Care

Scribbles of emotions

A few coughing sound broke the silence of the night in the room. Two figures were lying together in the bed, with their backs facing each other. However, the brunette showed no signs of being awaken by the coughs, until it became more serious and frequent. A frown appeared on her beautiful face and she turned around, facing the other figure that was curled up into a ball beside her.

 

“Byul?”

 

She called out softly and sleepily, but only received a long coughing fit back as reply. The brunette struggled to pry open her eyes but found it hard as sleepiness weigh down heavily on it.

 

“Byulyi?”

 

She called out once again and pushed herself up, leaning against on her elbow while waiting for her eyes to open. There was another round of coughs but this time, the brunette could heard that it was being oppressed.

 

“I’m fine. Go back to sleep.”

 

Moonbyul choked out hoarsely, eyes still shut as she tried to curl up into a smaller ball. She wasn’t really fine, but she did not want to worry the older girl.

 

“You sure? You’ve been coughing quite badly. Are you sick?”

 

Solar asked worriedly. She pushed herself further up when she saw Moonbyul curled up tightly against her own body. Shifting herself closer to the older girl, she peered over the younger girl and caught Moonbyul shivering. Solar’s frown deepened as she realized that things were not going that okay with the younger girl.

 

“Byulyi, you’re shivering!”

 

There was only a hum as a response and Solar found her sleepiness all gone when realization of the younger girl being sick sank into her mind. Pushing the younger girl to lie against her back on the bed, Solar placed her hand onto the forehead and gasped. Moonbyul was warm - very warm, and she was breaking into a cold sweat.

 

“Byul, you’re running a fever!”

 

Solar exclaimed before panicking. She pushed the comforter away from her body and sat up straight on her knees. Observing the younger girl for a while with a worried look, Solar could only bite on her lips as she combed the blonde fringe back with her fingers. Silently, she blamed herself for not noticing Moonbyul’s health condition earlier. She did find that Moonbyul seemed a little lethargic when she fetched her back home from the airport. But she brushed it off thinking that the younger girl was just tired from a long day of work. How could she not noticed about it when she should be the one that knows Moonbyul well inside out.

 

“I’ll get you medicine.”

 

“No, I’ll be fine after a sleep.”

 

“But you’re running a high fever!”

 

“I’m fine, Yong Sun. I just need sleep.”

 

“And medicine. Please stop being so stubborn. Let me get the medicine.”

 

Solar replied with a huff before getting down the bed. However, a hand grabbed onto her wrist prevented her from moving away.

 

“I’m fine, I’ll get it myself. Just go back to sleep.”

 

Moonbyul replied and pushed herself up weakly. She couldn’t bear letting the older girl fretting over her when she’s just back from America today after two week long of business trip. The girl needed more rest than ever and Moonbyul would not allow her sickness and herself to be the obstacle that prevents Solar from resting well. She is her princess after all. Furthermore, the incident where Solar was hospitalised from food poisoning during her two week long of business trip makes Moonbyul more determine of letting the older girl rest well.

 

“Moon Byul Yi!”

 

Solar cried out exasperatedly. She could not understand why Moonbyul is being so adamant of this. She's not someone who isn’t capable of taking care of Moonbyul. Although throughout their 3 years of relationship, Moonbyul is the one who take more care of her, but she is still capable of taking care of people - people that she loves.

 

Moonbyul showed her a weak smile before stating softly.

 

"Sleep, you need it."

 

"Well, I can't if I know you're sick!"

 

"It's just a fever, I'll be fine after taking the medicine by myself. I've been doing it by myself for so many years. It's alright."

 

Moonbyul argued and tugged on the slim wrist that her hand wrapped around. She watched as Solar's expression fell when she heard what she had said.

 

"Byulyi... Just, please. Lay down and let me do it."

 

'You have me now' was what Solar wanted to say but she couldn't. She wasn't a person that expressed her feelings freely in verbal, which is why she finds it hard to say such a simple sentence out, unlike the cheesy younger girl. Solar does felt bad about that. She felt bad that she couldn’t say such lavish and romantic sentences out to Moonbyul and let her felt that she was really being loved by the older girl. The only way that Solar could express her feeling was by playing the ‘Unnie’ card, by being cute and letting Moonbyul dotes and gives in to her, which she only allowed Moonbyul and no one else to.

 

“You need sleep.”

 

“Well, I can only sleep if your coughing stops!”

 

With that, Solar wrung her hand out of Moonbyul’s grip and get off the bed. She walked out of the door and hurriedly went down the stairs, to where their kitchen was located. They were living in an industrial loft, a place that both of them found it more suitable for their personalities and most importantly, Moonbyul’s job.

 

Moonbyul was a professional photographer and thus, the very first level of their loft was actually a photography studio that made it easier for Moonbyul to work. Both of them come to this consensus when Solar noticed how late Moonbyul work till at her previous studio before they move in together. Of course, she was unhappy as often times, she found herself popping by Moonbyul’s house for nothing when the younger girl was burning midnight oil at her workplace. Adding on, it actually decreases their time to be together when both of their work schedule often conflicted with each other. Therefore, after much consideration and discussion, both had decided to buy this industrial loft where the first level is converted to a photo studio. On the second level, it consists the kitchen, a toilet, balcony,  and living room while the third level, for their much preferred privacy was their bedroom with a leisure activity room.

 

With a glass of water in hand and pills on the other, Solar went back to their bedroom and sat beside Moonbyul on the bed. Placing the cup of water on the beside table, she woke Moonbyul up gently.

 

“Byulyi, wake up and take the meds.”

 

Moonbyul stirred and sat up sluggishly. Immediately, Solar reached out to help the younger girl to sit properly before popping the pills into . She then took the cup of water and pressed it gently against Moonbyul’s lips before tilting the glass for her to drink.

 

“Sleep.”

 

She whispered gently and tucked Moonbyul under the comforter.

 

“Thanks, Unnie.”

 

“Oh, shut it and sleep.”

 

There was a small smile on Moonbyul’s face and Solar couldn’t help but plant a kiss on Moonbyul’s forehead. Silly dork, Solar thought. Only Moonbyul would make her smile when she’s worried. Solar ran a hand through Moonbyul’s short hair and heaved a small sigh. She never liked it when the younger girl is sick. Because it made Moonbyul very miserable and in turn, Solar would be miserable because she had no idea how to help the younger girl. Many times, she wondered if this is how Moonbyul felt when she’s sick. Because the younger girl always managed to make her comfortable and smile when she’s sick that Solar doesn’t feel that Moonbyul would be miserable. Unlike her.

 

Shaking her thoughts away, Solar stood up and went to the bathroom. She wet a towel and went back to wipe away the cold sweat on Moonbyul’s body before going back to sponge her again. She did it until Moonbyul was no longer running a fever, and that was two hours later. Solar took a glance at the clock and saw it was already nearing five in the morning. She was dead beat, and she could feel her energy running low. it didn’t help that she’s still recovering from jet lag and her food poisoning incident. Lying down comfortably beside Moonbyul, Solar curled up on her side and out of habit, she interlocked her fingers with Moonbyul’s before shifting closer to her. Tracing the jaw line of Moonbyul’s, she leaned forward and kiss her. Solar let out a soft sigh when shivers ran through her body upon the contact of their lips. It has been a while, and Solar would not deny how much she missed the younger girl’s kisses and warmth. With a last peck, Solar closed her eyes and let sleep took over her.  

 

---

 

Solar woke up when she felt something tickling her forehead. Struggling to open her eyes to find out what's disturbing her sleep she heard soft chuckles. Forcing her eyes open, she saw Moonbyul's smiling face. Letting out a soft whine, Solar curled up into a smaller ball and tried to squeeze herself into Moonbyul's embrace.

 

"Why are you up so early?"

 

"It's not early anymore. It's already 3 in the afternoon."

 

"What?!"

 

Solar exclaimed and turned around to look at the clock, confirming the time that Moonbyul had said.

 

"Did you have something on? I... I saw that you're sleeping so soundly and you look so tired, I couldn't bear to wake you up."

 

Solar was silent for a moment before shaking her head when she remembered what time she slept yesterday and what had happened.

 

"No, I'm free for the weekends. Wait, are you feeling better?"

 

Moonbyul gave Solar her charming smile before nodding her head.

 

"I'm fine. The cough and fever had went away. It's probably the allergy since the season is changing."

 

"Glad to hear you're feeling better."

 

Solar whispered as she closed her eyes. Moonbyul smiled at the sight and leaned down, pressing her nose on Solar’s.

 

"Thank you for looking after me. I'm aware that you sponged me when I drifted in and out of sleep."

 

Solar's eyes shot opened at Moonbyul's words.

 

"You would do the same too."

 

"I would, but still, thank you.”

 

“As long as it’s you, I won’t mind taking care of you no matter how tire I am.”

 

Solar whispered, and watched Moonbyul’s cheek dimple appeared as a wide smile spread across her face.

 

“I love you.”

 

Moonbyul whispered and captured Solar's lips into hers.

 

 

 

 

PS: It's written way long ago with other characters in mind, but I did some changes to it and hopefully, it's enjoyable to all readers. Thank you!