The other girl

Caring too much
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sun has started its descent, colouring the darkening sky with streaks of orange and red. Gajin and Jongkook are currently at his parents' place, enjoying a quiet moment in the garden after dinner.

Seated in bamboo wicker chairs, they share a pot of tea between them.

"Oppa, was Jihyo-ssi at the fitting earlier today? I was looking forward to finally meeting her in person." Gajin asks curiously.

"Yeah she was actually, but it seems like she had something else to attend to." To his disappointment, Byul had returned from the dressing room, alone, explaining that Jihyo had left after her fitting.

"Call it a woman's intuition if you want Oppa, but it's probably because of me." 

Slightly amused by his dongsaeng, he grins, a twinkle in his eyes. "Eyy Gajin-ya. I'm sure it isn't so. Why would Jihyo do that? She's not even met you yet." 

Gajin merely shrugs as she takes a sip of tea, changing the subject. "How does it feel, Oppa? To see her again?"

Jongkook turns to look at her, currently seated with her chin resting on her knees, not too different from a little girl. Knowing her feelings for him, he tries to be careful with his words. "Gajin-ya." He starts gently. "I... I'm happy to see her again. But she hasn't been happy, not the way I thought she would be." 

This surprises Gajin. "Really, Oppa? I thought she dumped you because of another guy." 

"That's what I thought too. But... i was wrong, Gajin-ya." Jongkook pauses to gather his thoughts, unsure of how to proceed. 

How much does Gajin really want to know?

"Oppa, do you still have feelings for her?"

Ah, the million dollar question. Does he? The memory of holding her in his arms assaults him. He was comforting her then, but he felt comforted instead, like he had the world in his arms again. 

"I don't know, Gajin-ya. I... I thought I've gotten over her." But after her stay in the hospital, he learns that his body betrays his conviction to let her go and that his heart still remembers her, clenching at the sight of her tears.

What does that mean?

He raises the cup to his lips and pushes the answer to the back of his mind. He'll think about it when he's alone. Instead, he focuses on the earthy taste of tea as it glides down his throat. 

"Must be difficult for you Oppa, seeing her again after all these time." 

Gajin knows about his past with Jihyo from his mother, but he isn't sure if they understand what really happened. "Well, it helped that we talked about it."

The memory of their reconciliation tugs the corners of his mouth upwards. He can almost feel the sensation of her soft cheek pressed against the crook of his neck.

"I'm just happy that i finally learnt the reason behind her leaving me." 

"Oppa... " Gajin starts tentatively, before pausing to cradle her cup in her palms. He watches as she chews on her lips, considering her words carefully. "Oppa, do you have feelings for me?" 

He freezes at her sudden direct question. "Gajin-ya. I... "

What should he say?

He knows that after three years of getting to know her, he enjoys the friendship and candour that they share between them. He knows that he cares deeply for her and and would do anything to protect her. He also knows that his mother would be extremely pleased if they got together.

But he knows for sure that it would not be fair to Gajin. Not when he doesn't feel any attraction towards her. 

"You know that I care very much for you, Gajin-ya,  and I'm really thankful that you're part of our family now."

He hears her exhale deeply. "But you don't love me, Oppa."

"I'm sorry." He turns to look at her, surprised by the nonchalant expression on her face. 

"Don't be, Oppa. I would rather that you tell me honestly than lie to me. At least you let me try my best to love you." A single tear made its way down her cheek, revealing her true feelings. 

Alarmed, he stands up, pushing his chair abruptly backwards with a creak. "Gajin-ya."

She wipes the offending tear away with the back of her hand before dismissing his concern with a wave. "I'm fine, Oppa. Really. Just tell me - are your feelings for her different from your feelings for me?" 

Silence falls between them. He doesn't know what to say, not when Gajin seems so fragile at the moment. 

"Oppa, I just want to know if I stood a chance, and failed, if she has always been in your heart." She gives him a brave smile. "You can be honest with me. I won't break."

He pauses, deliberating for a moment before answering. "Gajin-ya, I'm sorry." It wasn't your failure, but mine. "I can't seem to get rid of her from within me, you know? I... I think I'll always have a soft spot for her."

The memory of her lying on the road helplessly clutches at his gut, prompting him to add, "Let's just say I really, really hated that she was injured. If I can, I would do anything not to see that ever again."  

Gajin nods, "I understand, Oppa." She pauses for a moment before turning to give him a small smile. "You know, it's funny how it doesn't hurt as bad as before, knowing that I've tried my best. She just had the advantage of knowing you earlier." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter