The Kwons

Rosy Cheeks and Einstein Hair (ON HIATUS)

Hellloooo! Late update, sorry! It's also a filler chap. Sorry again! I know this fic's not the best, and I've been told I need to add some drama to the plot. I'm soooo glad you guys like it.


 

Soonyoung’s parents were scary. There wasn’t any other way to describe them, they were simply terrifying.

They walked in at about five, a middle-aged woman at their heels; the family chief, Soonyoung explained. She went with them just about anywhere after Soonyoung had decided he didn’t need her to babysit him anymore while his parents were on one of their many business trips. She scurried off into the kitchen as soon as they walked in the door, leaving Soonyoung’s parents there to scrutinise Jihoon, who was standing beside Soonyoung.

He immediately bowed, feeling Soonyoung’s encouraging hand on his back. He looked up into the eyes of his boyfriend’s mother - and then promptly looked down again. Despite Soonyoung’s sparkling brown orbs obviously being inherited from her, the cold look emanating from her own subsequently made him even more terrified than he was before. The look was directed at him alone, as he could see the fondness in her eyes as she made her way to her son, pulling him into a hug. She had a wrinkleless face not accustomed to smiling, with lips painted a shade of red that reminded Jihoon of blood. He did not need that particular comparison at that moment, he already felt intimidated enough.

Soonyoung’s father wasn’t a heavy-set man, showing where his son had gotten his psyche from, yet he had a rather, shall we say, strong aura to him. His eyes weren’t as cold as his wife’s, but they weren’t exactly warm wither, hidden behind some wire-set glasses. He gave Soonyoung a simple pat on the shoulder.

Soonyoung, all the while, was beaming from ear to ear, eyes sparkling in happiness. He had told Jihoon that he hadn’t seen his parent’s in person for two months, so it was understandable that he was practically joyous at the sight of them. Jihoon? Not so much. He felt like he was going to be sick. He hadn’t felt quite like this since he’d started high school, and then he’d really been sick all over Jisoo’s shoes.

As soon as Soonyoung had greeted his parents, he set about introducing Jihoon. ‘This is my boyfriend, Jihoon.’

He laced their fingers together while Jihoon had to exchange pleasantries. ‘Hello, it’s nice to meet you.’

Soonyoung’s mother’s gaze was uncomfortable as she replied. ‘Likewise.’

His father stayed silent, just looking at him.

This was going to be painful for sure.

-----------------

Half an hour later they were sitting around the dining table, being served a rather delicious looking meal. But Jihoon couldn’t appreciate the food, he was too nervous. He and Soonyoung were positioned so they were facing directly towards his parents. It was hard for him to even look up from his plate.

Soonyoung’s mother, who had instructed him to call her Mrs Kwon, spoke up all of a sudden, ‘So, Jihoon, do your parents know about your ual preference?’

Jihoon very nearly choked.

‘Mum!’ Soonyoung rubbed his thigh under the table to comfort him. It worked, just.

There was no trace of embarrassment present on Mrs Kwon’s perfect face. ‘Oh, I’m sorry. It would have been better to ask if your parents know of your relationship with my son?’

Jihoon placed his hand upon Soonyoung’s, seeking some form of comfort. ‘My parents died when I was eight.’

This answer only slightly phased Mrs Kwon, while Mr Kwon, who had been silent the entire time, questioned, ‘Who do you live with now?’

‘By myself. My brother bought me an apartment.’ This was starting to feel like an interrogation.

‘Oh,’ Mrs Kwon looked mildly interested, ‘What does your brother do?’

Jihoon squirmed, uncomfortable with the attention. ‘He’s a university student, but he also composes and is in a group. They get quite a lot of pay and his songs also make a lot of money.’

They didn’t seem satisfied with his answer, Mrs Kwon in particular. ‘But who pays for your school fees and living expenses?’

‘My brother does, and he will do until I start university.’

‘What will happen then?’

Man, he hadn’t even told Soonyoung this yet. ‘My parent’s left some money to me and we decided I should use it to pay for my higher studies.’

Soonyoung looked at him in surprise, but continued rubbing circular motions into Jihoon’s hand.

Deciding it might be relevant, he added, ‘I also own our house in Busan, but I came to Seoul to live with my brother and his mother until both of us moved out.’

Mr Kwon’s eyes sparked. ‘His mother?’

‘Yoongi’s my half-brother. His mum is my dad’s first wife.’

The conversation ended there, the subject matter exhausted. The rest of dinner was spent with Soonyoung eagerly chatting to his parents about school and other things. It just flew over Jihoon’s head when they started talking about business. He only started paying attention when Soonyoung’s hand tightened its grip on his own.

Mr Kwon was halfway through his sentence, ‘-says he wants to see you.’

Soonyoung’s voice was tight. ‘Has he accepted it yet?’

‘No,’ Mrs Kwon spoke sadly, looking as if she wanted to reach over the table to Soonyoung’s cheek. She didn’t. Jihoon had already realised she wasn’t the touchy-feely type, and he wondered if that’s why Soonyoung was so clingy. His father certainly didn’t seem to be a particular sentimental type either.

‘Tell Grandfather that I won’t see him until he accepts me.’ Soonyoung’s tone was final.

He abruptly got up from the table, muttering excuses about being tired. Jihoon could only follow, not wanting to be left alone with the rather scary pair at the table.

He was stopped by the screeching of a dining chair scraping against the tiled floor and the exclamation of “Wait.” He realised that Mrs Kwon was slightly taller than him with her high heels on with her so close.

She rested a hand on his arm. ‘My son really does care about you; I can tell. We decided to come home so we could meet you, as he was constantly talking about you in the two phone calls we’ve had since he met you.’

A pause. ‘We wanted to make sure you weren’t some sort of… gold digger, if you’ll forgive the term. You’re the first boyfriend he’s had that we didn’t know personally.’

Jihoon was only mildly insulted that they thought he could be a gold digger. Fair enough, he reasoned. With that much money you’d have to be careful.

Mrs Kwon suddenly felt motherly as she brought her hand up to ruffle his hair slightly. ‘Take good care of him.’

Jihoon face light up at the simple request, grin wide and childlike in its happiness. ‘Of course I will!’

And that’s when he took off, following Soonyoung, who had disappeared somewhere. Mrs Kwon merely smiled at his retreating back, feeling as if she had done the right thing.

The small boy found his boyfriend laying on his bed, obviously sulking. ‘What’s wrong?’

‘My grandfather doesn’t accept I’m gay.’ Soonyoung said bluntly.

‘Oh…’ Jihoon climbed onto the bed next to him, ‘I’ve never had that problem. I only care about the opinions of a handful or two of people, and half of them are gay themselves.’

‘My grandfather’s old-school. He blew up at me when I told him, tried to make my parents kick me out, but they sent me to one of their schools instead. Just so happens they own a school that the rich and famous send their gay kids so they can have their fun before they have to get married.’

‘Why don’t you just see him then? Patch things up?’ The smaller boy his cheek affectionately.

‘I’ve tried before.’ Soonyoung’s face scrunched up with regret, ‘He tried to convince me to date one of his business partner’s granddaughters. It didn’t go all that well.’

‘I imagine it didn’t.’

Soonyoung pulled the smaller boy into an embrace. ‘Just do me a favour, will ya?’

‘Okay.’ Jihoon kissed his cheek.

Soonyoung returned the gesture, pecking the tip of the other’s nose. ‘Stay with me?’

In danger of becoming a sap, Jihoon replied, ‘Always.’

Comfortable silence occurred, then, ‘…but right now I kinda need to go to the toilet. Always can start after that, right?’

Oh well, always can wait. Especially when it involves matters of the bladder.


Thaks for reading! Please comment! Love to hear feedback! This is the second time I'm updating while watching Criminal Minds. NCT U's Without You has become my "writing song".