Everything Changes

Dear Brother

Taeyeon stood in front of the mirror, trying to see if she wore her hair up instead of down, when he brother brust in and said, 'Choi Minho is a class A PRICK!' The woman turned, looking at her brother seeing his face all red and the vein in his neck was popping. 'Kibum, what happened? I thought you went to get dresses.' Her brother leaned against the wall, jaw clenched and he said, 'I was. When I saw Minho and Jonghyun outside. Looking very friendly.' Taeyeon let down her hair, and she said, 'They are friends. Hardly anything wrong with them hanging out.' Kibum looked at her, and he said, 'I figured that. But you didn't see what I saw noona. I called Minho to ask him if he busy and he lied to me. Told me he was at home.' Taeyeon wasn't sure what to make of that. 'Why would he lie?'

'I don't know! For all we know, both of them are playing us.'

'Don't say that! Jonghyun wouldn't do that to me.'

Kibum ran a hand over his hair, and he said, 'I hope so noona. Jonghyun is a good guy. I thought Minho was too. I asked him did he want to hang out so...I'll see him tonight.' Taeyeon stepped over, carefully in her high heels, taking her brothers hand. 'Minho is a good guy too. He wouldn't cheat on you.' She kissed her brothers hand and then she said, 'Now. Did you find me any other dresses or not?' Kibum looekd rather sheepish as he said, 'I did. But after what I saw...I dropped them.' He hung in his head in shame and Taeyeon just giggled, 'Oh come on! Let's just stick with this one...I like it.' She twirled around in the baby pink dress, seeing how well it went with her blond hair. 'I like it too. I need a drink...' Taeyeon changed out of her dress and once they had paid for everything, she got a text from Jonghyun. 'What does it say?' Her and Kibum sat in a cafe inside the mall, surrounded by bags and drinking coffee.

Taeyeon read the message and she said, 'He just said he's excited to see me later. And that he has something to tell me...' She looked at her brother who was sipping his coffee like nothing was his business. 'What do you think he wants to tell me?' Kibum shrugged and he said, 'Whatever it is...just brace yourself.' He drained his drink his sister sitting there, thinking to herself as he searched on his own phone, probably checking his Instagram when it bleeped too. 'Is it Minho?' Kibum rolled his eyes and he went, 'If it is he better...' He looked at his phone and he went, 'It's from Taemin. Says...it's an emergency and he wants to talk. Right now.' Kibum gathered his stuff, and he looked at Taeyeon who said, 'No it's ok. Tiffany is working upstairs, I'll wait for her shift to finish.' Kibum blew her a kiss and said, 'I'll see you at home.' Before he dashed off...leaving his sister to her own thoughts.

 

When Kibum finally made it to Taemins house, he ran up and barely knocked the door before Taemin answered, his eyes all red and puffy. 'Oh my god...' Kibum stepped inside, pulling Taemin into a tight hug, kicking the door shut. 'What's wrong Tae?' The poor kid sobbed into his shoulder, his entire body shaking and he said, 'Onew...had a fight...he just left...' Kibum held onto him tighter, his hair and he said, 'Come on...I'll make you some hot chocolate and we can talk.' Taemin stepped back, the two of them walking into the living room of his apartment and he said, 'Will you put whipped cream on my hot chocolate?' Kibum smiled, and he said, 'I'll even put chocolate sprinkles on it.' He went into the kitchen, made up the hot chocolate and when he came in with it, he saw a small smile on Taemins lips. 'Thank you...'

'So. What was this fight about?' Taemin fell back against his couch and he said, 'Onew is...joining the army after high school.' Kibum froze, his mug barely touching his lips and he said, 'I see. Had he not mentioned it before?' Taemin wiped at it his eyes and he said, 'He had...but I never thought that he would actually do it. His father joined after he left high school and he said that he wants to honour him or something, and I...I said that he shouldn't join for that reason alone and that it was such a huge step and what if he...he doesn't come back...' Kibum saw the poor kids face and he scooted closer, letting Taemin rest his head on his shoulder. 'I know it sounds stupid. I am happy that he wants to...do this for his dad but...what if he goes overseas and I never see him again?'

'Don't say that.' Kibum rubbed his shoulder and he said, 'Onew would always come back.' Taemin sighed, his black hair falling over his face and he whispered, 'Everyone will leave eventually. Onew...you and Taeyeon...I'll be alone.' Now those words, all but broke Kibums heart. He set down his mug, wrapping both arms around his friend and he said, 'I am so sorry Taemin. I've been all preoccupied...I've been ignoring you haven't I?' Taemin rested agaisnt him, Kibum hating how much his friend was hurting. He had been in Taemins life since he was three years old...when bullies used to pick on him. Kibum chased them away. 'It isn't your fault. I knew eventually we would all go seperately. But yeah you're not wrong.'

Kibum smiled and he went, 'You are such a little ...' Taemin giggled, sitting up, wiping away his tears and he said, 'I won't know what to do with myself once you leave.' Kibum fixed his hair and he said, 'It will only be one more year. After that, you can come to New York, join that dance school.' Taemins cheeks turned pink and he said, 'You'll have room in your place for me?' Kibum leaned his forehead against Taemins and whispered, 'There is always place for my best friend...'