Chapter 8

Silent Sacrifice

I went to pat Harvey and whisper to him. "I guess I am all alone now... it's just you and me."

I lay down on the hay that I put in front of Harvey's spot while still holding onto the box. I began worrying what to do now with my life and thought back to all the memories of Mom and Dad which made me sobbed again.

I think it's been hours later, I was finally asleep.

Suddenly I heard a creak at the door. I immediately sat up as I was startled. There is a shadow of a man, I quickly put a hand on my mouth as I was very terrified. Just then the light was switched on. I finally relieved a sigh when I saw it was Taecyeon.

"There you are. I have been looking all over for you. I called you like a hundred times but you didn't pick up. I got worried so I came here to find you." He knelt down and hugged me.

"I am sorry I left my phone in my room." “Thank God you are alright!" He starts my back.I was burying my head in his chest. At that moment I really needed a hug and held him tightly.

"You thought I would kill myself?"

"No, I am just worried you might be sick. But you are not thinking of killing yourself right?"

"No," I whisper. "Why are you here?" He asked looking around.

"I just feel like being with Harvey since the house seems so empty." I began to cry again. He held me without a word as I cried out. "Let's go back to the house, its cold out here." He said as I have calmed down. He held my hand and head back to the house.

"What do you have there?" He asked looking at the box that I am holding as we sat down on the couch.

"It's a letter from Dad and some photos." I hand the box to him.

"You looked so much happier here. I see you look more like your Mom." He said as he looked at the photos.

"I think you should get some sleep." He pulled me up and grabbed my shoulders from behind and pushed me to my room.

"What about you? Are you leaving?" I asked.

"I can stay, can I?" I nodded "Please stay" I whispered as I really need his company.

"Okay, Good night." He starts to walk away. "Oh... I forgot there were a lot of things that my neighbors gave and I put it all into the guest room. I think you should sleep in my room, I can go to Dad's room."

"For a moment there I thought you want to sleep with me." He smirked.

"No..." I murmured.

As I lied down on Dad's bed, I began to remember his warmth. When was the last time I hugged Dad? I tossed and turned but I can't go back to sleep.

It's already 4 AM as I looked at the clock. So I got up and start gathering the chicken eggs. Then I went to milk the cows and the goats before going back to make some breakfast. I made pancakes, bacon, and eggs. I brew some coffee as well.

"Good Morning!" I heard Taecyeon greet. I turn to look at him as he stood at the door and greeted back "Good Morning!" "You are early." He said. "Yeah, I can't sleep," I replied. "But you're early too." "I thought I smell bacon...and coffee, "he said as he sniffed the air.

"Yeah, this is Dad's favorite. It's funny that he loves American breakfast rather than our usual breakfast. I made extra pancakes too since I know he would have loved it..." I paused as I realized I had cooked for Dad too. "What have I done..." My tears suddenly fell uncontrollably.

Taecyeon came to hugged me while patting my head. "It's okay, you miss him... I do too. It's nice chatting with him during mealtime. Don't worry, I can finish it up. Let me help you."

We ate in silence for a while. Taecyeon then spoke up. "I think I didn't realize your silent mode during meal time. I was too busy chatting with your Dad to notice you didn't talk all this time."

"Yeah, but I chat with Dad when it's just the two of us."

"By the way, how are you going to manage the farm today?" "I didn't figure out anything yet. I just have to keep on working and find out."

"I have some volunteers coming today to help you. They are on the way now."

"Oh... you don't have a schedule?"

"Not today. So let's eat and get to work." He ordered. I can't resist smiling as I watch him as he continues eating so heartily.

Taecyeon helps me as we feed the animals. We were carrying the hay for the horses in the stable.

"So what are you going to do with the farm? I mean in the future? I don't think you can manage it alone" he asked as we are stacking up the hay in front of the horses.

"I am not sure right now. Dad told me to sell it in the letter." "Do you want to? For me, I think it is a good idea as it would be hard for you to maintain it alone. But it would be hard to let go since it is your home after all. Wouldn't you miss this place?" he suggested

"Ummm... yeah I would miss it but like you said, I can't manage it alone and it would be hard to hire workers as we tried that before. So I guess selling it would be a better option." I agreed.

"Can you help me? I don't know the procedures." "Okay, do you have a buyer? He asked. "Uncle Hong, our neighbor."

Just then we heard someone shouted his name. "TAECYEON, TAECYEON AH!"