Chapter 30

Playboy

“You should come home now, it’s getting late.”

“Ok,” Mark hung up the phone. Mark was on the monkey bars, hanging upside down. He wished that by doing that, bad memories could be thrown out from his head. The cold night air gave Mark a chill, even with his jacket on. Mark went to the playground he first met BamBam. No one went to that playground often, the sands did not display footprints of little kids, but just neatly stayed in position.

Mark swung himself up to an upright position, turning from his upside down world. He pictured Jinyoung at the bottom of the monkey bars. His hands were wide open, that was when he realized that that was the last time he could hug Jinyoung. Mark smiled by the memory and climb down slowly by the pole.

The playground was much closer than he thought. In a minute, Mark found himself in his own neighborhood. Once he got to his house, there was a guy in front of his door. He wore a black hoodie and what seems like his pajamas. However, it totally hid his face from the side view. The person kept starring at this front door, it was like he was examining, ready for attack.

Mark hesitated at first but his mouth betrayed him, “Hey, can I help you?” asked Mark, amazed by how cold his tone was.

That person froze, still didn’t look at Mark

“Hello?”

Finally, the mysterious guy spared him a glance. Mark could only see his glaring eyes and that person ran away.

“Hey!” Mark chased after him as if he was on a real mission. He had no good feeling about that person and decided to investigate him.

Whoever he was, he must have trained. The person ran as quickly as a cheetah and moved in a quick pace. Moreover, he turned at every possible turns as if he was sure where he was going. After a few moments, Mark finally lost track of him.

Mark looked at the surroundings. The night lights were dim and orange which created a lot of shadows. Something about the shadows created a hint of familiarity. The eerie night refused to create a single squeak, the only thing that he could hear were his footsteps. Even his own footsteps made it obvious that something was not the way they were.

Following some random guy turned into a huge mistake, it was actually not as cool as it seems on TV. With his carelessness, Mark didn’t recall on how to go back to his house. However, with the help of deep breaths, Mark managed to calm down and tried to figure out his way back. It worked, for the first time, he actually felt that an angel was there, mapping his way. He literally felt that someone was there.

Wait.

Mark twisted his body while he elbowed a stranger’s head behind him. With no real knowledge on how to fight and by just remembering what Jackie Chan did on his last movie, he hit the stranger at any possible chance.

It was a different person, not the same guy as he was chasing but still, he have no good intentions either. This time, he looked more of a robber. Wait, correction, dress up as a robber but his physical trait gave it away. Moreover, he didn’t look too skilled as Mark easily pinned him down. With his last strength, Mark took off the robber’s mask.

“What the hell, BamBam!” shouted Mark in disappointment.

“Mark?” yelled BamBam back in confusion.

Both of them stood up from their position in embarrassment. BamBam’s eyes were soft and he was back on being lovable, Mark forgot for a moment that they were not boyfriends anymore.

“This is um.. awkward.” Said BamBam as if he was apologizing. He looked down at the ground, raising one side of his lips and scratching at the back of his head, it was his ‘what should I do now?’ look. “Never thought that the first person I thought I am going to rob is you.”

Mark’s memories were back like a snap. He was at the shortcut, where BamBam’s father and his minions usually hung out.

“Oh ! Is your father here too?”

“No…” said BamBam, hiding a smile, “I decided that I would practice first.”

“So.. should I be running away or something?” That was amazingly unnecessary question.

BamBam looked back at him with a death glare but change into an angelic smile the next second, “No, I don’t feel like doing it anymore. You can walk casually now.”

“Hey, before I go, can we talk?”

BamBam sat beside Mark by a stranger’s house leaning against the wall while he listened carefully to Mark’s explanation. Mark told him everything. He told BamBam about Jackson, about the way he admired Jinyoung but never knew, about the day he actually got busted. He burst out every feeling he had. Even though BamBam and his relationship was history, Mark did not hesitate to reveal what was buried deep inside him.

BamBam was listening intently while nodding his head as if he understand and forgave Mark already. “Wow,” said BamBam finally as he took in a deep breath, “wow, Mark. I honestly did not expect a very suspenseful and detailed story. Moreover, I thought that your reasons would be lamer than that. I guess I proved myself wrong.”

“Really? I didn’t expect that at all,” sniffed Mark, only realizing at that time tears clouded his vision, “I really appreciate your time BamBam. To be really honest, you are the only one who wants to listen to me right now.” Maybe BamBam did understand.

“Are you sure? How about Jinyoung? Did you talk to him?” asked BamBam more to the worried expression.

“I tried but, he would rather go to hell than see my face again.” Said Mark as he felt his heart sank, he turned away from BamBam.

BamBam exhaled out a deep sigh, “Mark, you need to face it. In my opinion, give him the space he wanted and tell him when he is ready, and when you are ready to hear a long lecture about love life and a slap on the face.” BamBam smiled a little, Mark felt his heart bloom again. “I feel what Jinyoung is feeling right now, betrayal, heartbroken, hatred. I see that you have ruined a huge part of your life and-“

“Correction, JB ruined a huge part of my life.” Mark said as he cut BamBam off.

“Fine.” Said BamBam as he gave Mark a smile, “but I would rather you tell me to break up because you have just been hired to be someone else’s partner than you sneak up on the three of us like it was nothing. I know that you are helping me to pay my hospital fees but I am not sure that was the best thing to do.”

“I am sorry. No, I need to do something for you, words didn’t mean anything. However, I actually tried to love you back. From the first day I date you that was when I kept trying every day. I thought that we could actually be a real thing.”

BamBam rolled his eyes but he was still smiling, “Just listen to what I said Mark, you are actually a very romantic and sweet boy, you deserve someone much better than the adopted son of a gangster.”

“No! Don’t describe yourself like that! You are not your father! Promise me, you will never do any crime, even a simple robbing like just now. Promise?”

“Promise! But anyway did you come here by accident because you are chasing a guy with a black hoodie?”

“Wait how do you know?” asked Mark surprised.

“That remind me of something,” said BamBam as he looked up, trying to recall his memory, “May I ask for Jackson’s phone number?”