twenty two

The Hidden Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Which menu you want for breakfast?” I offer HyeRin a menu provided next to the telephone in our room. We decided to stay in this morning instead of dragging ourselves downstairs for the buffet breakfast. Compare to that, breakfast in bed sounds more appealing to us.

“Just give me the croissant and butter, you know I don’t eat much food in the morning.”

“Okay, I’ll make the call.” I lift the phone and directed to the receptionist, asking for our breakfast to be sent to our room instead.

HyeRin decided to wrap herself back in the blanket to get some more sleep.

“Hey sleepy head, we still have some Disneyland to explore.” I hug her from behind.

“I know, but I feel so tired. It’s your fault oppa, you couldn’t get your hands off me all night.” she pulls the blanket to cover her blushing face.

“Then who told you to be that adorable.”  I kiss the top of her head lightly.

I let her sleep for some more while I take my morning shower. I cannot help not to think about everything that happened last night, how a simple gesture led us to an intense relationship, how HyeRin willingly gave her innocence to me, how madly we let love overtake our sanity, how I helplessly keep falling deeper for her, and how she slowly opens up to me about herself. The more I know her, the more I know I want to stay beside her. She covered herself in this perfect disguise to make me think she got a beautiful perfect life, little by little she peels off the layer of her protective sheet and let me see through her—a scared little girl that’s always hiding beneath her beautiful smile.

The bathroom door is knocked and my thoughts about HyeRin interrupted.

“Oppa, the room service is here. Do you have any cash with you? I don’t think he’ll receive his tip in card.”

“Ng, try to look in my wallet, I think I have some little Euro left.” I rinse myself for the last time before taking the towel to dry myself, “ I’ll be done soon.”

I take some more time to shave my face and put on some lotion to keep my skin from drying. I put my clothes on and checked my reflection in the mirror one last time before I head out.

As I get out, the room filled with the aroma from our breakfast. I head to the dining room to find HyeRin, she’s not in the dining room as I expected, instead she’s standing near the main door with my wallet in her hand and a look I’ll never forget. Her eyes widens in fear and her lips has lost its color, it almost like she just seen a ghost.

“Hey, what are you doing there? What happened? Are you okay?”  I come closer to her.

The expression on her face has change as she takes a step back away from me.

“HyeRin-a, is everything okay?” I take another step closer to her.

“Don’t come closer.” The fear in her eyes gets more intense.

“Ya, what happened?”

“Who are you?” She stutters.

“What?”

“WHO ARE YOU? HOW DID YOU FIND ME?!” HyeRin tries to scream at me but her voice jut trembles even more.

“HyeRin-a, what is going on? I don’t understand.”

“Who is she to you?” She lifts a picture I keep in my wallet, the picture has been there for so long I honestly forgotten about it.

“That’s my girlfriend—my ex-girlfriend.” I start to get the idea of her anger now. “Hey, that picture had been there for a long time, I almost forgot I hav..”

“Did she send you to find me?” HyeRin takes another step back from me.

I close my eyes while trying to make sense of this bizarre conversation. What just happened to HyeRin now? She was fine a moment ago until she saw the picture of me and HyeMi in my wallet.

“No. HyeRin-a what are you talking about?”

“Oh my God, she’s dying isn’t she?” she keeps on walking backward and away from me.

“Who’s dying?”

“Lee HyeMi. Your girlfriend Lee HyeMi is dying isn’t she? That’s why you’re here.”

I feel like I’ve been splashed by very cold water. How did HyeRin knew about HyeMi? Moreover, how did she knew HyeMi’s dying?  “How.. did.. you..?” I slowly speak out my mind.

“Oh my God, so it’s true?” HyeRin cover with her hand, she cannot step away anymore as she hi

Please log in to read the full chapter