one

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

Everyone has left. The body guards, the paparazzi, the ministers, even the president himself have left the burial ground. It’s just me standing on top a still wet ground that just swallowed the love of my life underneath it. Lee HyeMi gave her last breath yesterday after a long and winding battle. I did everything I could to save her, we all did, the whole nation did.

“HyeMi-aa~ mianhe.” I finally allow myself to cry. I broke down on my knees, hugging her tomb stone as if I’m hugging her. I’m not ready for this. Our wedding is only three months away, she should’ve be saved by the new procedure. Her body shouldn’t have rejected the new organ. But here we are, she’s gone with me hopelessly mourning for my lost.

“IT’S NOT FAIR!” I cry out loud. “YOU LET HER FOUGHT HER BATTLE BUT TAKES HER LIFE IN THE END!!” I shout at the sky, “SHE’S A GOOD PERSON, SHE’S PERFECT!! WHY DON’T YOU PLAY AROUND WITH SOME SOULESS BASTARDS INSTEAD?!!! WHY HER?!!” I get up and kick some gravel with my foot. “YOU DONE A VERY POOR SELECTION, LORD! YOU TAKE AWAY GOOD PEOPLE. YOU !!” I keep shouting at the sky. I know this won’t solve anything, but I need to release my anger somewhere. The way I see it, the guy up above is one to blame.

“You believe she’s a good person?” I hear a voice from a distance.

I stop kicking the ground to look around me, no one is here. It’s almost sunset, no one hangs out at the grave yard. Did I just hallucinate?

“You don’t like my natural selection, do you?” i hear the voice come from behind me, I turn around a see the biggest human like figure I’ve ever seen.

“Who are you?” I stutter, the figure in front of me is about 9 feet tall with wide shoulders which covered with a long black coat. His face is pale white and has a constant annoyance look in it. His bright red eyes lock with mine, that’s when I realized he has no pupils in where human pupils should be. What strikes me the most is the weapon he carries with him.

“I think you know who I am.” He brings his weapon forward. “Humans talk about me all the time, you see. I’m sure this scythe will give you some clue.” He gives me an annoying smirk.

I look around, trying to get a hold of this nonsense. The first thought I have in mind is some punks try to mess up with me, or maybe some kind of weird TV show that tries to take advantage of my grieves and turn it into huge joke to humor people with.

“You can just -off, I’m not interested in your joke.” I turn around and take my step away from this freak.

“So, your fiancé lost her battle when she was promised a complete recovery.” His voice interrupts me.

I stop my pace and try to figure out how he knew about her death.

“Organ rejection, ha! After trying to get a donor for years, one that finally available turned out not to be a match.” He continues to toy with my feeling.

I turn around to walk fast towards him. “I’m not in the mood to be in your play. Just -off!” I grab his coat in the mean of threatening him.

“Hahaha. Humans, what makes you think you can scare me?”

 Suddenly my grab in his coat loosen and he vanishes from my side. I believe I really am hallucinating.

“You’re so heartbroken by your lost, don’t you?” his voice comes from my left side.

“WHO ARE YOU?” I shout at him, getting more and more frustrated.

“You know me, you were shouting at me a while ago.” He takes a stone and runs it on the blade of his scythe.

Fine, I guess I’ll play along. I scoff before I say my words, “You’re telling me that you’re God?”

He stops sharpening his blade and stare into my eyes. “God? No, I’m not him. I’m scarier that God. People seek God in order to find peace and solace. Humans avoid me if they can, because it’s me who they fear the most, the grim reaper.” He introduces himself proudly.

Okay, this is a joke. It’s getting dark and I decided I had enough hardship throughout the day to deal with this lunatic. “Nice speech, dude. Look, I had a rough week, so you’d better go.” I finally decided to leave the grave yard altogether.

“You don’t trust me?”

“Why would i?”

“Because I can bring your love back to life.” He points his scythe towards HyeMi’s grave.

“Non-sense.” I keep on walking further from him.

“Let’s make a deal, TaecYeon-ssi,” He calls my name, how did he know my name?  “I’ll bring her back to life, with some effort from your part.”

Suddenly his figure appears in front of me and forced me to stop walking.

“You were so angry at me, saying how I wasn’t being fair to such perfect creature as she is. It tickles my curiosity.” He lifts one of his—what I believe supposed to be—eyebrow.

“This is bull, I’m not interested.” I avoid his body and continue walking to my car.

“Really? Even when I say I can bring her back to life?” he walks beside me, well, he glides actually.

Please log in to read the full chapter