The Blue Sweater

Fireworks

                It has been 3 weeks, and still no news of my brother. I have completely given up on the police, fought with Jackson about 23 times this week alone and decided to take matters in my own hands. If no one is doing what needs to be done, then fine. I’ll do it.

                “You have to be insane.” Was what my father said when I told him.

                “Dad, something needs to be done. How could you even let your son just go like that?”

                “These matters are best left to the police.” He sighed. “And where are you going to start? By putting up missing kid posters on the streets?”

                “Yeah! Maybe I’ll do that!”

                “Has all those years in a prestigious university thought you nothing? You will attract unwanted attention by the media and that is the last thing this family needs. Paparazzi sneaking outside our door and blowing up our phone.”

                “Dad, I cannot just sit here. I need to find Luhan.”

                “Let him be, who knows? Maybe he will find him.” My mother coaxed him, rubbing his back tenderly.

                “You don’t even have a lead.” He just muttered.

                “Don’t worry Dad. I’ll find something.”

                I actually had no idea where to start. I suppose I could look through hirs room again, but the police did it and couldn’t find anything. I went into Luhan’s room and looked through his stuff one more time.

                It wasn’t like time changed everything or moved the monkey doll to a corner. It was still the same as when I last left it. I opened his wardrobe and flipped through his clothes. Everything he use to wear was still here.

                Except…

                That was when I realized something was indeed missing. It was a sweater. A dark blue sweater that Luhan has had since he was a teenager.

                There’s a story behind that particular sweater. When we were 16 years old, we went on a double date together at the carnival. I was with Jessica (yeah I know, I was going through a curious phase) and Luhan was with her sister Krystal. Jessica and I were classmates so we knew each other pretty well, but she said that she had to take her younger sister Krystal along on a date, so I asked Luhan to come with me.

                “Bro I owe you big time for this.” I told him as our parents dropped us off at the carnival.

                “I’m only doing this because Krystal is the prettiest girl in our year, so technically you’re kind of doing me a favour.” Luhan laughed. He was wearing a white sweater with dark jeans. His hair was a little shorter but he combed it up and he just looked all…boyfriend-material-ish. If I were Krystal I would kiss him the minute I saw him.

                The Jung sisters were by the candy counter when we found them. I gave Jessica a hug when I saw him greet Krystal with a friendly hello and a smile. Krystal was practically a clone of her older sister, except she was slightly taller.

                “So shall we go on some rides or what?” I asked.

                “Let’s go on the carousel!”

                “Nuh uh sis, that’s way too childish.” Krystal shook her head, giving her sister a look. “I think we should do the Ferris wheel.”

                “But Jessica…” I started but stopped two seconds later.

                “You heard the girl let’s go let’s go!” Luhan said, quickly pulling Krystal by her arm and they made their way to the Ferris wheel. Jessica shook her head and looked at me. “Siblings eh?”

                “Yeah. You hate them but you live with them.”

                We went to the Ferris wheel, where only young kids lined up and there was some dude who worked the wheel with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He was checking tickets and mumbled something that is supposed to be “Enjoy the ride” but sounded like “Can’t wait to quit this ing job.”

                “Thanks.” I smiled, trying to be polite when he checked our ticket. A puff of smoke escaped his mouth and I had to pull my head back. He looked at me and Jessica, eyeing us up and down. “Don’t try anything funny up there.”

                “What? No sir I think you must be mistaken.”

                “I’ve been here longer than you were on your mother’s trust me kid I know people like you. Try anything funny and I’ll stop the ride with your little dinky winky hanging out of the side window.”

                “I…”

                “Just come on Kris it’s our turn!” Jessica pulled me away and the man curled his lip upwards. And it was not a grin.

                “Should we get in with your sister?” I asked.

                “No, let’s get in this one.” She pushed me into a little yellow carriage and another person locked the carriage door. “Let’s leave Krystal and Luhan alone. They deserve some privacy.”

                “Really?”

                “Oh yeah. My sister has a crush on Luhan.”

                “Why am I not surprised?” I shook my head. “That’s the curse when you go to the same school with your younger, more-attractive, magnet brother.”

                “Oh come on, you’re not so bad yourself.” She smiled at me warmly. The gears of the giant wheel churned and we started moving. I looked up and tried to see where Luhan and Krystal was but I could only see the bottom of their carriage. We started going up and up, the noise of the carnival leaving us and the lights were dimly fading.

                The summer night was cool and Jessica was sitting across me in her yellow summer dress, the straps almost falling off her shoulder. Her curly hair framed her face beautifully and she took my hand in hers.

                “I am really glad to be here with you Kris.”

                “Thanks. I figured you would enjoy the carnival because you know…” I took a deep breath. “I guess that’s kind of what everyone does so I’m not sure…”

                “I don’t care where we are Kris. I just want to be with you.”

                “Okay.” She lifted herself off her seat and moved next to me, the carriage shaking under the movement but then she pulled me close and we kissed.

                That was not my first kiss. My first kiss was with Liu Wen when I was 13 and that was because of a dare that stupid Jinyoung threw at me, but kissing Jessica was different. It was fast, hot and involved a lot of very, very close proximity. Like I could feel her s against my chest.

                “Oh Kris,” she moaned softly as I pulled her onto my lap and she wrapped her arms around my neck. We were kissing madly, my hands on her back and hers reaching into my hair. The carriage stopped at the very top and it shook a little. We were jerked around and I accidentally bit her lip. Jessica drew back in shock and touched her bottom lip.

                “Is it bleeding? Oh God Jessica I am so sorry.”

                “No no it’s okay. This is actually kind of hot.”

                “Really?”

                “Yeah.” Her lips found mine again and I could taste the metallic sting from her wound. I couldn’t help thinking This is actually kind of gross.

                “Jessica,” I groaned a little when we parted for air and she was nipping the side of my face and working on my collar bone. “Jessica, we gotta stop. The ride’s coming to an end.”

                “I don’t care.” She whispered back.

                “Yeah well I do I swear that drunk sailor looking guy is gonna throw us out with my hanging out.”

                “Now that I like to see.” She teased, her hands going down south but lights started shining in. I peeled her off me and sat her next to me. The ride was coming down and the noise of the carnival returned. The grumpy carnival worker’s face appeared like a nightmare as he stared at me. He unlocked our carriage and I gulped under his gaze.

                “Thank you I hope you enjoyed the ride.”

                “Yeah it was fun.” I breathed heavily, rubbing my bottom lip and pulling Jessica’s hand. Her dress straps had fallen down by now and there was a wound on her bottom lip, which she kept on. Luhan and Krystal appeared from behind, her hand on his arm as he escorted her out like a gentleman.

                “So how was the ride?” he asked.

                “It was good.” I couldn’t help chuckling, trying to straighten my shirt and catch my breath. Jessica was pulling the straps of her dress back up when her sister came close to her face.

                “Sis, did you bite yourself?”

                “Er yeah.”

                I saw a smug looking face appear in place of my brother’s usual handsome one as he waved a 5 dollar bill in his hand. Krystal took it and mouthed a thank you while I stared in disbelief.

                “You made a bet on us?”

                “5 bucks said you were so going to make out and I won.” Krystal pulled her sister away and proceeded to go into one of those crazy giggling fits that girls always get into. I looked at my brother and punched his arm.

                “Hey!”

                “How dare you make a bet on us? And how could you lose?”

                “I thought you were going to refuse and wait till the time is right because you are a prude and that’s what you do.”

                “I am not a prude.”

                “You so are, which is why I could have won. God bro I was so confident in you.”

                “Shut up.” I rubbed his hair and he elbowed me.

                “Was it good?”

                “It ain’t half bad.”

                “Good, so now I know what her sister is like then.”

                “You disgusting little…” I ran after him and gave him an air kick to the as he ran after the girls laughing. We caught up to the girls and hooked arms as we walked through the carnival park.

                “Hey look at this!” Krystal stopped and pointed to Shoot-the-Hoop stand. “Isn’t Kris good at basketball?”

                “Yeah, my bro is set to be the new point guard for the basketball team.” Luhan bragged, shooting an imaginary ball through the hoops. The girls ooh-ed and ahh-ed at him.

                “Yeah that’s only if I make the team.” I shrugged. I tried out for the team a few days ago actually but news of the new team members haven’t been released. I was actually really nervous about it so I nudged Luhan because I didn’t want to jinx it.

                “Of course you will. If the coach doesn’t let you in then he is an idiot.”

                “I agree, come on Kris let’s play.”

                “Yeah show us your skills!”

                “I can’t…” I was a little shy about it but they pushed me to the counter. I was finally pushed and persuaded so I looked up at the guy at the counter. “Can I try?”

                “Sure.” he laughed. “You get three shots and if you get in one shot, you get a coffee mug. Two shots and you get a small toy and all three you get a mystery prize.”

                “Aim for the mystery prize come on!” Jessica clapped her hands. I held the basketball in my hands and raised them, making an aim. I counted a silent three and tossed it.

                “Yeah!!!!” they clapped for me as the counter guy handed me another ball. I just laughed and aimed for the hoop again. I tossed it and again it went in.

                “What did I say? My brother is a champ!” Luhan clapped me on the back. “Last one bro.”

                “You know what, you make the last shot.”

                “For real?”

                “You always said you could beat me. Prove it now.”

                “Fine but if I make this shot the mystery prize is mine.”

                “Go ahead.” I gestured, tossing him the ball. Luhan aimed for the hoop, made the shot and the ball fell onto the hoop, circled around it in dramatic fashion and finally fell through it.

                “YEAH!!!!” We high-fived each other and the girls. “That was awesome Luhan!” Krystal gushed.

                “I told you I was just as good, but I can’t brag about this because Kris thought me everything.”

                “Luhan…” I sighed. He was doing it again.

                “This man here ladies, is a fine gentleman species. He plays basketball, straight-A student, polite and loyal, and judging from the scar on Jessica’s lips, a little wild too.”

                “Come here you,” I grabbed him under my arm and fake punched him in his stomach. The girls laughed as the counter guy came back with the ‘mystery prize’.

                “Here you go. This week’s mystery prize is this lovely blue sweater. Congratulations Mr. Wild.” He laughed and his eyes curled upwards.

                “Wow this is nice.” Luhan took the sweater and felt it in his hands. He looked at Krystal and handed it to her. “Here you go Krystal, you can have this.”

                “Oh no I think you should have it.” She took the sweater and tugged on his white one. Luhan removed his white sweater as Krystal put the blue one on his head and he wore that one instead. “After all you did lose a bet to me. I can’t keep taking things from you.”

                “This is fun, we should do this again sometime.”

                “Sure.”

                “Totally.” Her sister nodded and so did I. We laughed with each other and waved goodbye at the counter guy.

                That blue sweater was Luhan’s favourite. On the night of The Blue Sweater, he went on his first date with Krystal, who he kept on dating for a while. I had my first make-out session with Jessica and kinda liked it. My brother won that infamous Blue Sweater (yes I have decided it will be in capital now) because I taught him basketball. It was a wonderful summer memory and it couldn’t have happened if I didn’t beg Luhan to show up and he didn’t agree.

                What made that memory even more perfect was that on that night, I met Tao for the first time. He was the counter guy who called me Mr. Wild with the cute eye-smile.

                I remember turning my head to wave at him, and catching that beautiful smile as he waved back. Every time Tao sees that sweater on Luhan, he would look at me and we laugh to ourselves like there is this secret joke between us no one gets. Luhan does though, because then he rolls his eyes and calls us immature.

                But back to the present. His favourite sweater was missing. Luhan must have taken it. He wouldn’t go anywhere without it. On the night he disappeared, all he took with him is this sweater? But if he was kidnap he wouldn’t take it would he? Unless he wore the sweater out or something, which is somehow less unlikely?

                I returned back to my room and took Mr. Rubdub. I turned him around and couldn’t find anything, so I took my copy (it is mine, I swear) of On the Road and flipped the pages. Inside, I found a slip of paper. It was a postal locker rental form, paid by Luhan on July 2015 for a year, which expires July 2016. A locker number and code was scribbled on the back. 050915.

                The date Luhan disappeared.

 

A/N: And....the plot thickens XD Let me know what you think!!!