I Can't Defame Mr. Rubdub

Fireworks

                In case you haven’t figured out by now the police force are completely useless. They went for weeks without telling us what happened to Luhan, and it seemed like they were never going to be able to find him, and in the meantime Dad just did the most heinous thing a father could do to his own son. He hired stupid Jackson to help run the company.

                “Tell me cuz, would it be alright if I moved that white desk out of the office? It’s taking up too much space.”

                “I specifically chose that stupid white desk myself you so you better not laying a ing finger on anything in that room.” I growled into my phone as I made my way into the car after a meeting.

                “Come on now, we’re partners. I’m just trying to help you.”

                “You want to help? Quit now.”

                “You’re so funny cuz, that’s why I like you.” I rolled my eyes and hung up. I was way too stressed to deal with Jackson’s . I know what he’s after. He’s eyeing the company. If EXO Corporation could merge or be put under his company then Jackson would own more than 50% of the market share for construction and urban development. That would make him the industry leader. The boy graduated from Harvard. He’s no fool. He can smell a ing fish floating on it’s belly from miles away.

                “Dad I cannot work with Cousin Jackson.” I stormed to my father, stomping my feet like an 11 year old boy.

                “Kris I’m retired, won’t you give your old man a rest?” he sighed heavily, something he has been doing rather frequently now.

                “Dad, you hired him to take Luhan’s place in the company until he returns right? So I’m begging you now to FIRE him. He is unbelievable. He hasn’t even been there for 2 days and he’s already trying to be the boss of everything.”

                “That’s kind of his job Kris, I told him to help keep an eye on you. I figured your brother’s disappearance would make you a little…unstable.”

                “Unstable?!” My dad shook his head sideways, like a teasing bobble-head doll. “What am I? A psychiatric patient? Dad I am fine, but thanks to cousin Jackson I won’t be fine any longer.”

                “I’m sorry but the company is just too big for you to handle alone, especially with your limited skills and experience. Jackson has been CEO much longer than you have and I just assumed…”

                “Assumed?! You assumed that Jackson was just going to leave when Luhan comes back? Dad wake up and smell the fire burning from under your nose he’s trying to claim the company for himself!”

                “That is if your brother returns.” Dad pointed a finger at me, standing up from his place at the couch and walking towards the bar. “The police still has no news on him. Your mother and I are fearing the worst.” He doused another shot of whisky, a habit that he has become increasingly accustomed to since Luhan disappeared.

                “You think…you think Luhan is dead?”

                “I don’t want to think of such things.” He shook his head. “But I can’t go on with my life on pause. I have to plan for the future. I would love nothing more than for your brother to return but what if something happens? I cannot let you and your mother hang onto a piece of burning rope.”

                “Dad…”

                “Kris you probably don’t understand this but I’m just looking out for you and your future. We…” he took another heavy sigh before taking another shot of whisky. His hands started getting shaky. “We just don’t know where he is.”

                “Luhan is not dead Dad.”

                “How do you know?”

                Good ing question.

                “I don’t know.” I mumbled quietly. “I just don’t think he’s dead.”

                “You can’t say that for sure. You can’t read minds or see the future. It’s not like you guys have telepathy between you or something…”

                “Why? Because we’re not related?”

                “Kris…”

                “Whatever. You think you need to be related to someone in order to have telepathy? You think you need to come from the same womb in order to read their faces? Luhan and I were born differently but he is my brother okay? You were the one who said so when you married Mom and I can bet I know Luhan better than Mom does and she gave ing birth to him.”

                “Kris, watch your mouth. You know how your mother doesn’t like you cursing.”

                “Her son is missing. You think she gives a flying rabbit’s about her stepson cursing?” I grabbed the keys on the mantelpiece and went into my room. I let the door bang shut for dramatic effect and threw my coat down like the spoiled brat I am.

                The truth was, I knew exactly what my dad is fearing, because I fear them too. Almost every night I would have some sort of dream of Luhan’s body being found somewhere. In a river. Under someone’s floorboards. Sold for parts in the black market. I had nightmares of Luhan calling my name, his voice in anguish and his pretty face crumpled in pain. It got so bad I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating and panting.

                How could you just go for weeks without hearing from your loved one? How could you go on without knowing if the person was alive or dead? So it’s true, I’m distracted at work. Tao tells me that I’ve had my head in the clouds and I don’t look right. I’m grumpier than usual and Jackson doesn’t help at all. Seeing him aggravates me, because it shouldn’t be him. It should have been Luhan. It should have been Luhan helping me reorganize the office and going for those long business meetings that I hate.

                I felt like a 5 year old again, those frustrating moments when I had to look for Luhan during hide and seek. The difference was back then, in the back of my mind at least, I always knew I would find him. Luhan would never leave me alone.

                I tried to get some sleep, but recently I have been terrified of sleep, because if I closed my eyes and let my mind wander, something terrible would happen to Luhan. I ended up lying down on my bed, staring at the ceiling, fingers reaching for my phone and just dying to call Tao.

                I probably should. Tao is my boyfriend and he’s supposed to be there for me. Maybe he’ll sing to me, or make me something, or do something stupid to make me laugh. He’s good at that.

                I sat up in my bed and stared at my door. Across the hallway was Luhan’s room, who in his absence became a forbidden room of doom. No one wanted to go in since he disappeared. I actually don’t know why either. Maybe it’s because going into his room would make things worse.

                I stood up and opened my room door. I closed it and reached for his, feeling the cold metal knob in my hands. I turned it ever so slightly, and tightly shut my eyes. What if there is something inside? It’s ridiculous. Who could possibly be inside?

                Luhan.

                I turned the knob and pushed the door open. A ray of light shone into the room, illuminating the dust particles that had started to fly around. The room was untouched for weeks, and it was weird to see Luhan’s room like that. Cold, dark and empty.

                Kind of like how the family is now.

                Luhan was never a particularly neat person, but it seemed like he did some cleaning before he left. His laptop was on the desk. The police actually tried to dig up some stuff from his laptop, like old emails and browser histories, but everything was cleared. This was pretty much like Luhan honestly. He didn’t like have millions of emails or stuff clogging up his browser history, so he cleaned them often.

                His closet was as it is, untouched and in order. I ran my fingers through his shirt sleeves, trying to imagine what it would be like if their owner was still around to wear them. His shoes were all in a perfect row. His caps were stacked up nicely and his jeans were folded neatly. Oh his jeans. I used to be jealous of Luhan’s jeans. They were so much nicer than mine, but on me they would reach my knees.

                His old belongings were still there. A Rubik’s cube, which he loved to play with, a few books and even Mr. Rubdub, an old yellow stuffed duck. Dad won Mr. Rubdub at a fair when we were kids, and he gave that to Luhan as a gift. I couldn’t believe Luhan saved that.

                I grabbed Mr. Rubdub and tucked him under my arm. The poor thing was getting dusty, I figured it would be good to give him a wash. I also took a book from one of his shelves. On the Road by Jack Kerouac. It was one of the few books I had recommended to him because Luhan can’t stand to sit down for long and read. I flipped the book around and noticed the chewed ends and yellow corners.

                “This is my copy. Jackass.” I smiled fondly, taking the book back with me. I left his room with a book and a yellow duck. Mr. Rubdub went into the wash and I dusted the book off, placing it back into my library.

                I didn’t tell my parents I went into Luhan’s room. I took Mr. Rubdub out of the wash and placed him on my bed. When Tao came to visit, he instantly noticed the old yellow thing.

                “I didn’t know you were so fond of yellow ducks.”

                “I’m not. This is Luhan’s. I kind of borrowed him for a few nights. His name is Mr. Rubdub.”

                “I’m sure he wouldn’t mind. Mr. Rubdub is in good hands.” He smiled, playing with my hands. They are so obscenely large while Tao’s hands are so pretty. God where is the justice in the world?

                “Tao?”

                “Yeah?”

                “Do you think Luhan will be okay?”

                He sighed deeply and I could see the creases on his forehead beginning to appear. I must have annoyed him a thousand times with this question but I needed an answer.

                “Yes. We’ll find him.”

                I needed someone to tell me what I needed to hear.

                “Okay.” I closed my eyes and my lips magically found his. After all these years, they have developed a mind of their own, and for a few beautiful seconds, there was peace on earth and heaven approaching.

                My huge hands roamed Tao’s body and Tao turned Mr. Rubdub’s head away.

 

A/N: Ugh class is a drag TT and I can't write as often as I can which is sad, but I do hope you like this update! The clues are starting to turn up, and soon we will know what happened to Luhan. Stay tuned for more!! Love you guys!!

GOD WHY ARE THEY SO PRETTY!!!! HOW TO BE IRENE?!?!?!? TT