Stupid Hide and Seek

Fireworks

A/N: Double Update!!! Read the previous chapter first if you haven't!

 

                My brother had this really annoying thing where he would be really good at hide and seek. He could roll his body up into any corner, and stay there perfectly still and unmoving. He had a knack for finding hidden spots that no one else would think of and climbing up trees and drain pipes. Playing hide and seek with him is like playing basketball with Kobe Bryant. You would always lose, and never know what to expect.

                “It’s not funny anymore!” I yelled from the top of my lungs as I ran around the back of our house. “Where are you Luhan?”

                “Oh come on! You haven’t even tried!” I could hear a voice calling out from somewhere but when I turned I couldn’t see anybody.

                “I have tried and I’m getting sick of it! Come out now Luhan!”

                “Only if you say I am the king of hide and seek.”

                “Luhan,” I groaned. This is so like him, to always wear me down until I give in to him.

                “You can’t find me! You can’t find me!” he singsonged in a terribly childish way (ironically we were kids then) and I rolled my eyes.

                “Fine, King of Hide and Seek will you please do this lowly peasant a favour and show yourself?”

                “Ta da!” Luhan’s little head peaked out from the chimney on our rooftop. “I’m here!”

                “Luhan!!” I climbed up a stack of old boxes and barrels to get to the edge of the roof. Luhan had climbed out of the chimney and had begun sliding down. His face was blackened with soot and I know that if Mom gets a look at what he has done to his clothes he would be in so much trouble with her.

                “Luhan it’s dangerous to be hiding up there!”

                “So what? We don’t use the chimney in the summer, and it’s actually pretty clean in there.”

                “Clean? You’ve got soot all over you!”

                “I know,” he shook his hair and tried to run his sooty hands all over my body. I squirmed away and he chased me. We ran around and around like that for 10 minutes until I fell to my knees with his tackling me. We were covered in grass, soot and sweat and probably would have given any mother a heart attack.

                But trust me, those were the good times.

                “I don’t get it,” Luhan asked me as we sat there, still trying to rub his face clean. “How come you never find me?”

                “Because you’re so good at this stupid game and you always hide yourself somewhere I can’t find you, like the chimney and next door’s dog kennel. You know one day you will find a spot so good I will never be able to find you again.”

                “Really?” his eyes and ears perked up at me, like it was a challenge waiting to be accepted. “What are you going to do then?”

                “I’ll just leave you till you get hungry. I won’t find you anymore.”

                “No you won’t. You’ll come look for me. You always do.”

                “Nuh uh. Next time this happens I’m just telling Mom. Then she’ll call the police and then they will come find you.”

                “I bet even they won’t find me, because I’ll hide somewhere so good no one can find me!”

                “Yeah, where do you think you’re gonna hide with this big body of yours?”

                “I don’t know. I could dig a hole, run across town or maybe….maybe even under your bed.”

                “You can’t even fit under your own bed!” I threw a leaf at him.

                “Maybe, but one day I’ll find a place that would fit me so good you will never find me.”

                “And then what?”

                “I’ll be the true king of hide and seek! Huzzah!!!” he fake kicked the air and tried to pull some lousy Bruce Lee looking moves. I rolled my eyes and pulled him inside. “Come on Your Majesty let’s go get cleaned.”

                That was before a lot of things. Before my dad lost his job and definitely before he founded his new company and made us rich. I like to think that my childhood spent at that time was the best, because we were the most normal. Those were the days when all we ever talked about was beating each other at rock paper scissors and trying to figure out where the other best hiding spot is.

                Every night since my brother disappeared, I flipped my sheets and looked under my bed. I don’t know why. There was no way in hell Luhan would ever fit underneath, but it seemed like if I didn’t do it, I would be weird.

                We talked to the detectives, but they seem to be just as baffled as we are. Luhan didn’t have a good reason to just disappear, especially not if he was going to be anointed CEO of a multi-billion dollar company. The easiest was kidnapping. They think that someone of Luhan’s status could easily be taken and held for a high ransom.

                “We’ll be on the lookout, and if you hear or come across anything demanding moneyarrow-10x10.png from you, call us immediately.” Inspector Kim gave us his name card as he took some final notes.

                “I can’t believe someone would do this to us. Why would they take my baby?” Mom cried, sniffing into her tissue.

                “This isn’t an unusual thing. Maybe it’s one of our competitors, trying to edge us out or something.” Dad pondered.

                “Dad, no matter how much they hate you they wouldn’t stoop to something so low.”

                “That just shows how much you know. This world is cruel.” He paced up and down the hall. “In this world there are people who will do just about anything to edge ahead, even if it means having to cut flesh and blood.”

                “My baby…they are going to cut my baby!!” Mom wailed.

                “Guys, can we all just wait till the red letter comes before we freak out?” I sighed loudly.

                “I don’t know how you can be so calm about this YOUR BROTHER JUST WENT MISSING!!” Mom screamed out loud. “All you men can talk about is whether your enemies are at it and you want to wait till the red letter comes! Where is my baby?!?!? Someone please find my baby!!”

                “Now now dear, there’s nothing we can do,” My dad went over to wrap his arms around my mother. “Kris is right, we just have to wait.”

                “What if he’s lost and abandoned somewhere? What if he’s dead? What if he’s chopped up and his body sold for parts? My baby…my baby…” my mother sobbed and sobbed and I tried to shake the image of my brother being chopped up. I can’t have this. I can’t do this now. I need to be calm. Calm. Calm.

                Usually what I do in order to be calm is to go and find Tao. I haven’t been to the office since Luhan disappeared and to be quite frank I don’t have the mood to go either. I left for his studio in a hurry, where he was there practicing his martial arts. I enjoy just walking in on spontaneous moments and happen to catch him stretching or punching or even just talking. Pure, uninterrupted and in-his-zen Tao is my favourite.

                This time he was talking to his secretary, making final decisions for his upcoming performance. I sat back against the glass wall and watched him. Long, slender legs, powerful arms and a mop top of messy jet black hair.

                “Kris!” he saw me and ran straight into my arms. Is it weird that no matter how sweaty he gets he still seems to smell incredible? I gave him a tight hug and kiss, Tao caught the look on my face and he knew instantly something was wrong.

                “They couldn’t find him?”

                “They said they will try.” I sighed. “Some suspect kidnapping.”

                “Who would want to take Luhan?”

                “I don’t know.”

                Tao ran a hand down my back and hugged me one more time. “You’ll find him.”

                “What if I don’t?”

                “You will. You always do.”

                You’ll come look for me. You always do.

                That was the night I started looking for Luhan under my bed.

 

A/N: These two chapters are a little short so I updated them together. School starts next week for me but I hope to keep updating as regularly as possible. Good luck to you all who have started school and leave a comment on this story too! Subscribe and upvote too! Thanks guys!!