Chapter 2

Silent Sacrifice

I started to clean the stable when Dad and Taecyeon came in. I straight away exit the stable trying to avoid them. "Min," Dad called. I turned back to face them.

"Let Taec help you with your chores today." I nodded without saying a word.

I continue cleaning one of the cubicles as Taecyeon watched me from behind. He coughed a little as he said "Are you okay? I am sorry to have caused you trouble."

I nodded but didn't say a word. "Ummm, can I help? " He asked. I went to get a broom for him still in total silence. He was watching me for a while then he starts sweeping the floor. When he had finished, he stood beside me as I start grooming the other horses.

"Were you always this quiet? "He asked as he scratched his head.

"I guess I hardly talk to anyone. " I replied softly. "What? You talked to ghost then?" He raised his eyes. "No..." I laughed at once. "This might sound strange but I talk to animals as you can see there won't be any people around if it's not for you now."

Later in the afternoon, I continue my work while Taecyeon rests after lunch. He came by as I was cleaning the cowshed. I was so focused on my work that I didn't notice him. He coughed a little again and said " Ummm, Min... right? We weren't properly introduced so I don't know your name."

"Oh, I am Min Young but you can just call me Min." I introduced myself briefly and continued on with my work. After a while, he cleared his throat again. "Ah, Min.. you are in your silent mode again, how can I help?" I gave him a shovel and gestured him to follow what I do as I shoved the cow manure into a sack.

Taecyeon was looking on with an expression of disgust. "How can you stand that smell?" He said as he frowned. "It will eventually smell like perfume once you work long enough on this farm," I answered back with a small smile. I then carried the sack up onto a wheelbarrow. 

"Wow, you are strong... let me help." he carried the other sacks, "This is quite heavy for a girl, are you trying to be a man?" He joked. "I wish I was a son instead. So I can help Dad more." I muttered.

"Seeing you work today, I think you had helped out a lot already. But why didn't your dad hire someone to do the work? " he asked curiously.

"Well there are more old people here and most of them had their own farm to take care of. And besides that, there were not many youngsters who like this kind of jobs.  A lot of them have already moved to the big city."

"I see." He said as he pushed the wheelbarrow. "Is it that's why you are acting so tough?" He said.

 "No, I am not! " I denied.

"Question? Why do you put the cow dung in a sack." He asked with curiosity.

"Fertilizer. Our neighbors just love them." I said smiling.

Finally, we had finished our work for the day. I was cooking dinner later in the evening as Taecyeon came out after his shower. "Hey, you cook?" he chuckled as he walked into the kitchen. "I am still a daughter and a girl after all." I laughed.

As we sat together at the dining table, I ate my dinner in silence as I listened to the two men chatting about horses, the farm, and this village.

Right after that, Taecyeon was sitting outside on the porch as I brought a glass of icy orange juice for him. "Thanks," he said as he was holding to a file. I sat down on the chair beside him and tried to see what he is reading and asked him casually "What are you doing?"

"Oh, I am reading my script, " he replied. "What is your character in the drama? " I continue to ask. "A horse racer" he answered without looking up.

"Wow, so that is why you want to speed up your horse," I said.

 "Are you in a talk mode now" he finally glanced at me. "What? I guess so, since I am already off work hours," I giggled and continue "Why? Do you prefer that I am in silent mode? "

"No, you are more like a person now," he said. "What do you mean? " I asked, "Well you were like a timid... and strong mouse during the day!"

I laughed a little and replied. "I sure look like one, don't I? " and continued to laugh again.  "Whoa, that's nice " "Hmm?" I looked at him. "I meant you look ...prettier when you laugh." I blushed at his sudden compliment.

"Can you help me?" He asked as he leaned closer to me. "Please read the lines with me?" His face is so close to mine as we shared the script together. I felt my heart racing fast. "Umm... I don't know... I might sound like a robot."

"It's okay, I just need to practice and memorize the script." We spent the night away practicing the lines. And I found myself very comfortable with him now as we continued chatting and laughing away until Dad appeared and told us to turn in as we have to start the next day early.