Chapter 4

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Jiyong grabbed his lunch tray and walked to the single bench behind the cafetaria. It was his favorite place in the school; he could avoid the crowds and enjoy the sunshine. He sighed as he grabbed the juice box and lay down on seat. His eyes took in the doodled scratches from over the years on the old wood and the blue, wispy sky above him. His respite was short-lived because he heard a voice that always got on his nerves, accompanied by the sound of a girl sobbing. 

"I don't understand why you are so upset. You don't even know him..."
"Seunghyun, you don't understand! I think it was Dad..."
"Kelly, Dad has better things to do than attack teenage boys. You are just being paranoid."
"No I am not! I told you, his brother Baekhyun pushed Dad in the water! And Dad talked about a mistress! What if mom found out?"
Jiyong heard Seunghyun sigh.
"Kelly, I can talk to Dad if you want."
"No you can't! He'll be so mad!"
"Jesus, Kelly, what do you want me to do then?"
"I think we should give Baekhyun some money for Taehyung's treatment."
"What?! What the hell Kelly, we can't just give random people money!"
"Seunghyun! Taehyung isn't random! I...I..." Kelly's voice faltered away.

"...Damn Kelly, do you like this boy?"
"No! I just happen to be a decent person and I want to help people our evil father hurts because of his pride!"
"Kelly, he is our dad." Seunghyun said quietly.

Jiyong held his breath in the silence that followed. A few seconds later, he heard another sob and the sound of heels on brick as Kelly ran away. He heard Seunghyun sigh again, and his eyes met blue hair brighter than the sky as Seunghyun turned the corner. His brilliant, dark eyes squinted at Jiyong sprawled on the bench with his mini-raspberry juice box. He sauntered over and sat across from Jiyong, a mischievous grin lighting up his face.

"Long time no see, J. Cute juice box by the way."
Jiyong sat up, his cheeks burning. Did Seunghyun realize that Jiyong heard everything him and Kelly were talking about? It was not like he understood much anyway. All he did was confirm the rumors that Seunghyun's dad was a massive asshat.
Seunghyun studied Jiyong while Jiyong just avoided his eyes.
"You seem uncomfortable."
"You can't blame me. We don't really talk Seunghyun."
"Doesn't mean we can't start."
Jiyong finally raised his warm hazel eyes to meet Seunghyun's stormy, black ones. For some goddamn reason his cheeks burned even more furiously.
"What is it J? Questions about the fighting match from a little while ago?"
"I didn't pay much attention.." Jiyong stammered, but he did not look away.
Seunghyun sighed and tossed one of Jiyong's french fries into his mouth. "It's nothing, Kelly just wants me to pay for her injured boyfriend's treatment."
"Why don't you?"
"Why don't I? Maybe because I am poor and I don't know the kid?"
Jiyong couldn't help but laugh out loud. Seunghyun's grin was replaced by a confused frown. "What's so funny J?"
"It's Jiyong. And it's funny that you call yourself poor. That's the biggest understatement of the century, don't you think?"
Seunghyun leaned forward until his face was mere inches from Jiyong's. Jiyong flinched but didn't move away. Seunghyun's eyes were too arresting, it was too hard to look away...
"My dad is rich Jiyong. And most probably so is the mistress he spends all his day with. But his family..." He laughed. "No. My mother and my sister and I... we aren't the most well-off people out there." 
Jiyong flushed and looked away. Why was Seunghyun telling him all this private stuff? Seunghyun seemed to sense Jiyong's discomfort too, and slowly leaned back. There was just silence now, broken only by the birds chirping and the distant sound of children playing on the school grounds.

Seunghyun was the one who decided to break the ice. "What are your weekend plans J?"
Jiyong looked back at Seunghyun. Why did he care...
"Nothing really. Why do you ask?"
"I was wondering if you wanted to come see me perform."
Jiyong went red again, probably for the thousandth time that day.
"Why?"
Seunghyun laughed that deep, hearty chuckle of his. Jiyong wanted to punch him because of how cute he looked when he laughed. WAIT, DID HE JUST THINK SEUNGHYUN WAS CUTE? Those stupid giggling girls were getting to him, now he was also getting infected by the Seunghyun Fan Disease.
"Why? Because I would like if you came, J, that's why!"
"I'll let you know if I can make it..."
Seunghyun pushed his phone into Jiyong's palm. "Give me your number, I'll text you where and when the band performs."
Jiyong stared at Seunghyun's shiny, expensive phone and then back at him. "I don't understand, we aren't friends..."
"Jesus, Jiyong, I am not asking you to give me your arm and leg. Just your phone number man."
Jiyong sighed. He was overthinking this, like he overthought everything else in his life. Blocking his crazy thoughts he quickly put his number into Seunghyun's phone and handed it back. Seunghyun smiled and got up to leave as the bell rang, signalling the end of recess.
"I hope you can come J," Senghyun said softly, as he flashed a flustered Jiyong his signature grin and jogged off into the afternoon sunshine.