twenty eight

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

A week has passed since HyeRin went through all kind of pre-test needed to provide the doctor for the confirmation of organ donor. Luckily after the dreaded first day, HyeMi gave me all the time in the world to spend together with HyeRin, therefore I could be there for HyeRin the whole process. Honestly it wasn’t a pleasant experience, seeing someone I care about went through from one sample taking to another sample taking; blood sample, urine sample, spinal fluid sample—I wish I could replace her for this one, I just couldn’t stand seeing how much pain she endured in during this process. The procedure didn’t end there, she needs to be fit also to be a donor so she went through all physical examination there were for the rest of the week.

As for our time together, surprisingly we have spent it together without anyone trying to bother us. HyeRin’s bodyguard seemed to understand what kind of relationship we have, he keeps his mouth shut for this one. To my surprise, HyeMi lied for me the whole time I was here. She told the president that I was busy with my job and I can’t attend too many lunch and dinner date with the first family—seems like she at least tried to make it up to me—while she knows exactly where I was the entire week.

We were having lunch in the hospital cafeteria when HyeMi calls. I take a quick glance at HyeRin in front of me and signed to my phone telling her I need to take this.

“Ne HyeMi-a?”

“Oppa, are you at the hospital? If you’re with her right now, just go right away.” She sounds like she’s in a hurry.

“Why?”

“Appa is heading there! Do you wanna get busted? I take my time in the lavatory to tell you in advance, you should thank me for this.”

“Okay, I’ll hang up.” I press the red display on my phone. “Your dad’s heading here. We can’t get busted.” I talk to HyeRin while cleaning up our plates quickly.

“What? He’s coming? On what occasion?” The color in her face vanishes as fast as the news delivered.

“I don’t know, let’s get you to your room.” I help HyeRin to get up and hold her arms closely to mine.

As we walk from the cafeteria, the hospital workers seem to be busy tidying up themselves too, seems like the news that the president’s coming is right. We reach the lobby when I noticed the president’s car pull off at the front main door. HyeRin seems to noticed the same thing as we fasten our pace toward her ward.

“Oppa, what should we do, how are you going to get out of here?”

“I’ll think of that later. Hurry up let’s get to the room.” I press the elevator up button in a hurry. The number on the display tells us that the elevator is too far from our floor and it’s just impossible to wait for it before the president bust us.

“, there’s no time isn’t it.” HyeRin curls her eyebrow looking even more worried that before.

“Let’s do it the emergency way.”

“Ne?”

I lift her body quickly on my back and head straight to the emergency stairs.

“Oppa, my ward is on the 7th floor. You’ll passed out if you do this.”

“Nope, I’’ll pass out after I put you on your bed. Help me out, just wrap your hands around my neck, it’ll make it easier to carry you.” I start to climb the stairs as quick as I could.

I can feel HyeRin wraps her arms tighter to me while she lowers her face near my neck. “Gomawo oppa.” she whispers softly.

I chose not to reply, since every breath I take count at the moment.

Seven flights of stairs later we managed to get into her ward just in time. Although I’d love to have some time for me to relax my thigh muscle that’s screaming in pain at the moment, I have to move out of her room quickly before the president got here. I wipe the sweat on my forehead and slide the door close behind me. HyeRin’s body guard is looking at me in disbelieve while monitoring the president’s position from his earpiece.

“You should have told me about this.” I pat his shoulder.

“It’s not planned. He’s here for the test result Aggashi has took earlier.” He looks alarm. “By the way, he’s already in the elevator. You’d better have an escape plan.”

“I haven’t got a time to breathe!”

A sharp ‘ding’ in from the elevator direction tells me that the man’s already in the same floor as we are. I head straight to the emergency stairs again as my emergency plan but HyeRin’s body guard hold the back of my collar and shake his head, “Too many securities waiting in the emergency stairs at the moment.”

“What?! What should I do then?”

“I’m sorry sir, I can’t help.” He suddenly stands straighter than he was before and signaling me with his eyes that the president is at the end of the hall way.

I take a deep breath and decided to stand straight right next to him. My heart beats very fast—not only because I’m nervous, but also because I’m still catching my b

Please log in to read the full chapter