Taste

Scribbles of emotions

Sweet

They met on a summer.

The weather sweltering hot and humid.

“Welcome to Flavourful Emotions!”

Hyejin greeted along with her two colleagues as they heard the ice - cream parlour’s bell rang.

The ice - cream parlour, with a tint of vintage flavour, is a hit in this neighbourhood. During summer, especially, when people would flock in by groups to avoid the unbearable heat and to have a taste of the ice cream that melts off the heat in their bodies.

It was after noon time, the sun lowering down, preparing to set and there were a number of customers scattered around the parlour.

Some having a glass of milkshakes or cold drinks, others having waffle with ice cream topping or just ice cream itself.

“Hi! May I have a chocolate ice cream cone and a mint ice cream?”

The girl ordered brightly, her eyes looked around the display of ice cream eagerly before looking up at Hyejin and smiled.

The dimple that deepened on her right cheek made Hyejin stared at her a few seconds longer.

She tipped her head to the side when she saw Hyejin not moving after receiving her orders.

The movement of her fringe snapped Hyejin out of her reverie.

“Sure, coming up in a minute.”

Hyejin cleared before sliding the door opened and picked up the ice cream scoop. She scooped the rich brown chocolate ice cream into a big ball and topped in on the cone, before doing the same to the lush green mint ice cream.

“Here you go, may the taste melts into your heart!”

Hyejin recited their parlour’s motto as she passed the ice cream cones to the brunette, who walked back after paying.  Hyejin watched as she gave a brief smile before the chocolate ice cream and walked away from the counter. Hyejin’s eyes followed her, watching her joining a short black hair lady on a table.

The mint ice cream was passed to the lady and a kiss was pressed onto the the dimpled cheek.

There were bright sweet smiles on their faces as the couple devoured their ice cream happily.

Hyejin noticed the chocolate ice cream were shared, but the brunette did not eat the mint.

It was a pity.

Hyejin sighed quietly.

That was one cute girl.

But she’s attached.

Nevertheless, her sweet smile was imprinted on Hyejin’s mind deeply.

And it wasn’t the last time that this sweet smile affected Hyejin.

 

 


Sour

Hyejin continued to see the brunette and her girlfriend every week in the parlour. Thursday, some time around 4 - 5pm where the crowd was lesser. It seemed like they were university students. The brunette always have a sketchbook with her while the girlfriend, mostly phone in her hands and at times, books with equations on the cover.

They seemed to be addicted to ice cream too. Not that Hyejin nor her boss would mind. It brings business and it’s better scooping ice cream than swatting flies in Hyejin’s opinion.

Throughout the times they’ve visited the parlour, the girlfriend always sticks to her mint ice cream while the brunette had a blast of adventure with the vast variety of ice cream in the parlour.

“Ahn Hye Jin!”

Someone shouted right beside her ears and Hyejin jumped up high, toppling the ice cream scoop over and it rattled on the floor.

“Ah, fuc-“

Hyejin stopped herself in time when she saw that it was her boss’s lover.

“Seriously? Don’t you have anything better to do, Byulyi Unnie?”

Hyejin mumbled behind gritted teeth and MoonByul grinned before picking up the scoop and dumped it in the sink behind.

“Don’t you have anything better to do than staring at the girl who is attached?”

Moonbyul hissed at her before glancing at the couple, where the brunette was looking over at them while her girlfriend was immersed in her phone.

“It’s fall and it’s only two weeks down to winter. Who would come and have ice cream at such cold weather?”

Hyejin mumbled as she placed her fist under her chin and sank lower into the high chair behind the counter.

“Well, your crush does.”

Moonbyul answered as she took a bottle of coke from the fridge and opened it with a hiss, the air escaping loudly in the rather quiet parlour.

Hyejin glared at her with slitted eyes.

“2,000 Won, thank you.”

She dragged out and watched as Moonbyul choked.

“Hey, I’m also a boss here.”

“Yongsun Unnie said that you’ve to pay too.”

“You’re ridiculous.”

“Say that to Yongsun Unnie.”

Hyejin smirked when Moonbyul merely rolled her eyes and drank the coke quietly.

“Hey…”

“What?”

“That girl there? Your crush’s girlfriend?”

“What’s with her?”

“I saw her a few times coming with another girl for the past few weeks.”

Hyejin snapped her head over to Moonbyul.

“They seemed cuddly and loving. Looks more like a couple than them right now.”

Moonbyul whispered as she cocked her head towards them.

Hyejin’s eyes followed after and stared at them quietly. The brunette was done with her ice cream, staring down at her book while her girlfriend was typing furiously on her phone, a smile kept hidden at the bay.

“So…? There’s nothing I could do anyway.”

Hyejin whispered while Moonbyul shrugged.

“It would be great if you could.”

Moonbyul placed a hand on her shoulder and gave it a squeeze before disappearing behind the kitchen.

Hyejin watched as her crush and her girlfriend left soon after, the brunette tagging slightly behind the taller girl. The long coat seemed too big on her and Hyejin clenched her jaws. She walked towards the previously occupied table to clean the mess and felt her heart fell.

The ice cream wasn’t finished, most of them was left to melt as it turned to pastel green liquid in the cup.

Hyejin remembered that the brunette had ordered a cup of lime sherbet today.

She glanced back at the empty walkway outside the parlour’s glass door and wondered if it’s because that the ice cream wasn’t to her liking today?

Clearing up the table, Hyejin walked back to the counter and grabbed a taster spoon before scrapping a little of the lime sherbet and eats it.

The sherbet melted in .

Hyejin frowned.

It’s extremely sour today.

But Hyejin know it’s not really that case.

It’s probably because of the news she heard and the downcasted look she saw on that brunette that made her felt this way.

Because, when Hyejin went to sleep that night, the sourness was still drenched around her heart.

 

 

 

Bitter

"Hong Won Shi! How dare you? So you've been cheating me with this... this high schooler through the time?!"

A lady shouted out loud, finger pointing hard at the brunette who looked confused at the livid expression that lady was having.

Her girlfriend snapped her head back and her eyes widened.

"Shi ah? Whose... this?"

The brunette asked softly, despite her heart already had an answer based on the interaction going on now.

"Wait! I can explain!"

Won Shi stood up, apparently, talking to the lady that was standing instead of the girl that was sitting opposite her.

"Right! Explain my head! You're cheating!"

A loud slap was heard before gasping sounds echoed in the ice cream parlour.

"I'm sorry ladies, but I think you have to take this outside. We're running a business here."

Moon Byul, who was watching the whole time, stood out from behind the counter and went towards them.

"You've misunderstood! I - I was going to break up with her!"

"Yeah? My !"

The lady spat angrily while Won Shi shook her head.

"She seduced me first!"

Won Shi pointed at the soulless girl whom had received her answer.

"I don't give a damn who did wrong first. You cheated on me and damn you too!"

The lady lunges forward and grabbed the glass of water before splashing it towards the brunette who was sitting down emotionlessly.

"Hey! That's enough!"

Moon Byul warned out loud as she walked towards the brunette, feeling a strong sense of protection despite not knowing who did wrong first.

"Leave! Before I call the police!"

Moon Byul hissed behind gritted teeth and watched as the lady took flight, while the perpetrator of the whole incident ran after her. She didn't even took a glance back at Hyejin's crush.  
 
"Hey!"

Hyejin called out as two ladies bumped into her while she's on the way in. She raised an eyebrow when she saw the familiar figure running at the back of the unknown lady. Shrugging her shoulder, she entered the parlour and that's only when realization dawned on her.

The dimple brunette girl was sitting at a table, her face wet with orange liquid dripping down and her clothes were painted with a splash of orange.

"What -"

Without hesitation, Hyejin shrugged off her winter coat before walking hurriedly to the brunette and covered her with it.

“Here! Clean yourself up.”

Hyejin looked behind her and saw Moonbyul holding out a towel towards the brunette.

“Bring her in and have her clean up, Hyejin ah.”

Moonbyul jerked her head towards the back of the counter as she handed the towel to Hyejin.

Sighing quietly, Hyejin took over the towel and crouched down to the brunette’s eye level.

“Hey? Do follow me to the back so as to clean up. Hmm?”

The brunette shook her head with a small smile as she looked briefly in Hyejin's eyes.

"It's okay. Sorry to make a scene in your workplace."

She whispered and Hyejin frowned. She slipped her hand into the brunette's hand, feeling it cold and small before standing up.

"C'mon, it's cold outside."

Hyejin mentioned softly before tugging the girl up and pulled her into the staff room. She settled her down in a chair before going to her locker and fumbled around. Hyejin managed to pull out a spare brown sweater before walking back to the girl.

“Here, change into this. It’s a spare shirt of mine, I hope you don’t mind.”

The girl took over the sweater with gratefulness before she burst into tears.

Hyejin was stunned and she stood there motionlessly as she watched the body quivered in silence.

She clenched her jaws tightly before placing her hand on top of her head, soothing it softly.

Hyejin waited until the body stopped trembling and the sobs subsided before turning her body around.

“Change into the clothes.”

She walked out and returned a few minutes later with permission.

The girl’s eyes were red, puffy and avoiding eye contact with Hyejin at all cost. But Hyejin doesn’t mind. She placed a cup of drink into her hands, eyes not looking into hers too.

“It’s Americano. I hope it warms you up before going back into the cold weather outside.”

The girl nodded and stood up to left.

“I’ll return your shirt soon.”

Hyejin waved her off with a smile, “It’s alright…”

“Wheein.”

The brunette replied before bowing gently.

“Thanks, Hyejin ssi.”

Wheein greeted before walking out of the staff room with Hyejin following behind.

Hyejin heaved a sigh as she watched Wheein drank a mouth of coffee from the cup as she stepped out of the parlour.

She knew after what Wheein had been through, the coffee probably tasted more bitter than it was and her heart felt colder than the weather right now.

But what Hyejin doesn’t know, was that Wheein went home with a soft warmness blanketed over her heart.

 

 

 

 


Spicy

The next time Hyejin met Wheein came as a surprise. She was about to have dinner with MoonByul and Solar when Wheein appeared beside Solar.

That was two months later.

It turned out that Wheein was Solar’s cousin. A close one.

Moonbyul shrugged when Hyejin nudged at her.

“Seems like there was some trouble going on at Wheein’s house that’s why she transferred to Seoul for her studies. YongSun Unnie also only get to know about it 2 months ago.”

Moonbyul filled in Hyejin as they walked behind the cousins who were thinking about what they should eat for dinner.

“YongSun was livid when she knew what happened, especially the incident that happened in her parlour. She also kinda banned Wheein from going there for the time being.”

Hyejin nodded quietly. That’s the reason why she hasn’t been seeing her for the past two months.

“But, YongSun was thankful for your help…”

Moonbyul smiled gently and there was panic in Hyejin’s eyes, fearing that her secret would be expose by Moonbyul.

“I didn’t say anything. I don’t think it’s my position too. So don’t worry.”

Hyejin heaved a silent sigh before thanking her softly.

They had Barbecue for dinner that night… along with a few bottles of beers and soju.

Hyejin managed to find out a bit more about Wheein with the courage given by alcohol.

She knew they were of the same age, Wheein is studying designing, love singing and had a quirky laugh that would always put a smile on her face. She also noticed that Solar was very protective of Wheein and would baby her whenever she could, even when she’s tipsy.

Wheein, on the other hand, got to know more about Hyejin from Moonbyul and Solar.

She found out they were of the same age, Hyejin studied culinary and had a knack on dessert and pastry. She was Moonbyul’s protege and was pulled in to work with Solar with Moonbyul’s help. She was also a genius at creation and was the one that created every single thing on Solar’s Ice Cream Parlour’s menu.
 
It was almost midnight when they left the restaurant laughing.

Moonbyul shook her head when she realised that they had two drunks to take care of. Naturally, she took over the role for Solar and embarrassingly, she asked favour from Wheein to take care of Hyejin. After a short distance walk to where Moonbyul parked her car, she placed Solar gently onto the passenger seat and buckled her up before going to the backseat and assisted Wheein.

Moonbyul drove off shortly and the journey was quiet with Solar falling asleep, Wheein and Hyejin both looking out of the windows.

“Unnie.”

Hyejin drawled out softly and Moonbyul hummed back in response.

“I know what ice cream I should make next!”

Hyejin slurred out loudly as she moved to the front, hugging Moonbyul’s seat from the back and Solar moved from the commotion. Moonbyul hushed Hyejin in panicked while Wheein laughed when she heard Hyejin tutted at it.

“I’m inspired. I have a good idea!”

Hyejin cheered and Moonbyul grimaced as she focused on the road.

“What kind of good idea can a drunk comes out with?”

Moonbyul shot back and Hyejin scowled before turning around and looked at Wheein.

“I have a good idea.”

She repeated as she leaned closer to Wheein, eyes staring into Wheein’s.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Since all of us love Kimchi Jjigae, I’ve decided to create Kimchi Jjigae Ice Cream! It’s spicy enough to keep all of us warm in the winter!”

Hyejin exclaimed excitedly while Moonbyul gagged from her seat.

“Isn’t it exciting? Good idea right?”

Hyejin asked Wheein expectantly, blatantly ignoring Moonbyul’s reaction.

“Err… I hope so?”

Wheein answered carefully and Hyejin pouted before shaking her head hardly, as if to shake off her drunkness.

“It’ll be a good idea…”

She said as she looked up and stared into Wheein’s eyes again. This time, the clarity of her eyes were so bright that Wheein was taken aback.

“You’ll like it. You need some spiciness in your life. You still look… so… sad.”

She whispered before pulling her body back and went back to stare out of the window. She heard Moonbyul apologising on her behalf to Wheein.

When Wheein  and Solar alighted the car and went back to Solar’s apartment with Moonbyul’s help, Hyejin closed her eyes tightly.

She opened her eyes when she heard Moonbyul returning to the car.

“That was brash of you to talk in that way.”

Moonbyul reprimanded as she drove off.

Hyejin kept her silence.

“I know you’re not even tipsy.”

Hyejin was silence for a long time.

“I hate to see her still so sad, Unnie.”

She finally replied before she alighted the car.

She hated to see the dullness in Wheein’s eyes. She missed the bright, sparkling eyes that she saw when they first met.

 

 

 

Bitter - sweet

It was three weeks after New Year and Hyejin was clad in her long trench coat with a sweater and jeans underneath. She entered the ice cream parlour with her head down and hands deep in her pocket.

Man, she hated the cold.

Business is usually slower during winter and Hyejin disliked it as she would usually spend her hours either sitting down behind the counter doing nothing or serving tourists only.

She heaved a sigh quietly as she went into the staff room and quickly changed into her uniform, tied her hair up into a bun before downing on the cap. She wore an apron and hurriedly out the room before washing her hands. She then started to take out all the ice cream containers from the kitchen’s freezer before placing in the display freezer.

She was done setting up the parlour with a few colleagues after an hour and sat behind the counter. Seeing that there was no one around, Hyejin quickly whipped out her notebook and started brainstorming on the new flavour of ice cream for the upcoming spring season.

She was disrupted for a few times when customers streamed in for their coffee and pastry for breakfast, but quickly fall back into her brainstorming soon after.

“Thinking of your Kimchi Jjigae ice cream?”

Hyejin snapped her head up at the voice and gaped at the sight in front of her.

Wheein stood right in front of the display freezer, a teasing smile dancing on her face.

Hyejin closed her notebook clumsily before standing up and greeted the girl.

Wheein was no longer a brunette. She had her hair cut short and dyed blonde.

Somehow, she looked fresher and… happier.

“Hi! Erm, what would you like for today?”

Hyejin stuttered as she stared on.

“Cold, I thought we’re friends. Well, I’m thinking of Kimchi Jjigae Ice cream.”

Wheein said as she looked around the display freezer, looking for the said ice cream.

Hyejin laughed embarrassingly.

“I tried, but it’s a fail.”

Wheein looked up in shocked.

“You really tried it?”

Hyejin nodded and shrugged.

“Creation is all about risk and failure, ya’know?”

Wheein laughed, with her head thrown back and Hyejin decided at that moment, she quite liked the sound and sight of it.

“I can’t believe you. You’re a daredevil, aren’t you?”

Wheein said as she looked into Hyejin’s eyes softly.

“What makes you says that?”

Hyejin replied casually as she slide opened the display door with a cup and scoop in hand.

“The fact that you dare to say that I looked sad on our first official meeting when you’re not even drunk.”

Hyejin froze at the answer, not daring to look up at all.

“How - “

“YongSun Unnie told me it take more than six bottles of soju for yourself, for you to get tipsy, much less drunk. But the four of us only drank four bottles that night.”

Wheein said as she bend down to the same level as Hyejin behind the counter.

“I’m sor-“

“You don’t have to. I actually want to thank you for that.”

Wheein said gently as she knocked on the display glass to get Hyejin’s attention.

“Thank me?”

Hyejin muttered out slowly as she finally found the courage to look up back at Wheein.

The smile on her face was dazzling, the dimple was deep on her cheek and Hyejin knew she couldn’t fall any deeper in love with this girl than she is now.

“Well, why cry over some worthless ice cream when I could have so much more to have in front of me right?”

Wheein replied as she spread her hands towards the array flavour of ice cream in between them.

Hyejin smiled lightly as she went ahead and scoop two spoons of white ice cream into the cup before passing it to Wheein.

“What’s this flavour?”

Wheein asked as she received the cup. She couldn’t see the name of the ice cream anywhere in front of the container.

“Try it. It’s my new creation.”

Hyejin said as she walked back to her notebook and took a seat there. Wheein followed her and stood in front of the counter desk, placing the cup in front of the notebook before scooping the ice cream up and ate it.

Hyejin looked on expectantly as she watched Wheein ate it.

A frown appeared on Wheein’s face before it was scrunched up. Hyejin waited a few seconds more and saw Wheein’s facial expression relaxed to a smile.

She watched as Wheein opened her eyes slowly with a spark that she had never seen before, and it excites her.

“WOW! This is, this is superb! What’s this flavour?!”

Wheein exclaimed excitedly as she continued to ravage the ice cream in front of her.

Hyejin laughed as she watched her eat in excitement.

“It’s Champagne. Bitter at first, but sweet in the end. Think of it like the little spark we need in our life at times.”

Hyejin explained slowly and Wheein stopped her eating before looking up to a pair of eyes that were filled with softness.

A smile slowly graced upon her face when she understood the explanation.

“Yeah, just the little spark I need in my life.”

Wheein whispered softly as she placed another spoon into .

“I know… a place that sells great champagne. Wanna try it together?”

Wheein asked shyly and Hyejin widened her eyes before nodding her head hastily.

“Sure! I mean - yeah, it’s cool. Good for another inspiration you know…?”

Wheein laughed as she opened her bag and took out her wallet.

“It’s on the house!”

Hyejin said as she hastily placed her hand on top of Wheein’s to stop her.

Both of them blushed and Hyejin quickly retracted her hands back with a soft murmur of apology.

“Well, thanks! I’ll see you tonight after the shop closes?”

Wheein said slowly as she walked backwards with a shy smile on her face.

“Yeah - sure! I’ll be here, waiting.”

Hyejin replied with a big smile and wave as Wheein left the parlour.

She jumped in joy and punched her fist in the air once Wheein was out of her sight.

“YES!”

Hyejin exclaimed before calming herself down and took a deep breath.

There was a faint scent of fragrant left behind and Hyejin slowly opened her eyes when she realised what it was.

The scent of tangerine.

Along with her own scent of lilac.

With a big grin, Hyejin opened her book hurriedly as she quickly scribbled these two scents down, with Wheein’s sparkling eyes in her mind.

She had found her inspiration for the next season’s ice cream.

But what Hyejin doesn’t know is, that was also the start of her inspiration with Wheein for the rest of her life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PS: I hope everyone would like this piece of work. I know it's been a while since I updated! Sorry about that!