Dinner.

Caring too much
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To be honest, this is my first time writing a fic and I'm really sorry that the plot isn't going as fast as it should. I blame my inexperience.

But thank you everyone for the comments and subs (: You don't know how happy they make me x

Alright I think I've set up like a million potential conflicts for Spartace. They deserve a slightly sweeter (?) chapter now.

 

 

Jihyo sits at the dinner table, watching from the corner of her eye as her best friend and her fiance squabble over the responsibilities each person should take at their wedding.  

She had tried to come over to Haha's as late as possible, taking her time after she got home to change out of work clothes and more importantly, to brace herself for the inevitable meet up with Jongkook.  

Her lateness also served an important function - it meant that she will spend less time feeling awkward.

When she finally arrived, she had greeted everyone enthusiastically, pasting her big bright smile on her face. Haha and Byul announced their engagement and was warmly congratulated on their upcoming nuptials. Everyone was genuinely happy for their favourite couple.

It feels suprisingly good to meet up with everyone though. It's been awhile since they've gathered like this and she realises that she really misses them and this warm feeling of home. 

Sukjin, seated at the head of the table, is chatting animatedly with Gary about their new business venture. She never knew how into entrepreneurship they both are, now proud owners of two restaurants. They tried to include her in their discussion, but as they shared their plans for expansion with her, her mind slowly drifts.

She downs a shot of soju as she updates her mental catalogue of information on her friends.  

The resident ahjussi of the gang looks in the pink of health. Sporting plastic eye frames and a statement tee, it seems like he is still keeping up with his valiant efforts to follow the latest fashion trends. 

Next to him, Gary looks dapper as ever, with his designer cap sitting snugly on his head. Apart from setting up businesses, he is also working hard on his music. She smiles wryly as she shakes her head. How is such a talented man still single?

Haha, seated at the other end of the table, is looking slightly frustrated as he talks about some details of the wedding with Byul - seems like they can't agree on something. He is her back though, unconsciously revealing his love for his significant other. 

Jihyo mocks herself wordlessly as she realises how envious she is of the love they share. 

She downs another shot of soju and lets out a plaintive little sigh.  

The tension leaves her body as the edges of the world start blending into each other. 

Across the table from her is Kwangsoo, gesturing excitedly to Jongkook. Kwangsoo hopes that the gang could do a performance at the wedding and showcase some of his smoooth dance skills. 

Her gaze slowly wanders to him, seated next to Kwangsoo. 

She cannot tell if he's agreeing with Kwangsoo's idea or not, but his eyes look twinkly and the corners of his mouth had twitched once. 

Twice. 

The butterflies in her tummy flutter as his cheeks dimples and the corners of his eyes wrinkles. 

She gulps, quickly downing another shot of soju as she averts her gaze. 

Her mind wanders again, now to his girlfriend. Why isn't she here?

Was she the one he was texting just now?

Also, it's really strange how no one actually mentioned her name. 

Not that I really want to know though, she thinks numbly to herself.

Maybe it's best that she never knows who that woman is. 

Her ears perk when she hears Byul mention her name. Her best friend is starting to whisper really loudly. 

"No, she'll say no!"

"Okay, then let's just go with Gajin." Haha quickly responds.

Who's Gajin? Is she-

"No. Jihyo's my best friend - it has to be her."

A sense of dread wraps around her as she realises what they've been arguing about.

"Gary then." Haha throws back.  

"No, Gary's the wedding singer. Like I said, let's compromise - Kwangsoo."

"No he's too tall! I'll look terrible next to him. Plus, who wants a giraffe as a best man!"

"Ey Hyung, I heard that!" Kwangsoo lifts his head up to shoot a death glare at Haha. 

"Haha, what's the matter?" Jongkook quips.

Jihyo's fingers tremble slightly as they hover over her shot glass.  

"I want you to be my best man, Hyung."  

"D'aww, you'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter