Depression & Suicide: An Open Letter for All of You [Not an Update]

One Great Escapade

This is not an update but please read it. I know that I haven't been able to update for two months and I seriously hate it when authors post another chapter which turns out to be a rant or the likes but I feel like I have to post this. I am sorry because this is supposed to be a happy/crack fan fiction then I am suddenly like this. I just want to speak about SHINee's Jonghyun's death. To be specific, I want to talk about the reason for his passing.

Think about it, he probably called out but no one responded. He probably cried yet no one wiped his tears. He probably complained but no one heard. He probably... he probably tried to hold on but the thin rope of hope finally broke.

This case? This is not the first one. Every year, hundreds, if not thousands, of people die of suicide, from South Korea to other places of the world. They were depressed, they were broken. Think about it, depression and suicide are something widespread nowadays. However, among the people who suffer from depression, how many people received treatment? How many were treated? Most probably, not even a half. Why? Because the world thinks that it's embarrassing! Because the world would think that you're insane! Because the world thinks that you get depressed because you want attention! Because they think that it's all so simple...  That, I know. I understand.

Our society has that belief that one can just "get over" depression as if it was something that one chooses to experience. Depression is NOT a choice, you do NOT choose to be depressed, it simply happens. It is a blackhole that swallows people. This might lead to suicide, that light in the end of a dark tunnel, an escape. But that's not it... I believe that it's not.

This is why I beieve that we should start paying more attention to mental health and we should promote taking care of it. This applies not just to South Korea but to the whole world. If not, who knows if another life might end? Who knows if another person would finally succumb to the darkness? I do not want that to happen, no one does. This is why I am talking to you today.

Sorry for the long rant, I am writing this from my heart, from my deepest thoughts and feelings.

I heard rumors about Shawols killing themselves, some might think it's stupid but if it is true, it is nothing stupid but something alarming.

I want to ask each and everyone of you to help each other, to lend a hand to stop depression, to prevent suicide. We do not need to comfort one another, we just have to listen and help if we could. We don't have to pretend that we understand, we just have to listen. Make them know that someone is there beside them.

Another thing, if there is anyone among you who is suffering from depression, having suicidal thoughts, please, please, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am no professional although I am studying Psychology as my specialized program in high school. Still, I hope that I can be of help. I also wish that this story, my stories would be of help. If you need anything, you can always contact me. I will be there for you. 

---- LHVP_cute


P.S. I'll start working on my updates later and post the next chapters on or before 12/25. Thank you~