fifteen

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

Park IlShik opens the barn door to let me in, he’s done his homework of finding Yamaha R1 I need to replace HyeRin’s Morris engine. He takes down the black cover from the motorcycle and shakes his head in disbelieve.

“I still can’t believe you plan to replace a car engine with a motorcycle one.”

“Believe me, it produces at least 170 horse power, it’s brand new anyway so the possibility of it being broken is close to zero.”

“You’d better be right about this.” He hands me his tool box. “Otherwise I’m going to look like an old man that’s having a mid-life crisis, buying himself a big motorcycle.”

“It’ll work samchon. By the way, where did you find the motorcycle?”

“Italy.”

“You really did your homework, samchon.” I smile politely at him and start working to tear down the engine casket.

I return to Lyon in less than a week. It is true that I’m running away from my problems, but things back at home has really cornered me to my limit. HyeMi continuously called me, asking if I can make appearance in his father gala dinner because she’s afraid her father would get suspicious. I refuse to come obviously, even if I try to man up and come I don’t think I can hide my disappointment.

Here in Lyon I feel like I have a new life, I can forget about work and the company, I can do what I like to do the most—playing with the engines, I feel more welcome in this city somehow compare to my own home. As much as Park IlShik being over protective about HyeRin, he also likes the idea that HyeRin has somebody to care for her, he also like to believe that HyeRin and I are a couple—he enjoys the idea of HyeRin not being alone.

“Do you need my help?” He tries to find something to do other than watch.

“I can use another pair of hands to hold this thing, I’ll loosen the bolt, can you please hold it so it won’t crash down?”

He does what I asked, during the day Park IlShik has become one of the best assistant I could ask for—the one that follows order. We spent the entire morning and take some rest at noon, by the time the old man feels hungry.

“Let’s take a break, I’m starving.” He takes a cloth and wipes his oily hands on it before giving me the cloth to do the same.

We walk back to the house and I see HyeRin across the field, playing with their two dogs. I came early in the morning today, she hasn’t awake yet by the time I arrived. She stops playing with the dogs and approach us, looking confuse.

“Taec oppa, samchon, what are you guys doing? Oppa, when did you get here? Did I miss anything?” she looks back and forth between me and her uncle.

“He’s my guess, HyeRin-a.” he taps his hand on my shoulder, “he’ll be staying in our house, I need his help with my project.” Her uncle explains the truth without revealing the surprise.

HyeRin turns her gaze at me and put her head down the moment our eyes lock.

“I just arrived this morning, you’re a sleepy head for sure. What girl still sleeping after 8?” I try to clear the weird atmosphere between us.

“I finished my assignment  very late last night.” She bites her lips nervously, “You guys must be starving, I made onion soup. Let’s eat.”

We follow her into the house and sit in the kitchen table while waiting for her to preheat the soup in the oven. HyeRin is being as charming as I remember, her attire of choice today is a simple blue shirt that she pairs up with a pair of shorts. Her indoor slippers bring a smile to my face, it’s Hobbes—from Calvin and Hobbes comics by Bill Watterson—opening its mouth and HyeRin slipped her feet in where Hobbes mouth supposed to be. She has a sense of humor for sure, maybe that’s what makes it so easy to be around her.

“You should’ve told me TaecYeon oppa’s coming samchon, I’ll cook more.”

“Aish, I want him to see the real side of you, maybe then he’ll get a second thought.”

“What is wrong with my real side.” She pouts to her uncle and takes a seat in front of me. “I hope you enjoy the humble French food.”

“I’ll eat well.” I dip the spoon and take my first bite. “It’s surprisingly good, I thought you cannot cook.”

“Aish, if I cannot cook, who will take care of my precious uncle, ng? I cannot let him buy street food all the time.”

“You should try her apple pie, TaecYeon-ssi. It’s to die for.” Park IlShik joins in our conversation.

“Really? Can you make it tomorrow?”

“Ya! do you think this is a bed and breakfast?”

“HyeRin-a, he’s older than you, be polite to him.” her uncle scolds her.

“Samcooon… why are you on his side

Please log in to read the full chapter