sixteen

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

It’s been weeks since I last contacted my father to tell him that I’m taking a break from the company because of personal issue—he’s pissed, but he said he’ll replace me for a while until I feel better, I’ve been busy mending up HyeRin’s Morris as well as my broken heart. After living in this place for more than a month, I begin to be a part of their little family. I’d wake up and help HyeRin prepared European breakfast for the three of us, after she takes off to her campus Park IlShik and I will start working in the workshop until we’re hungry, by the afternoon sometime I pick up HyeRin at her campus and go to her favorite café where we first met. It’s amazing how this little family function better than some big families I’ve seen.

Tonight is the night before the big surprise. Park IlShik plans to surprise his niece at three in the morning—he said twelve o’clock is expected, he wants her to think we kind of forget her birthday—and he asks me to divert HyeRin’s attention from the house for the whole day. I need to get her out of her own house so her uncle is able to test drive the car before handing the key to HyeRin for real.

Me in the other hand, have also prepared a birthday gift for her—it’s nothing compare to the old Morris, but I’m sure she’ll appreciate it. I’ve been thinking hard about the perfect gift for a girl that already has everything. Apparently it has become my fate to always involve with these kinds of girls. I used to give HyeMi a holiday plan for her birthday, she loved it when I took her to Venice last year. However, HyeRin already lives in Europe, I have to step up my game a little, a ticket to Venice is something she can buy for herself, I want her to have an experience she won’t forget. I consulted my big idea to Park IlShik this morning and the look in his eyes tells me that I did a great job preparing for her birthday.

I make my way to HyeRin’s campus to pick her up, my plan to distract her is taking her to our favorite café and have a decent meal after that. I’ll take her home after 10, I’m sure her uncle would be back by then—and also already hidden the gift.

 

“Look at you, picking me up again.” HyeRin runs a little towards me with a big smile on her face.

“I want to hang out with you, come on let’s go to our favorite place.”

“Actually oppa, I have a better idea.” She grins with excitement.

“Okay, show me the way.” I take her backpack and carry it for her before I let her lead the way.

Her better idea turns out to be sitting near Opera de Lyon by the Rhone River bank. She said there will be an art performance in the evening, and we should stand-by to watch it.

“You know, in Seoul you can do this in Han River too, hanging out by the river with your lover.”

“Hahaha, I know. Even though I don’t know what’s the fuss about that.” She rolls her eyes.

“O..ho! Park HyeRin, you never did that with your boyfriend before, didn’t you? That’s why you became a cynic.”

“Well, in my defense, I didn’t have much time to go outside my house when I was younger. Ergo, I didn’t have time for boyfrien

Please log in to read the full chapter