Dinner?

Caring too much
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Throwing Gapjin Gajin into the mix! Let me know what you think people x

 

 

Jongkook returns to his office after finishing his first meeting. He relaxes into his chair and swivels it to see the rest of the hospital from the full length window next to his desk, before giving his reflection a wide grin. He feels rather pleased with how the meeting has gone today, and was glad that the hospital is going in the direction that his grandfather would be proud of.

Good job, Kim Jongkook. You're getting better at this. 

He gives himself a mental pat on his back. 

Taking in the view of Queen's, he twirls his pen idly as his mind drifts back to how he even started working at the hospital.

Gajin, his adopted cousin, had contacted their family when Harabeoji was in a critical condition after a bad traffic accident.  Eomma had refused to meet him at first. But when Gajin showed her a letter that he had previously written, about how he spent the last decade regretting what he has done, Eomma finally relented and went to the hospital to meet him.

Harabeoji was holding on, waiting to see them.   

He can still remember how tightly Harabeoji had grasped Eomma’s hand and was gasping for breath as he apologised. “I’m sorry, nae ddal. I’m really sorry for being so harsh. Would you please forgive this old man?”

Jongkook’s eyes had reddened and he had felt his throat tighten as he watched his mother tremble as she nodded, sobbing silently as she promised her father that all was forgotten. 

Harabeoji had smiled then, his wizened eyes sweeping over his family for one last time, before resting his eyes on Gajin. With tenderness and regret in his eyes, he said his last words.

“Take care of yourselves, my dear family. I'm so sorry that I cannot spend more time with you.“

Harabeoji left that day and Jongkook learnt that one can still feel the pain of losing someone that you never really got to know. 

Three days after the funeral, Gajin had asked to meet them to inform them about Harabeoji's will. Eomma was his only daughter, and Harabeoji had left the hospital in the care of her family. Gajin, only 24 then, was still studying and was too young to take over the hospital. 

He remembers how broken Gajin was when she recounted her life with Harabeoji, sharing stories about how he would talk to her about Eomma. They grieved and remembered Harabeoji together. Gajin became a part of their family from then onwards.

He was thankful for Gajin, really. She had shared Harabeoji’s hopes and vision for the hospital and that gave Jongkook a direction and focus. Work at Queen's has not been an easy ride, but in retrospect, it really was a blessing in disguise.  

It was a welcome distraction from the painful breakup with Jihyo and he was grateful for that.

Until his parents begain harping on the issue of marriage. Although his mother was aware of how much he had loved Jihyo, she was even more aware of how Jongkook is past his prime (really Eomma?) and had urged him to start seeing other girls. 

“You know, you should start exploring your options. I’m sure you would have plenty.” She had 'nonchalantly' suggested to him. 

Eomma had also casually mentioned how Jihyo is one who would place ambition above family and that perhaps the break up is good for him in the long run.

He didn't really agree with her conclusion but had let it slide because he knew that his mother had a point.

Well, Jihyo did leave him. 

To get his mother off his back, he went on a few dates that she had arranged. But it didn’t really work out. Jongkook quickly realised that what did help though, was hanging out with Gajin. With Eomma’s encouraging (read: pestering), he had brought G

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter