five

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

I see her running towards my direction while waiving her hands excitedly. She’s back with her jeans and t-shirt outfit this time.

“You look radiant today.” I greet her in her favorite café. “I took the liberty to order an herbal tea for you.”

“Thank you.” she takes her seat and sniffs the mint aroma coming out of her cup. “What do I owe you this time?”

“Nothing, I’m just happy to see you.” I give her my flirty smile. I know I sound like a person that’s cheating on my fiancé, I also know that I look like someone that’s trying to get close to a girl, but I need to be her friend first for her to trust me and willing to give me what I need.

“I’m happy to see you too.” She sips her tea and gives me an expression that’s hard to guess.

“What?”

“What? Nothing.” She puts down her cups and plays with her fingers nervously.

“HyeRin-ssi, what is it?” I move my body closer to the table in between us.

She inhales deeply and thinks for some more before she speaks up. “Can I ask you a favor? But the favor is stupid and I’m pretty sure you’ll reject it.”

“Try me.”

She’s hesitant but seems like she has no other choice. “Can you be my pretend boyfriend for today?”

I widen my eyes and give her my cunning smile. “Me? Your pretend boyfriend? What are you trying to do?”

She takes a brochure from her bag and shows it to me, it’s a flyer containing a festival where people wear orange shirt everywhere.

“Koninginnedag—The Queen’s day, Amsterdam.” She hands me the flyer. “I’ve wanted to go since I knew the festival existed. But my uncle always refused to give me permission.” She pouts .

“And do you think he’ll give you permission if I go with you? That sounds impossible, he doesn’t even know me.”

“Maybe.” She makes a cute begging expression to me, “I mean, I understand why he forbid me to go with my male friends here, we have different culture—maybe he’s afraid I’d sleep with one of the boys. But you, you’re Korean, we share same life value.” She pauses to take a breath, “so maybe, if you say you will protect me and that we’ll stay in a different room he’ll believe you and allow me to go. You don’t have to actually go with me, you just have to pretend like you’re going with me.”

I look at the flyer and look back at her. She smiles at me with her hopeful eyes. “What if I agree, but your uncle still says no?”

“Then I’m desperate.”

“Why do you want to go so much?”

“I wanna see what it looks like, I mean it’s late Queen’s birthday and the whole nation celebrate it. The whole city closed down and people walk around in orange, how good that will look in a picture. Even though I’ve traveled before, I never been into any festivals because my uncle always said ‘no’” She’s back to her up-beat personality once she’s wandering about the festival.

“How’s your uncle? Is he scary?” I pretend to be afraid. I’m dating a President’s daughter, for god's sake, I think I can handle anyone’s uncle.

“He’s over protective towards me. But he’s the kindest man I’ve ever met in my life.”

“Fine, I’ll do it. But I’m coming with you.”

“To Amsterdam?”

I nod. “If I tell your uncle I’ll be responsible for you, I will take the responsibility seriously.”

“You don’t mind coming to Amsterdam with me?” She looks confuse.

“No, I think I have a great company, it’ll be fun. You did a great job describing the event for me, I’m curious myself.  When are we going?”

She thinks for a while before giving me the answer, “You will see my uncle this afternoon, and we’ll board the train tonight.”

“I just need to pretend to be your boyfriend right?

She nods, “But don’t be too touchy, I’m afraid that’ll turn him down.”

“Arraseo. If he asks how long

Please log in to read the full chapter