nineteen

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

Our first day went the way I expected it to be. We entered the park and HyeRin immediately wants to try the Frontierland area in the east side of the park. We agreed to take our time and enjoy each ride, since we got three whole days to explore the theme park anyway.

We wait in line patiently for every single ride we want to take, I suggest her to get the express pass but she refused to do so, she wants to enjoy every second of her time in Disney Land. For our early rides, we chose to do something challenging—that we know will be crowded later on—and takes the kiddy rides later.

“Okay, what now? Another roller coaster ride?” I keep holding her hand whenever we’re side-by-side.

“I’m hungry.” She pats her stomach and point to the snack truck nearby.

“What do you want?”

We come closer to the truck and she points a caramelized apple and asks the clerk to give us two portions.

“Let’s take a seat there.” I point a bench next to the truck.

“Oppa, after this can we take the princess rides?”

“What? I never heard of that.”

“The fantasyland.”

“Sure, which one you want to try first?”

“Peter pan!” she bites her apple.

“We can do that, you can try each and every rides in this park HyeRin-a, you can go twice if you want.” I brush her lips that are smudged with the caramel with my thumb.

“Will you laugh at me if I say I want to take pictures with Mickey and Minnie?”

“Not at all. Who’s your favorite character?”

“Tigger.”

“The tiger from Winnie the Pooh?”

“Ng, have you watch his movie? You should, the soundtrack in the end of the movie always bring tears to my eyes.”

“I’ll watch it later, then.” I finish my apple and ready to go for another ride.

As we make our way towards the fantasy land, HyeRin lands her eyes in one of the Disney store along the way and she drags me in.

“Look! The Mickey-Ear headband. I always wanted one of these. My sister had it when she went to Florida and I envied her for this.” HyeRis grabs a headband and put it on her head.

“You can get as many as you want now, I’ll buy it for you. Why don’t you buy all versions of it?” I take one and put it on my head too. The nice thing about hanging out in the theme park is, no one will assumed you’re nuts if you wear weird accessories.

“Can I have this one?” She takes the Minnie Mouse one with a signature dotted bow.

“I’ll take this one, too.” I point to the one I have on my head.

“Perfect.” She smiles and let me pay for our first souvenir.

 

We spent the rest of the day in the park trying to get on each ride. It’s almost impossible to do because during summer, most of the children are having their summer holiday and Disneyland seems like a perfect place to entertain the children. By the end of the day, we only managed to finish the Frontierland, Adventureland and half of the Fantasyland.

“So, what should we do now oppa? The park is closed.” She frown her lips on our way to the main gate.

“The Disney village is still open, we can grab a bite to eat. Aren’t you starving? I’m famished.”

“Ng, I’m craving for good meaty burger.”

“Not your standard healthy food.” I mess her hair but follow her appetite and search for a burger place.

We enter the restaurant and pick our seat, as usual HyeRin does all the French talking. Since this is Disneyland, everything is obviously over price, even our burger is served in an exquisite way.

“Shall we have some wine to go along with it?” I offer HyeRin the beverages menu.

“If you want some, just order it. I’ll drink my water well.” She raises her glass and sips her water.

“Well, there’s no fun in drinking alone.” I give back the beverages menu to the waitress and wait for our order. “So you don’t drink alcohol at all?”

She smile and nod to answer me, “I tasted wine before and I have to say I love it. I have trouble digesting foreign substance though, that’s why I prefer to drink and eat right.”

“I think I can relate to that, I’m allergic to peanuts. My throat will close in whenever someone accidentally put peanut in my food, and that’s the worst feeling when you can’t enjoy certain things because your body cannot digest it.”

“Really? You never told me about that, you’re lucky I never use peanuts in my cooking.” She places her chin on her knuckle. “Oppa, tell me more about you.”

“What about me do you want to know?” I slide my hand across the table to hold hers.

“Hmm.. what do you like, what you dislike, how you were as a child, how did you turn into the amazing man you are now, those kinda stuff.” She cannot hide the admiring look in her eyes.

“Okay, I’ll think about it.” I wander my gaze around the restaurant, thinking about my childhood story to tell her, “I’m the youngest kid from two siblings, my mom passed away when I was in high-school so my dad raised both of us on his own, I was a geek back then because all the cool kids hang out together while all I did was reading American comic books and watch Star Wars.”

HyeRin laughes, “We could be best friend if I knew that, I love the whole idea of comic books and Star Wars too.”

“I know right?!” I slam my hand to the table excitedly, finally someone share my geeky side. “I get my degree in the States and when I return to Korea my dad already prepared a spot for me as a CEO in his company.” I explain my life story as short as I can, I don’t want to bore her.

“What about your brother?”

“He’s given a responsibility to take care of the U.S branch. I handle the one in Korea. He’s married to an American lady and at this moment they’re expecting their first child.”

Our burger come as I finish the story about my brother, we’re both busied ourselves with the fancy burger that’s called “deconstructive burger”.

“What about your father?” HyeRin keep asking question about my family.

“My father is a well-respected man in our country, I admire him personally because he built everything that we own from scratch.” I take a bite of my fo

Please log in to read the full chapter