Scene 27

StarStruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Double update :)

“Cut!”

 

Mr. Chanwook’s voice boomed over even the pouring rain and fake thunder. As a bell rang shrilly, the water from the pipes promptly shut off, the final and excess drops producing a small drizzle.

 

“Guys, you nailed it. Perfect, guys,” Mr. Chanwook praised. “That was the one. That was perfect. Let’s go one more time.”

 

I made my way to him as he turned around to sit back on his director’s high chair. “Circle. Great take. Great--” he stopped when he saw me. “Baekhyun!” he greeted me like an old pal with an informal handshake.

 

“Buddy. Great news. You’re in. Rehearsals start on Monday,” he eagerly informed me before I could explain why I had come all the way to his set.

 

My smile fell. “Um, actually, I’m not available,” I said awkwardly but firmly.

 

“Not a problem,” he reassured. “We’ll change the date.”

 

“Oh. Uh, no. I came to say, you know, thanks for the offer, but if I have to lie to be in your little club,” I said, shrugging, “think I’ll pass.”

 

The man looked visibly taken aback. I gave a short nod, lips pressed in a small line, and left.

 

Mr. Chanwook watched me go. “Wow,” he said to no one in particular, pointing at me. “Kid’s got edge. Fire. I like that.”

 

The bell rang again, and he refocused on his job, forgetting all about me. “And cue the rain!”

 

I briefly stopped to watch the torrential downpour restart and the actors get back into character. Did I feel like I gave up the potential to explore a new territory? Of course. But did I also feel loads better as though a heavy burden had been taken off my chest? Absolutely.

 

And now, for my parents.

 

In the car, I called my mother and discovered she and my father were both at my home, working. Perfect.

 

Once I reached my house, I searched for my parents and eventually found them in the backyard, reclining in pool chairs but with computers on their laps, busily typing rather than relaxing. I went down the stairs to join them, mustering up my courage and repeating in my mind what I wanted to say to them.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter