Love - Strange

Scribbles of emotions

 

The weather was cooling. Gentle wind blowing through the streets, reminding everyone that spring is here.

 

 

It was late at night, but the streets were bustling as the weekend has arrived.

 

 

“No way.”

 

 

“Yes way.”

 


“No way.”

 

 

Wheein cried as she hit the girl beside her gently.

 

 

“It’s true! You can check with Byulie Unnie when you see her in school then.”

 

 

Hyejin replied coolly as she adjusted the bag on her shoulder.

 

 

“Wha… if that really happens, what did Yong Sun Unnie do then?”

 

 

Wheein asked as she hooked her arms around Hyejin.

 

 

“I have no idea… I don’t wish to know either.”

 

 

Hyejin shuddered in terror with the slight thought of it. Wheein laughed at her girlfriend’s antics.

 

 

“You’re so exaggerating!”

 

 

Hyejin scrunched her nose, head high before she whispered out.

 

 

“We shall see if she has bruises on her body on Monday then.”

 

 

Wheein laughed out loud, totally amused by the thoughts and Hyejin’s expression.

 

 

They were walking back towards Hyejin’s hostel after dinner and were stopped by a voice when they were in front of the entrance.

 

 

“Hyejin.”

 

 

A slightly taller girl leaning against the wall beside the entrance straightened her body as she saw them closing by.

 

 

Wheein recognized the face first and quickly slipped her arms out of Heyjin’s. She then noticed Hyejin’s bright smile disappeared when the younger girl’s eyes met the other.

 

 

“Hi.”

 

 

Wheein greeted formally with a bow as a form of respect to their senior. The older girl greeted her back with a small smile before turning her attention back to Hyejin.

 

 

“Can we talk? Please?”

 

 

The senior asked gently but Hyejin doesn’t say anything. Her expression remained grim but it turned softer when she turned back to face Wheein.

 

 

“Go and wash up first?”

 

 

Wheein nodded her head and entered the building after feeling Hyejin’s loving pat at her lower back.

 

 

It was only until Wheein was out of sight that Hyejin turned her sight back to the older girl.

 

 

“It’s been a while.”

 

 

Hyejin tucked her hands into her pockets before nodding her head, eyes not really meeting the older girl.

 

 

“Yeah, it’s been.”

 

 

“Um… shall we talk in the car?”

 

 

The older girl suggested as she pointed to the black car at the side of the road. Hyejin threw a glance at it before looking back at the older girl.

 

 

“Where are we going, HeeSun Senior?”

 

 

“Nowhere… I just thought it’d be better to talk in the car.”

 

 

HeeSun replied carefully while Hyejin shook her head gently.

 

 

There’s no point.

 

Entering the car means another long meaningless talk or worse, the older girl could just drive off to somewhere.

 

Hyejin doesn’t want that to happen, she doesn’t want any other meaningless talk.

 

She has Wheein waiting for her in the apartment and she doesn’t want to talk to her any longer than necessary.

 

 

“We can just speak here.”

 

 

HeeSun paused awkwardly for a moment before nodding her head with a bitter smile.

 

 

“Fine, how are you doing nowadays then?”

 

 

“Great.”

 

 

“That’s nice to hear.”

 

 

There was a long silence pause between them before HeeSun spoke again.

 

 

“How’s your wrist? I… I heard from the juniors that you hurt it at the last competition.”

 

 

Hyejin looked down at the wrist that was wrapped by a wrist guard and shrugged.

 

 

“It’s getting better.”

 

 

“Right…”

 

 

HeeSun replied and looked on at the younger girl who was looking back at her quietly.

 

 

“I’m… I just suddenly thought of you so I just drop by…”

 

 

“Thanks for your concern.”

 

 

There was another long pause and HeeSun sighed.

 

 

“I better get going then…if there’s time… let’s grab a meal together, Hyejin ah.”

 

 

Hyejin merely nodded on and turned to looked on as HeeSun entered the car.

 

 

“Let’s meet up for a meal…”

 

 

“Yeah… I’ll ask the other teammates too.”

 

 

Hyejin replied and HeeSun looked down before nodding her head.

 

 

At least, she’s still willing to meet up for a meal. It’s better than nothing, she thought.

 

 

HeeSun bid her goodbye and entered her car. She watched as Hyejin bowed and turned her body, entering the apartment straight without much of a glance back towards her.

 

 

HeeSun sighed loudly. What more did she expect? She was the one who ruined everything between them. There’s no way they could turn back to the past anymore.

 

Everything has changed.

 

 

*

 

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Hyejin asked as she watched a freshly showered Wheein standing in the middle of her one bedroom apartment.

 

 

“Huh? Oh you’re back?”

 

 

Wheein took a look at the clock that was hanging above the dining table, noticed that it has only been 20 minutes.

 

 

“Yeah… I’m back and all I see is you standing in the middle of the room looking at nothing.”

 

 

Hyejin replied as she looked on at Wheein weirdly.

 

 

“I – I was just thinking of what to do.”

 

 

Hyejin chuckled as she went to the fridge and took a bottle of water and drink it.

 

 

“I thought we agreed on watching a movie?”

 

 

Hyejin questioned her back as she placed the bottle on the table before walking past Wheein and entered her room to get her pajamas.

 

 

“Yeah… but I didn’t know how long you would be gone…”

 

 

Wheein answered softly before shaking her head. She went forward and hopped on to the couch, turning on the smart TV and went online to search for the movie they both wanted to watch.

 

 

“I’ll be out in 10!”

 

 

Hyejin said as she entered the bathroom.

 

 

20 minutes later, both of them were on the couch, watching the movie quietly.

 

 

“Are you sleeping?”

 

 

Hyejin asked gently as she threw a glance at the smaller girl who was laying on her side, leaning her head against the armrest, legs curled up to her chest.

 

 

“No…”

 

 

Wheein replied quietly.

 

 

“Then why are you so quiet?”

 

 

“Because we’re watching a movie?”

 

 

Wheein replied back and Hyejin chuckled.

 

 

“What’s on your mind?”

 

 

She asked as went forward and squeezed herself between Wheein and the couch, spooning the girl in her arms.

 

 

“Nothing?”

 

 

“Liar.”

 

 

Wheein pouted, hated that Hyejin could see through her so easily.

 

 

But they were friends since middle school. It would be a lie if they don’t know each other like the back of their hands.

 

Wheein felt light kisses planted on the side of her head and she sighed before straightening her body and turned to lie on her back.

 

 

She doesn’t feel like saying it out. She doesn’t want to appear as a petty girlfriend.

 

 

Moreover, she knew how important HeeSun was to Hyejin.

 

 

Afterall, the girl did like the senior for 3 years.

 

 

“Are you… don’t tell me… you’re jealous?”

 

 

Hyejin asked carefully when she noticed that Wheein didn’t say anything out like how she usually would.

 

 

“I’m not…”

 

 

Wheein mumbled softly but Hyejin just laughed. It irritated Wheein.

 

 

How could Hyejin laughed at her insecurities?

 

 

“Why are you laughing?”

 

 

“Because you’re cute!”

 

 

“I’m not!”

 

 

Wheein huffed angrily and turned her back to Hyejin, staring at the television with a frown.

 

 

“You shouldn’t be jealous about her at all. You know I only love you.”

 

 

“But you loved her for 3 years… and we’re only together for a year.”

 

 

Wheein mumbled on sadly.

 

 

“Is that how you measured love?”

 

 

Hyejin asked seriously, turning Wheein to face her.

 

 

“Yeah…”

 

 

“What about those day since I met you in middle school? I love you that time too.”

 

 

“That’s not… that’s friendship love.”

 

 

Hyejin stared at Wheein quietly.

 

 

Has Wheein always been thinking like this ever since they dated?

 

 

“But that’s love to me too.”

 

 

“Yeah… but it’s different.”

 

 

Wheein muttered on, feeling tears gathering in her eyes as she remembered those days where she could only look on at Hyejin loving HeeSun one-sidedly like how she did to Hyejin.

 

 

“How different? I was here when you needed me. I remembered our anniversary and your birthdays. I accompanied you whenever you are scared and etc.”

 

 

“But you’re gone right when she called you.”

 

 

Wheein argued; voice louder than before and a tear fall from her eyes.

 

 

Hyejin saw it.

 

 

She felt her heartache at the lone tear that fell from the sparkling eyes she fell in love with.

 

 

“Then you shouldn’t be worried anymore.”

 

 

Hyejin whispered… finally understand why Wheein is acting this way.

 

 

Finally understood why Wheein would turn tensed whenever HeeSun was in their sight.

 

 

Finally understood why Wheein would withdrew any skin contact they have when HeeSun was around them.

 

 

The girl was afraid to be broken again. Afraid that Hyejin would leave her whenever HeeSun is near.

 

 

“I… I’m sorry.”

 

 

Hyejin whispered as she cupped Wheein’s face with both hands.

 

 

“I love you, Wheein.”

 

 

Hyejin said as she leaned forward and kissed her lips.

 

 

“I’ll never leave you for her anymore.”

 

 

Hyejin stated and smiled.

 

 

“Believe me.”

 

 

Wheein merely looked on quietly.

 

 

“Is that… why you’re back so early today?”

 

 

Hyejin smiled, looking at Wheein endearing before hugging her closer.

 

 

“Yeah, because I have you waiting for me at home. I wouldn’t want to leave you alone, not ever again.”

 

 

Hyejin kissed the crown of Wheein’s head and she felt Wheein pulling her closer.

 

 

“Not ever again?”

 

 

“Not ever again.”

 

 

“Promise?”

 

 

“Promise.”

 

 

Wheein giggled and Hyejin burst into laughter.

 

 

They pulled apart and stared into each other before laughing out loudly.

 

 

Hyejin wondered why she only fell in love with Wheein so late.

 

 

Wheein wondered why she fell in love with Hyejin so early.

 

But, it doesn’t matter, does it?

 

 

They have already been in love since middle school.

 

 

Even before both of them knew it.

 

 

Love, sure does works in a strange way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PS: Hi, this is really a random work. I don't even know if it makes sense. I just wanted to write something. Hopefully, I'll come out with something better for the next work. Anyway, if you have any story idea for MoonSun or Wheesa, do comment! I might be able to do it if I have the inspiration for it! Thanks! :D