Confrontation

Caring too much
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Before Jihyo could even decide, her phone rings again. She jolts, startled out of her reverie. 

This time she remembers to check the screen before answering and the flash of his name made her lips slide upwards to form a curve.

He has perfect timing. Maybe this is a sign that she should tell him. 

"Eo, Oppa?"

"Good morning, Jihyo-ya." Jongkook's voice rumbles across the line, soothing her on this restless morning. She feels her muscles loosen and her body relax instantly. He always has this effect on her. "How's your day going?"

Jihyo pauses. He knows that she went out last night and is probably calling to check how she's doing. 

"Not so good, Oppa." 

Jongkook chuckles. "Hang in there babe."

To her slight embarrassment, he starts to sing loudly over the phone, making her glance furtively over her shoulder in case someone overhears. 

"Thank the stars it's Friday. You'll be burning like a fire gone wild... when you see me, babe." He croons to her in his silky smooth voice. 

She cringes a little in embarrassment, her eyes rolling automatically even though he can't see her.

"Oppa. That's sooo lame." 

"I know, I know." She hears him laugh awkwardly at himself and she sighs, feeling her heart warm with love and her insides melting a little. "I'll pick you up later?"

"I- You don't have to, Oppa. I'm... I'm taking the afternoon off. " She finds it hard to continue.

How would Jongkook take it if she tells him?

She knows how important his mother is to him. Yet, she also promised him that she will tell him all her worries.

Damn. Why is this so difficult?

His voice softens immediately. "What's wrong? Are you feeling ill, Jihyo-ya?" For a person who enjoys work as much as she does, a random half day off is a cause for concern.

She can almost see his wrinkled brows and tense shoulders, and struggles to answer him. 

All she managed is, "A little. I think I'm a bit hungover." 

"I told you it was a bad idea to go out so late on a work day, Jihyo-ya." He sighs and his deep voice emanates disapproval. "Where were you?"

Oops.

Another little problem. She hasn't told him about Kwangsoo's date yet. She had promised Kwangsoo that his secret will be safe with her. Until he's ready to talk about it with the gang. 

Really, that's Kwangsoo's story to tell anyway.

"I... I went out for drinks with Kwangsoo."

"Hmm. Why didn't he ask me? Why didn't you ask me babe?" 

The sour tone of his voice made her snigger. Jongkook does enjoy being in the know of everything about the gang. This is his secret, not-so-hidden ahjumma side. And she loves that he's like that. Because it only shows how much he cares for everyone. 

"Aw, are you jealous? Maybe he just likes me better than you, Oppa." 

Jongkook only grunts. "Whatever. He knows I don't like drinking. That's probably why he didn't ask me." 

"Well, that's also true Oppa. But you can't not entertain the possibility that Kwangsoo just likes me, his Noona, better."

"Well, I wouldn't fault him. I like you better too." He answers smoothly. The warm timbre of his voice enveloping her entire being.

Her face splits into a wide grin. Only he can make her feel better so quickly. Maybe his cheesiness is okay, in little doses. "Yeah? Lucky for you, I like you a lot too."

He groans loudly. "Aw babe, I miss you. Can I come kidnap you now?" She chuckles, her spirits light up with his love. 

They really can fight anything. Or anyone in this case. 

She needs to tell him. 

"Well, someone beat you to it."

"What?" He asks, confused. 

"Oppa... " She starts tentatively, carefully choosing her words. "Eomonim called me just now. She... requested to meet me today, and I think I should go."

He pauses and she finds herself holding her breath, unsure how he would respond.

"What time?" was all he said, his voice grim and laced with worry. "Let me go with you."  

"Oppa," she says gently. "I think Eomonim wants me to go alone." 

"She said not to tell me?" Jongkook asks, his volume rising, upset that his mother would seek Jihyo out. Worse still, behind his back.

The throbbing in her head starts again and she props her forehead on the base of her palm, needing the pain to go away. "I think she just didn't want to... " How should she put it? "Worry you?"

Knowing Jongkook, he probably wants to protect her. But it's clear to Jihyo that his hands are tied as well. There's not much he can really do.

As it is clear how much Jongkook loves his mother. 

Plus if he goes, his mother will become upset that she didn't listen to her. The fact that his mother wants to meet her, that mayy be a good thing right?

You have hurt him enough. His mother's frosty voice rings in her ears. 

If Jihyo is honest with herself, she doubts his mother would have nice things to say.

But she tries to dismiss her anxieties.

"Oppa, maybe she just wants to get to know me better. And you being there would make things a little awkward. It might be a good chance for me to get on better terms with her." 

Perhaps she's being a little delusional. But there's still a chance that she may be right.

His mother loves him a lot too. She may try to make peace with Jihyo. Maybe. 

"I don't think it's going to be that simple, babe." He sighs, "I just don't want you to go through whatever she may say, all alone."

"I have you Oppa." She says, her voice low and soothing. "Not physically, but I know you're there, in my corner. It'll work out, promise." 

He chuckles softly and his voice turns tender as it always does with her. "Why are you comforting me, Jihyo-ya, when you're the one who will be meeting with her alone?" 

"I just don't want you to worry about it. To be honest, I wasn't even sure if I should tell you."

He makes a noise of disagreement and she quickly continues, "but I'm glad I did Oppa." 

He only sighs. "Meet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter