Chapter 17

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Suga and Jackie were engaged in a chess game when KyungSoo came running into Jackie’s room, huffing and panting. Jackie looked up, her forehead scrunched.

“What’s up KyungSoo?” she asked.

He leaned back against the door and tried to catch his breath.

“It’s Jimin,” he panted. He got into a fight with this guy… apparently he’s the one who his ex cheated on him with.”

“Oh dear lord,” Jackie muttered, getting up and pulling on her leather jacket and stuffing her phone into the pocket. “Where is he now?”

KyungSoo grimaced. “Well, they were both throwing punches, and this is going to sound insane, but Gemma came over screaming and she just ended up stabbing the both of them with her heel. Can you even believe this madness?”

Suga stared back at KyungSoo. “This actually happened?!”

KyungSoo nodded. “Yeah, they called me since I was the one who had called the idiot last. So yeah, they’re in the hospital recovering from a puncture wound due to a freaking stiletto heel.”

“Who the hell called Gemma?” Jackie muttered as she walked down to the car. KyungSoo and Suga followed her.

“No idea,” KyungSoo replied. “I just reached the hospital and Gemma was crying and then she blurted out the entire incident. I saw a redhead there too. Maybe her?”

Jackie sighed and started the engine. In a few minutes they were pulling into the driveway of the neighborhood hospital. They ran up the stairs, and after asking the receptionist for room details, they barged into Jimin’s room. To say he looked pissed was an understatement.

“For heaven’s sake, Jimin,” Jackie hissed as she walked up to him. Instinctively, she put her hand on his forehead. But Jimin refused to look at her. He stared up at the ceiling, his cheeks reddening.

“Explain.” Suga said sternly. Jimin sighed.

“I was leaving the café,” he said softly. “And I saw him. I remember seeing him at the café before too actually. Anyway, he was talking to Kelly, Gemma’s best friend. And I was just going to avoid them, but they were so damn loud. Kelly was screaming- that he can’t mess with Gemma and just leave her behind. And that Gemma lost her boyfriend because of him so he needs to go help her recover. Yada yada. I just… I don’t know. I had finally found out who the guy was that led to her and I’s breakup, and suddenly all I saw was red. I went up and held him by his collar, and asked him, was he the one involved with Gemma. He didn’t say anything, except one word- sorry. And I punched him. And he punched me back, and then we were fighting and Kelly was screaming… I guess she was the one who called Gemma because Gemma was there a minute later, and she tried her best to pull us apart, but then she just lost it too and took off her shoe and stabbed us both in the shoulder. Goddammit.”

The others were speechless. Jimin reddened even more and shut his eyes. He opened them again in shock when Jackie flicked her finger at his forehead.

“Ow,” he whined, “what was that for?”

“You’re seriously asking her that?” Suga hissed, and flicked Jimin’s forehead himself.

Jimin winced and his side to escape any further injuries.

“Your anger issues are worse than Jackie’s,” KyungSoo muttered. To his surprise, Jackie nodded.

“Yeah, I thought I was the one with issues, but you take the cake. What the hell were you thinking Jimin? You’re lucky the redhead didn’t call the police on you!”

“I am sorry okay! And I will go apologize to all of them, if you want! But you cannot blame me for losing it, I…” Jimin’s voice cracked. “…I loved her. She’s the only one I could confidently say that for. Goddammit you guys, I thought…I thought I was going to marry her. it, you can make fun of me for as long as you want. But I was young, and alone, didn’t even have a family who bothers, and she was so important to my life for four freaking years. And then…I would have taken any other reason for our breakup. Cheating? That broke me. I felt so inadequate and unlovable. I…gosh I hate these painkillers. Making me say .” He buried his face in the pillow.

The others didn’t know what to say. KyungSoo shuffled out, muttering something about drinking water, and a flushed Suga followed. He was terrible with emotions so it was better to leave before he blurted something out. As he walked out, his eyes widened when he saw the guy from the concert there. What was his name…the lead singer…Seunghyun, wasn’t it? The redhead was holding his arm and sniffling, while the blonde, who he believed was Gemma, sat next to him, her head in her hands. Two younger guys had joined the scene too, one with dark hair and darker eyes, and the other with light brown hair and sad, hazel eyes.

Jackie stayed next to Jimin, her eyes sad. She reached out and slowly massaged his shoulder. He finally turned again onto his back and looked back at her, his eyes apologetic and regretful. “I lost it. I shouldn’t have.”

Jackie sat next to him and shook her head. “You had your reasons. However stupid they might be.”

Jimin chuckled sadly. “What do I do now, Jackie?”

“I think you should say sorry. I understand you were…you are hurt. But hitting him is still not warranted.”

Jimin nodded. “You’re right,” he said softly. “That’s the first thing I’ll do. Say sorry. And I will actually let go this time. I promise.”

“Take your time,” Jackie replied, her eyes not on Jimin anymore. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea to push Jimin into getting over this crap. He needed time and understanding, and all I did was yell at him and disregard his hurt. Maybe Jimin was right that night at the pub…I may not understand love. Maybe that’s what drove Kai away… Jackie pulled herself out of the hurtful thoughts. She found Jimin looking at her, concerned.

“What’s up Jackie?” he whispered, and raising his hand he pushed one of her many wild strands of hair behind her ear. She looked back at him, her eyes tearing up. “Do you still love her?” she asked softly.

Jimin knew who the “her” meant. Gemma. “I don’t know…I don’t think so…” he replied uncertainly. Jackie nodded. “I get it,” she replied. Jimin felt there was way more information behind that statement than he was aware of, but he knew now was not the right time to ask.

“I am sure of one thing though…” Jimin said quietly. Jackie gazed back at him but didn’t say anything.

“I know I love you.” Jimin said, his voice stronger now.

Jackie’s cheeks turned a soft pink. “Why… why?” she breathed, her grip on his shoulder tightening.

“Because when I distrusted everyone, I knew I could count on you. Always. Who would have known the wild girl I met that summer 10 years ago in South Africa, the one who rescued stray cats and rolled around in mud and ate an entire pizza by herself and never combed her mane of hair,” he laughed, before continuing, “who would have known she’d be my best friend, the girl who would make me love myself again when I was filled with so much hate…I am so grateful for you.”

Jackie couldn’t say anything. The idiot has made me emotional, goddammit. Knowing she would bawl her eyes out if she tried to say something, she settled by giving Jimin the biggest bear hug ever. He laughed and pulled her closer, his muscled arms holding her tight. I’m never gonna let you go, he thought. He didn’t know Jackie was thinking the exact same. He also didn’t know that Gemma stood outside, smiling because she thought Jimin had finally moved on, but her eyes sad because she could never forgive herself for hurting a kind and innocent person like him.