Scene 5

StarStruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My sister was pacing like she always did whenever she was upset and/or worried. On the contrary, I was calmly sitting on the luggage as I read my book. She stopped in front of me and sighed. “You’re such a dork. You brought homework?”

 

I looked up. “Um, no. It’s called reading. You should try it sometime,” I said with mock sweetness.

 

“What? I read.”

 

I picked up a gossip magazine on top of her suitcase. Not to my surprise, the front cover was about Byun Baekhyun. “This? It’s all pictures.”

 

She snatched it out of my hands. “Don’t touch that!”

 

“Gladly,” I shot back and returned my attention back to my book.

 

Hyunjin lovingly dusted off any evidence of my holding it before she looked back at the car rental place where my parents were. “What’s taking them so long?” she complained. “Just get me a car already so I can go meet Byun Baekhyun.” The end of her sentence ended in a squeal.

 

I looked up at her in disbelief. “Uh, Hyunjin. You can’t drive,” I told her.

 

“Yes, I can. License,” she sang, holding up the small plastic card.

 

“Uh, no you can’t. Sign,” I returned in the same manner, pointing at a sign behind her. She turned around and read, “You must be at least twenty-five years old to drive or rent a car from Busan Car Rental? What?”

 

She whipped around, her hopes and dreams crushed. “How am I supposed to do what I want to do?”

 

My parents, who were walking up behind her, overheard her. My mom asked, “And what would that be?”

 

Hyunjin exclaimed in surprise, caught off guard. She hadn’t told our parents about her plan to stalk Baekhyun. I grinned, waiting to see what she would say.

 

But her answer startled me. “Take Eunsung sightseeing,” she replied, coming to stand behind me and pull me close to her in a sisterly way. I stared up at her disbelievingly.

 

“Well, I think your grandma’s got a car you can borrow,” my dad said.

 

She sighed in relief. “Sweet.”

 

The ride to grandma’s was uneventful. As we got closer to her home, my mom spotted my grandma on a ladder pruning the high bushes and began worrying about how she could get hurt. As soon as my dad parked, my mother quickly got out.

 

“See what I mean? Mom, be careful!” my mom scolded her with a tint of exasperation.

 

My grandma looked down at the man supporting her to joke, “Oh, here comes the cavalry.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter