An Unsettling Gaze

Rosy Cheeks and Einstein Hair (ON HIATUS)

Now guys, I want some honesty here. What could I improve on in my writing/story? I know I put in a lot of commas and maybe a little bit of run on sentences. Also, please tell me why you like this story (e.g. characters, writing style, etc.)


 

Jihoon didn't like being stared at. Unfortunately, everyone seemed intent on doing just that.

He and Wonwoo had been dropped off at their English class by Soonyoung, who was serving as a sort of carpool. He knew where all the classrooms were, so he was taking each of them to their respective classes. Chan had been first, since the first years were on the ground floor, while the three lucky second years, who happened to be in almost every single class together, were next on the first floor. That had left only the three third years to head up to the second floor.

And that was how Jihoon and Wonwoo had ended up standing at the front of a classroom, forced to be sitting ducks as the teacher introduced them. Thankfully, and also rather oddly, they weren’t asked to introduce themselves to the class, instead the teacher simply directed them towards a pair of empty desks at the back of the classroom.

Now that Soonyoung had mentioned it, quite a few of the boys were looking at them in a way that was more than simply friendly. With Wonwoo, it didn't surprise him, because although Wonwoo wasn't the typical idea of "good-looking", he was attractive. What surprised him was the fact that most of those particular stares were directed towards himself.

Maybe it was just the gossip article Soonyoung and him had been caught up in. But this theory was contradicted the apparent thoughts behind the majority of the class' stares.

He and Wonwoo weren't the most outgoing of people, so for the whole lesson, they tried to focus on the activity they were set and not the glances that kept coming their way. They were successfully distracted when they spent fifteen minutes working on the pronunciation of "girl". Well, by working on it, what that really meant was that it was just fifteen minutes of Jihoon trying to get Wonwoo to say it right. God, sometimes he wondered a bit about his friends and how they could ever survive without him. He didn’t particularly think that they could.

Soonyoung appeared almost as the bell rung, ready to show him to his homeroom, convincing him that the others had probably already figured out where it was. Jihoon wasn't so sure of this, but went along with it. They didn't have to worry about Wonwoo, their maths room was his homeroom. Just as well, 'cause they would've left him anyway.

Sometimes, Jihoon realised, he was a bit of a bad friend. But he didn't mind that much, he had a boyfriend to spend time with. A boyfriend that gave him sweet pecks on the cheek every time he got the chance. A boyfriend that was likely to get hit if he kept doing so in public. He could kiss him all he wanted once they were in private and not in the middle of a crowded corridor.

Yeah, he was probably a bit of a bad boyfriend too.

Realising this, he frowned. He didn't want to be a bad boyfriend, otherwise he'd end up without one for himself. Pity he didn't send these thoughts in his friends' direction.

So, when Soonyoung stopped in front of another of the generic, modern classrooms that lined the corridor, he did something unexpected, and hopefully something a good boyfriend would do.

Said unexpected thing was the simple action of suddenly tiptoeing upwards to plant a kiss on the lips of his startled boyfriend. 'Goodbye.'

Soonyoung was left there, dumbstruck at the shy boy's actions, yet definitely wanting more. But he’d forgotten to tell Jihoon something, something very important. Unfortunately, he had only realised this was the case when he was effectively trapped in his homeroom by his infamously strict teacher, the only one in the entire school that actually showed up to homeroom.

 Meanwhile, Jihoon had sat himself down at the very back of the classroom, hoping to go unnoticed (a futile hope), his cheeks flushed a rosy red. Being a good boyfriend sure was embarrassing.

He buried his head in his hands, feeling the stare of every single boy in the entire classroom. The area where he was sitting was actually pretty empty, that’s why he had chosen it, and the members of the class almost seemed reluctant to come near it. That should have been more than enough warning for him, but he was too focused on miraculously becoming the invisible man to think anything of it.

Ten minutes later, he finally noticed that the teacher hadn’t entered the room, and the students were left totally unsupervised. It was odd, Wonwoo’s teacher hadn’t shown up either, so he just assumed it was standard school policy. The students were all doing their own thing, mostly talking to each other while stealing the occasional glance at him, and Jihoon had resigned himself to his fate, resolutely staring ahead of him, deep in thought about what he was going to cook for dinner tonight. He’d been eating way too much takeaway while Soonyoung had been staying with him, partly because his boyfriend wanted to spend their evenings cuddled on the couch and partly because his fridge was well and truly empty from feeding two teenage boys that were prone to snacking.

He was thinking about the possibility of curry when he finally noticed that the whole classroom had become startlingly quiet, and everyone was not, in fact, preoccupied with staring at Jihoon, but at a spot above his head. That was when he took notice of the presence behind him. Slowly, feeling as if he was in some cheesy horror movie, he turned around in his seat to see the very intimidating boy standing behind him. Why was he intimidating? Well, firstly, he was very tall (or maybe that was just because Jihoon was sitting down). Secondly, he had the deepest brown eyes he’d ever had the pleasure of seeing, seemingly filled with nothing but infinite blackness. They were terrifyingly empty, showing no sign of the thoughts behind them. He was a relatively handsome boy, and Jihoon would have been attracted to him if not for the fact that he scared the absolute out of him. It was also the first time Jihoon could ever say that about someone after gazing at them for barely a second.

The boy gestured towards the seat Jihoon was sitting. ‘That’s my seat.’

Goosebumps covered the small boy’s body. ‘Oh, uh, sh-hould I move?’

Something barely detectable flickered behind the boy’s eyes. ‘No, just stay where you are.’

Jihoon felt that this was more of an order than a suggestion, so he did just as he was told as the boy moved to the set of desks to his right and sat down. Conversation in the room gradually resumed, though the glances coming his way became more frequent. He tried to focus once again on the subject of dinner, but was rapidly failing due to one particular stare. The boy, who he was unreasonably and irrationally terrified of, was unabashedly staring at him. His gaze rather reminded Jihoon of the unsettling stare of a fox, always there and unusually intense.

He decided that as soon as the bell rang, he was going to practically run out of the room and attempt to find Soonyoung. And that he did, nearly forgetting to grab his bag in the process. He sprinted down the corridor, hoping he was going the right way, before turning a corner and bumping smack bam right into Soonyoung. Jihoon knew he was probably overreacting, but he’d had enough of being stared at, and the unsettling guy had just set him off.

Soonyoung barely protested as he was dragged into the nearby bathroom, shoved into a stall and forced to sit on the toilet seat lid. He knew in his weird, intuitive way that his boyfriend was upset and wanted to know why. Jihoon quickly locked the stall and threw himself into Soonyoung’s waiting arms. The smaller boy was embarrassed that he was acting this way, but he nonetheless shook as he buried his face into his boyfriend’s neck.

Soonyoung gently his hair, kissing his cheek. ‘Jihoonie, what’s wrong?’

When he received no answer, he carefully pulled the boy back by the hips to face him. ‘Come on, tell me what’s wrong. It’s only been an hour since I’ve seen you.’

The pink haired boy’s hands balled themselves up in his blazer. ‘Everyone stares at me.’

‘I thought I told you before, it’s ‘cause you’re gor-‘

‘Don’t joke, Soonyoung!’ Jihoon was shaking more violently now, the fear of his boyfriend thinking he was some of kind of nervous freak scaring him.

The other boy pursed his lips, realising that a few comforting jokes were not enough this time. ‘Okay, tell me why you’re so upset then.’

‘Everyone staring at me isn’t something I’m used to. It makes me nervous, not to mention embarrassed. After years of being ignored, don’t you think this would be a little unsettling?’

Soonyoung knew it was a rhetorical question and let his boyfriend continue. ‘And there was this guy in homeroom, he… he scared me.’

He let that hang in the air for a while, fearing some form of backlash for overreacting.

Not liking the silence, he started rambling, ‘He was really scary, like, his eyes were empty or something and he was looking at me really weirdly. I know I’m a wuss, but-‘

His rambling was cut off by his boyfriend, who had been completely silent up until then, placing a hand over his mouth. ‘I don’t think you’re a wuss. It’s only natural that you’d feel that way.’

‘And as for the guy, I forgot to warn you about him. He has that effect on people; I know a fair few people much more confident than you that almost pee their pants just looking at the guy.’

‘You know him?’

‘Everybody does.’

They rested their foreheads against each other’s, eyes meeting.

Jihoon pulled his hands upward to tug on Soonyoung’s earlobe experimentally. ‘You always know how to comfort me.’

A cheeky grin spread across the other boy’s face, resulting in his eyes becoming almost non-existent slits. ‘I’m just perfect for you, that’s all.’

‘Yeah, you might just be…’

‘… wait, don’t we have second period?’

A third, unknown voice answered for them from the next stall. ‘Yup. Not that your relationship isn’t cute and all, but could you please leave already so I can poo in peace?’

They had completely forgotten they were in a bathroom. Whoops.


So, what did you think? I hate school... and homework. But doesn't everyone?