Trust

Caring too much
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Send me back to Queen's please."

Jihyo left her car at the hospital and as much as she would like to go home to hide, and cry under the comfort of her blankets after that dreadful meeting.

The ride is silent throughout the journey - contrary to her earlier frustration with the driver, she is now thankful that he left her alone.

Maybe the driver knew what was waiting for her. 

As they cruise down the highway, colourful streaks of cars passing by fade into the background. Jihyo's mind returns to the family photo that she saw on the office desk.

The startling image of Jo Insung had thrown her into this state of confusion.

There could only be one explanation for his presence.

Jo Insung is Jongkook's brother. 

But it's hard to accept this explanation. A part of her wonders about her denial. 

Maybe there's a reason for her denying this possibility. 

Maybe she hates being reminded that she failed to support Jongkook when he was disappointed by his brother in the past. 

Maybe she hates that Jongkook doesn't share her values on homouality and that scares her.

In the past, she might have thought that she didn't love Jongkook enough to accept that they have such contrasting values.

Her heart tightens. Now she knows better. 

Jihyo's really more afraid that she would still accept all of Jongkook, even if he condemns homouality.

When you love somebody whose values are different- no, in direct conflict with yours, would you start to lose respect for yourself?

Jihyo lowers her head into her palms as her head throbs harder. Guess she's going to find out. 

Maybe she really should have listened to Jongkook and not gone out last night.

She bites her lip.

If only she did, then there wouldn't be any incriminating evidence for his mother to push her away from Jongkook. 

Her eyes soften. Her poor man is probably waiting nervously for her call.

She can see his muscular shoulders at his desk, attempting to read his documents whilst glancing at the phone from time to time, rubbing his neck as he smiles to himself.

She can see his furrowed brows as he checks the time, then lifting his phone to call her before putting it down again and opting to be a bit more patient.

His warm whiskey brown eyes, trusting that she would lean on him too. 

They've only just gotten back together, and already he sits at the back of her mind.

Like he never left.

She smiles ruefully at herself and rakes her fingers through her hair. 

God, losing him again is just out of the question. 

The mere thought of going on the rest of her life alone again causes to constrict and her breathing to quicken in protest. 

Will they be able to get over this? Doubt floods her veins and she pinches the area between her brows. 

She's not going to let it happen ever again. She'll make sure she never hurts him ever again. 

It is tempting to simply just show him the selca that they took, but something holds her back. 

C'mon Song Jihyo, think. 

Her mind scans through all that she knows about Jongkook's older brother.

Jongkook and him were estranged. He mentioned that his brother was seldom at home, and that when they do, he kept to himself. It seems like his uality was something that is known to his family, but not spoken about.

An open secret.

That was about all the information that she has on Jongkook's brother. She doesn't even know his name. 

But he must be a Kim, right? How does Jo Insung fit in?

Last night, she learnt that Jo Insung is a politely-friendly person. After the initial introductions, he barely spoke to her and focused largely on Kwangsoo instead, who lapped the attention up like a hungry puppy. Song Joongki was the one responsible for bringing the group together with his smooth social skills. 

The moving car comes to a quiet stop at the front porch of the hospital. She reluctantly alights, and gives a quick glance to the glass windows on the tenth storey where Jongkook is still working. 

Should she speak to him now? Should this be how Jongkook finds out that Kwangsoo is gay?

Is this the best thing for her dongsaeng?

Consumed by her thoughts, she moves on autopilot towards the lift lobby.

She pays little attention to where she's going and sure enough, she walks into the path of an elderly lady on a mobility scooter. 

The front wheel catches her foot.

Jihyo stumbles and raises her head, surprised by the sharp pain. She's always been clumsy like this. Realising her mistake, she takes a step back to get out of the way and promptly loses her balance. 

She leans heavily backwards.

Everything around her fades into a whirl of white and she holds her breath, bracing herself for the inevitable fall. 

You brought it unto yourself. She berates herself angrily as everything around her fades into a quiet whisper. 

She squeezes her eyes and almost lands on her backside, if not for an Ahjumma who steadies her with a firm hand. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter