Reconciliation - I

Caring too much
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jongkook pulls into the basement carpark of the hospital.

Turning off the engine, he rests his chin on the steering wheel, wondering if he made the right decision to come back. Earlier during the dinner with Gajin, he had found it hard to pay attention to his dongsaeng's chatter. His mind was filled with Jihyo's pale face and the hurt in her eyes, leaving an empty ache pulsing in the centre of his chest.

Why did he mention Jihoon?

He had asked himself several times during the evening but couldn't come up with any answers. All he knows is that there was a bitter taste in his mouth when she tried to push him away. Again. 

He sighs and rakes his fingers quickly through his hair. He had cut the dinner short, sent Gajin home and had found himself making trips to Jihyo's favourite food stalls. He remembers how she had moved her food around the plate, and never taking a bite.

He checks the digital clock flashing on the dashboard. It's 10:30pm. If she hasn't eaten, he really should get in there quickly. 

Gathering up the bags of food, he steps out of his black beemer and walks towards the lobby. He's here to apologise to her. Friends don't hurt each other on purpose - he really was out of line. He jabs the lift button repeatedly and ignores the niggling suspicion at the back of his head. 

The other reason why he is now back to see her, for the fourth time in a single day. Why he still yearns to be close to her, to connect with her - in whatever capacity. 

The lift brings him to the VIP ward and opens with a flourish.

C'mon Kim Jongkook. Just go in and apologise. Just go in and be a good friend. 

He knocks lightly. He'll leave if she's asleep. 

A soft voice calls out. "Come in."

He pushes her door open.

 

 

Jihyo raises her head from her phone to find Jongkook, looking weary and sheepish, carrying several plastic bags. To say that she feels surprised would be an understatement. After what had happened earlier in the evening, she didn't expect him to visit her again.

At least not this soon. 

"Hey Oppa. I thought it was a nurse." 

"Hey yourself. I... How are you feeling?" He walks closer towards her as if to reach for her, then turns away at the last minute towards a corner of the room. 

"The doctor came just now and told me that I can be discharged tomorrow." She gives him a wide grin. Her body feels weightless and slightly numb from the painkillers running through her veins right now. 

"Good to hear that, Jihyo-ya. I bought you something to eat in case you were hungry." He grabs the bed tray parked against the wall and wheels it closer to her, unpacking the containers of food. "Also... I'm here to apologise for just now Jihyo-ya."

His hands still as he raises his head, his eyes earnest and sincere. "I don't know what possessed me to mention Jihoon. I... I'm sorry."

She her head to one side, trying to make sense of his words. He continues to unpack the food, the only sounds in the room are the beating of her heart and the rustling of black plastic bags.

"Oppa... " She should be the one apologising. Yes, he had tried to hurt her by poking at an old wound. But she threw away the heart that he gave her, and no matter how she looked at it, she's still the uglier human.

"I'm sorry too, Oppa."

She watches as Jongkook's hands freeze mid-air, his mouth opens and closes, but not making a sound. He runs his fingers through his tousled hair and settles into the armchair next to her bed. "What are you sorry for, Jihyo-ya?" 

She looks away.

For everything, Oppa. For breaking your heart, for hurting you, for feeling jealous, for everything.

She only shakes her head. 

He asks again, his tone turning gentle, comforting. "Hey look at me. What's wrong?" He pauses and exhales softly. "Jihyo-ya. It's been so long, we are both at a different place now."

She feels a rise of agitation and struggles to keep her emotions in check, fighting against the drowsy cloud that had been slowly enveloping her body. How can she even begin to ask for his forgiveness if he's being so understanding already?

Her lip quivers and she clamps down on it. The day has been an emotional roller coaster ride and her rein over her emotions is unravelling. 

"It's okay Jihyo-ya, I've put it behind me now."

It snaps.

"You know Oppa, this is the problem. You're too good to me. Everything is okay with you, even when I hurt you." Her eyes grow hot and she tries to blink back her tears. 

"Jihyo-ya... "

"Aren't you ever unhappy or dissatisfied with me, Oppa? Because I can think of lots that you could be unhappy with."

"I was never... " He pauses as he places a tentative hand over her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter