thirty two

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

“HyeRin-a, please come to your senses.” I lift her body to sit her. “We have to go now, tomorrow will be too late.”

HyeRin opens her eyes slightly but then close them again. Her complexion has turn from pale to ghost-like and I notice she can barely move her hands.

“Come on, we need to get out of here. Please get a hold of yourself.” I beg her.

She tries to lift her arm but lost control of it after she tries to do so. She looks at me with a look I can’t explain, another tear falls from her eyes while she tries to speak up.

“Go… without.. me.. I’ll be fine.” She forces herself to speak although what comes out of her are barely whispers.

“Aish, this girl. In a time like this you shouldn’t say something so depressive.” I round her arm around my neck then position her on my back to piggy-back her.

HyeRin has lost so much weight ever since she got here so lifting her is not a problem anymore for me. What I’m worry about is climbing the emergency stair, I’ve surveyed the stair earlier and it is a narrow aluminum round stair that can barely fit both of us. Ideally we need to climb it one by one to get to the top, but with HyeRin being paralyzed, I have no other choice but to carry her on my back. I constantly looking down to see if we’re being followed or spotted since this corner side of the hospital aren’t necessarily dark enough to hide us from the surveillance camera. I also need to continuously tighten my grip around HyeRin’s body and slightly hunch my back so she’d naturally lies onto my back. Let me tell you, climbing a narrow stair with a dead weight on your back with the pressure of being spotted by the nation’s best agents surely has drown all of my strength. I keep telling myself to climb the staircase one by one and soon I’ll be at the roof top.

What seems like ten minutes later we reached the top floor and to my surprise a helicopter already wait for us. A man steps out of the chopper and walk towards us. The wind from its rotor blade make it harder for us to get closer—since I also have lost my strength. The man runs a little bit to get into us faster, once we’re within his reach he helps me to support HyeRin on my back.

“Ok TaecYeon-ssi?” He has to shout so I can hear his voice.

“Ne, Park YoungJoo-ssi?” I shout back.

He nods his head quickly as he leads us into the helicopter. There are only him and one pilot, the pilot helps us to take HyeRin’s body from the inside and rest her into the seat while Park YoungJoo busies himself with fastening the seatbelts around her.

He hands me a headset to make it easier for us to communicate.

“What’s her current situation? Do I need to prepare a paramedic?” He speaks into the microphone on the headset.

“She’s drugged and sedated. I believe the term ‘paralyze’ applies to her at the moment.”

“Okay, I’ll take her from here. I’ll make sure a paramedic will stand by at the destination.” He offers his hand for me to shake, “Thank you for your cooperation TaecYeon-ssi.”

“Thank you.” I shake his hand.

“Now, I’ll have to get out of here before the agents notice.” He takes the headset from my hand and climb into the chopper.

“WAIT! I’M COMING WITH YOU!” I have to shout to make him hear me.

He turns his head, studies my face and give me back my headset. “TaecYeon-ssi, I told you to think about this. This is not just a simple rescue mission. There is certain risk…”

I ignore his warning and step into the helicopter myself. I position myself next to HyeRin and fasten my own seat belt. “I know. I’m in.”

We lock eyes for a few seconds before he nods firmly and closes the door. He positioned himself next to the pilot and gives an instruction to go.

“sure you know what you’re doing? there’s no turning back from this.” I hear his voice in my headset.

“I know what I’m doing.”

I turn my head to HyeRin, takes off my jacket to cover her body that’s only covered in hospital dress. She lost consciousness completely and I’ve never seen her in any worse condition than this. I let her body leans against mine as the pilot takes us higher into the night sky. I don’t know where he’s going to take us but I’m sure it’ll be much safer than he hospital. The city lights beneath us flashes as we go further away from the central of Seoul, and I remember the dreaded conversation I had with Pak YoungJoo earlier.

 

“Oh and there’s something else,” he pauses.

“What?”

“I will take her far away from here. We already made an evacuation plan for her.”

“I know, so what’s your point?” I try to sound calm.

“The moment you hand her to me will be the last time you’ll ever see her, TaecYeon-ssi. She will vanish and no matter how you’ll look for her you won’t find he

Please log in to read the full chapter