “I know, right? Let’s not talk about them because it might cause our beautiful faces some wrinkles and that’s a ‘no no’.” He wagged his index finger at Sanghyuk.

“But about the plan for escaping, can’t we just do the plan that I suggested?” Sanghyuk asked.

“No way!” Both Hongbin and Taekwoon exclaimed at the same time, causing Taekwoon to bump his head once again. Taekwoon could not help but to glare at the ceiling as if it was the cause of his every misfortune and unluckiness (when it was not, it was Hakyeon, really).

Wonshik was confused. “What’s the plan?” He asked.

“I suggested to do cross-dressing to escape from this place. It’s better than Hakyeon hyung’s plan and all the plans that he would ever come up with.” Sanghyuk argued.

Taekwoon shook his head. “It won’t be believable. I won’t do it.”

Hongbin nodded his head in agreement with Taekwoon’s words, disagreeing with Sanghyuk for the first time. “Plus, Wonshik cannot be a female with that deep voice of his! He should not be a female. If that time comes, he’ll be the biggest hindrance in the society.” He stated.

“Fine then.” Sanghyuk sighed before Wonshik could protest. “Let’s not do that plan. Instead, let’s just do our best during the small talk with Dr. Choi.” He said with confidence and the other guys nodded along with the same confidence. They were confident. Sanghyuk, Taekwoon, and Hongbin were almost too sure that they could leave the dreaded place right away. Wonshik, on the other hand, was quite sure that he would be able to stay in the hospital longer.

 

Jaehwan and Hakyeon’s plan was simple. They just had to get near to the gate, beat up all the guards, and Hakyeon would take care of the locks. But boy, did it backfire. When they arrived, not a single guard was there, Nurse Park was not there either. The locks? Screw those, the gate was opened. Perhaps, Nurse Park forgot to lock it once again.

Hakyeon looked around, looking for the guards or anyone who would stop them from leaving. “Why isn’t anyone here?” He asked, sounding annoyed because they would not be able to execute the plan.

Jaehwan sighed. “We failed before we even started. Let’s just head back now and tell them how we failed.” He suggested.

Hakyeon nodded in agreement. “I don’t really see any reason why we failed but let’s accept it like some real men.” With that, the two of them headed baack to the hangout with their ever-sad expressions. Just like that, the foolproof plan of the two idiots failed.


Author's Note: (Next Update?)

Missed me? Expect an update next week! ;-)

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, Sweatervest_Suhohongbeann, love_kris, Hala-bear, Zhuchu, Lola20, pink_baekbaek, vixxcha, and Uvichan1 thank you so much! It means a lot to me.