Chapter 3

One Great Escapade

“Be prepared. The Doctor Choi is going to call any of you in a moment.” The old nurse informed the three people in the room – Hongbin, Jaehwan, and Wonshik. The three were finally informed that the nurse was called Nurse Park and she was the oldest and scariest nurse in the hospital.

“What for, Grandma Park?” Jaehwan asked, earning himself a glare from the nurse. So far, it had been almost three weeks since he was staying in the hospital and he did nothing but to get himself in trouble because of his talkative nature and insensitiveness. Seriously, three weeks with idiots really did make him crazier than he should. Among the six of them, Nurse Park obviously detested him the most. No one would be surprise if Nurse Park were to murder Jaehwan in his sleep, though that would be a bit impossible since Nurse Park’s back always hurt due to osteoporosis.

“Don’t call me ‘grandma’.” Nurse Park said. “He’s going to call you for evaluation so that he would know if you can leave in three months or extend your stay here. I am guessing that all of you would need three years to be released though.” She rolled her eyes before leaving.

The three boys groaned. No one liked that woman. No one liked Nurse Park. “I hate her more than I hate Hakyeon hyung.” Wonshik commented. “That means, I hate her so much. She and Hakyeon hyung are the reasons why I cannot have a peaceful life here.” He sighed. “I wish there’s a way to get rid of one of them.”

Both Jaehwan and Hongbin did not reply as they were both thinking deeply about something. They kept it to themselves, though. What were they thinking? They thought that if they just act normal, things would be easier and the doctor might finally decide to free them. Wonshik, on the other hand, decided to think deeply too. If the doctor would decide to let Hakyeon go earlier, wouldn’t it be much better for him? If that would happen, he would only need to deal with Nurse Park. However, their train of thoughts was cut off when the alarm for ‘playtime’ rang. Wonshik and Hongbin both groaned in annoyance but Jaehwan barked excitedly.

As if on cue, the door flung open, revealing the grinning Hakyeon with a frowning Taekwoon and a less annoyed looking Sanghyuk. “Hey, guys!” Hakyeon cheerfully greeted. “Have you heard about the evaluation yet?” He asked Hongbin, Wonshik, and Jaehwan.

“We did. We heard it from Grandma Park.” Jaehwan replied.

“I’m proud to say that I’m coming out of this place soon enough.” Hakyeon informed the others.

Sanghyuk raised a brow at Hakyeon. “How so?”

Hakyeon grinned. “You’ll see. I’ll act normally and the doctors would realize their mistake.” No one believed in him. That seemed as impossible as the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

All of a sudden, there was a knock on the door and Grandma Nurse Park opened the door, looking at the six guys with her usual scary eyes. “Cha Hakyeon. Doctor Choi will evaluate you first.”

Hakyeon grinned at the other five guys. “Expect me, guys.” But the others just stared at him in confusion as he left the ward excitedly, even shaking his as he walked. His hips never lied…

 

“So, Mr. Cha, you’re admitted here because you were seen playing with some other patients, right?” Dr. Choi asked, his moustache. Somehow, he looked like a detective rather than a doctor. Hakyeon nodded with a soft smile on his face. He was sitting on the couch right across the doctor. So far, he was sitting calmly, almost like a normal person would do. “But did you know that it wasn’t just the case? It was something else. The reason for your depression is a bit…” Dr. Choi trailed off.

Hakyeon furrowed his eyebrows. Was the doctor insulting his Leo? “Why? What’s wrong with Leo?”

“Leo?” Dr. Choi asked. “Is that the name of the cockroach? Tell me more about him.”

Hakyeon nodded. “Yes. He was a charismatic cockroach.” He explained, almost tearing up. “He acted like he hated me but we both cannot live without each other. But you know, things were hard for us that time. Because I was a celebrity, we rarely have time for each other. Me inside the TV, him in front of the TV, that’s how we hang out with each other.” He narrated, tearing up yet there’s a faint smile on his lips. “Because of the cameras and because of my manager, I cannot hold Leo’s hand when we walk together.”

Dr. Choi blinked. Even if it were not because of cameras and the manager, it was impossible to hold a cockroach’s hand when walking. Plus, what Hakyeon was saying was literally a lyric of a song! With a sigh, the doctor scribbled something on his files. “Mr. Cha, I’m sorry but I think that you would have to stay here longer.” He said, looking sorry.

Hakyeon nodded his head, still tearing up. “I can go back to the ward now, right?” He asked and Dr. Choi nodded in response, probably did not know how to deal with a crying person. Hakyeon was still tearing up when he left the doctor’s room. He wanted to visit Leo. That cockroach had its own grave. But to do that, Hakyeon would have to leave the hospital. “I miss you, Leo.” He muttered.

 

Dr. Choi blinked and so did Taekwoon who was sitting across him. It had been twenty minutes since Taekwoon settled down on the couch yet he had not said a word. He was just busy staring at the poor doctor and occasionally blinking his eyes. He planned to not talk – it’s not like he was talkative, anyway. He was sure that if he acted normal, he would get out of the hospital soon. He had been staying in the hospital for more than three weeks. He swore that the hospital did nothing good for his mental health. Instead, it’s bad for his poor mind.

Dr. Choi cleared his throat, feeling awkward as Taekwoon looked like he was prepared to murder anyone soon. “So…” Dr. Choi trailed off. As if on cue, there was a knock on the door. “Come in.” Dr. Choi said, secretly relieved that someone would help him escape the awkwardness. Nurse Park entered with a coffee in her hand. “Is that latte?” Dr. Choi asked.

Upon hearing that, Taekwoon’s heart started drumming and it rang in his ears. He curled his hands into a fist. It had been a while since he last drank a latte. His selfishness was growing. He wanted that cup of coffee. He did not even notice that Nurse Park already left. He did not care, anyway. All he cared about was that coffee. He gulped, watching how Dr. Choi almost drank from the cup. Screw everything. Screw getting out of that place. Taekwoon wanted the latte and no one could stop him. Everything except for the latte turned black for him. In a split second, Taekwoon was already on his feet with the latte in his hands. Dr. Choi? He was already lying down the floor. Yup, he was knocked down by Taekwoon. No one could blame the male, though. He loved the latte so much.

Dr. Choi coughed. “O-okay, Mr. Jung. I think you need more time here. Please go back to the ward.”

Taekwoon blinked his eyes before nodding and leaving the doctor’s office. He sipped on his drink happily but let out a sigh after realizing that he would have to stay with the others for a longer time. Then, his eyes landed on his coffee. Forget escaping. If there was latte, it was worth it… or not?

 

Jaehwan entered the office of Dr. Choi with confidence. He should get out of the hospital as fast as he could for he was casted in another musical. They would have a conference about it and he wanted to suggest that he should be the dog – if anyone would let the prince in Cinderella to be a dog, that was. “Hello, Dr. Choi~!” Jaehwan excitedly sang upon entering the office. “Oh, is that a black eye?” He chuckled when he saw that Dr. Choi had a black eye. “Got beaten up by your girlfriend? Or boyfriend, I won’t judge.”

Dr. Choi covered his black eye in embarrassment. “It’s nothing.” He said. “So… Mr. Lee Jaehwan, do you think that you’re weird—” He was not able to deliver his question well for it seemed like it was answered already. Yes, the answer was already in front of his eyes.

“Oh, look, Dr. Choi! It’s a fly! I shall name it Navi!” Jaehwan excitedly said. “In English, Nabi means ‘Butterfly’ and they’re colorful so I shall name that fly as Navi.” He explained. His logic was really something that people would never understand. He barked happily. For some reasons, he actually thought that he was normal enough to be sent back home – he meant, he did not even go on all fours and howled like he usually did inside the ward.

Dr. Choi looked at Jaehwan weirdly. “Mr. Lee, I think that you should stay here for a little longer.” He said.

 

Wonshik was nervous when he entered the office of Dr. Choi. Would he get caught? He wished not. He did not want to leave yet because that would mean that he would have to find a proper job and pay bills for himself. That would so much. “Good day, doctor.” He nervously greeted.

“Yes, sit down.” Dr. Choi said, looking like he was finally at ease. You could not blame him though, the three patients earlier that day was just too much for him to handle. As far as he knew, Wonshik was more on the normal side. “I have a good news for you, Mr. Kim.” He informed when Wonshik was seated already. “I think that you’ll be able to come home in no time. The nurses and other doctors observed that you seemed to be normal. Just a few more weeks and you can go home.”

Wonshik gulped. The doctor was obviously happy but Wonshik was not. “N-normal? Me?” Wonshik asked. He was panicking inside even though he appeared so calm in the outside. He knew he needed to do something. Without a warning, he scuttled around the room on all fours while howling and barking. If it was not obvious enough, he was imitating Jaehwan. He believed that Jaehwan was his only hope.

Dr. Choi was baffled. “So, they gave me the wrong information?” He questioned to himself. “Mr. Kim, Mr. Kim, please calm down.” He said. “I’m sorry but I am taking back what I just said. You cannot come home yet. We have to observe you more.” He explained to Wonshik. He had no idea how he made Wonshik happier than anyone else.

 

Hongbin let out a breath before entering the office. He could see nothing wrong with himself so why would he be scared, right? “Good day, Dr. Choi.” He greeted the doctor with his dazzling smile.

“Please take a seat, Mr. Lee.” Dr. Choi pointed to the chair across him. “So, your reason of being here was ‘prince syndrome’ and narcissism, right? Do you agree with this?”

“Just because I’m confident, I am a narcissist? Is it my fault to be handsome? Is it my fault to be awesome?” Hongbin asked. “Also, if I have those illness, don’t I just have to have some sessions? I wouldn’t have to be here right now.” Damn. When did he become so smart? He really was awesome.

“You have a point, Mr. Lee. But your co-workers are concerned due to the fact that you talk to the mirror all day long and they also said a lot of things but it’s too many to elaborate.” Dr. Choi explained.

Hongbin rolled his eyes. See? He was framed! All he did was talk to the mirror then his co-workers framed him because he was too awesome. “Why? I’m a handsome walking artwork! They framed me, okay? Why do I have to be here when I’m the most normal among the six of us who are under observation?”

“Well,” Dr. Choi trailed off. “Because of the issues you have within your office, we have to observe you further.” He said. “In a few months, you’ll be able to go home.”

Hongbin just pursed his lips before nodding. He wished to leave the hospital soon. He was not crazy but it seemed like staying with the other five for a few more days would drive him insane.

 

“I honestly think that you’re pretty normal, Mr. Han.” Dr. Choi told Sanghyuk who was sitting across him. “The doctors and nurses observed that you haven’t done anything crazy at all.” He added.

Sanghyuk smiled happily. He could finally get out of the hospital. It had been three weeks since he arrived and he did not do anything bad except for making fun of the sleeping Wonshik together with Hongin. He also sneaked into the storage room with Hakyeon – hey, the older guy forced him! He also played fetch with Wonshik and Jaehwan. Then, he stayed away from Taekwoon for a few days but decided that the scary coach was actually harmless so all he did was to annoy him (and borrow his boxers from time to time). All in all, nothing was a reason worthy enough for him to be kept inside the hospital. “I knew you’d realize that.” He proudly told Dr. Choi.

Before Dr. Choi could even dismiss Sanghyuk, there was a knock on the door. “Come in.” Dr. Choi said. The door opened, revealing Nurse Park with a tray of food in her hand. “Is that for lunch? But I still have a patient.” Dr. Choi pointed out, earning himself a glare from the nurse.

“What? You want me to go back to the kitchen and just return here later? What am I? A waiter? Be grateful that I even brought you your meal.” Nurse Park rumbled, placing the tray on Dr. Choi’s table before leaving.

Sanghyuk let out a soft chuckle. So, the old nurse was harsh to everyone. He should have known. That woman should be in a retirement house soon. Then, he froze on his spot when he realized something. He sniffed and sniffed and sniffed again. His eyes widened… no way…

“Mr. Han? What’s happening?” Dr. Choi asked in concern upon noticing Sanghyuk’s odd behavior.

“Gopchang*…” Sanghyuk muttered, almost tearing up in happiness. “Gopchang!” He exclaimed in a deep voice, making it seemed like he was possessed. “I want gopchang!” He yelled in a soprano voice before charging towards Dr. Choi who hid under the table, afraid that he would get beaten up.

[Gopchang* refers to either a dish of grilled intestines of cattle or pork in Korean cuisine or the intestines themselves. It’s Sanghyuk’s favorite in real life.]

After a few minutes, Dr. Choi decided to take a peek as Sanghyuk had fallen quiet. He saw the said boy devouring the gopchang as if it was his last meal, even saying incoherent words in a deep, scary voice. “E-enjoy your meal.” Dr. Choi nervously said. He was wrong once again. He could not let Sanghyuk go home in that condition. He let out a sigh. None of the six could go home after all.

 


Author's Note: 

Honesty, this chapter is just so disappointing. I am disappointed in it and I did not even bother to check if there are some mistakes and typos. Please bear with me? And so, because of that, I have a surprise... It's a double update! (No special chapter for now, though. I'll put a special chapter about Taekwoon in a week so stay tuned) ;-)

Like last time, I will also update next week, Wednesday (GMT+8), if I receive 5 comments. If not, I'll update the week after. Thanks for reading and commenting! ^^

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, and Sweatervest_Suhothank you so much! It means a lot to me.