Chapter 22

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Baekhyun knew it was a bad idea. But he needed to apologize. And even though he hated to admit it, he just wanted an excuse to see Gemma. It was too hard for him to accept that the two of them may never speak again. He cared for Gemma way too much to let her go. Kelly’s words rang in his head- You can’t just leave her like that. You can’t. She was right. He couldn’t.

Baekhyun sent Gemma a quick text- Let’s meet tonight. Please. At the bridge at 8 pm?

He didn’t expect her to reply right away, and his expectations came true. It was a few hours into the afternoon when Gemma finally replied. Why?

Baekhyun typed back- I can explain everything when we meet. It has been so long. There’s so much to tell you.

Gemma’s reply was swifter this time. Okay. See you.

…………………………………………………………..

Gemma walked to the bridge a few minutes past 8. She could see Baekhyun’s outline in the traffic lights, his legs hanging over the edge. She walked over on soft steps, and he didn’t notice her presence until she dropped down to sit next to him.

“Hi,” Gemma said, her voice so low that Baekhyun almost missed what she said over the sound of the cars zooming behind them.

“Thanks for coming. You must not have wanted to.” Baekhyun said, equally softly.

Gemma avoided eye contact. “It’s okay. What did you want to say?”

Baekhyun sighed. “Firstly, I am so sorry. For everything that day… with Jimin. I didn’t mean to lose my temper like that… and I didn’t wish to hurt him.”

Gemma chuckled sadly. “I hurt both of you more than you hurt each other. How’s your shoulder?”

Baekhyun rubbed his shoulder, unable to stop himself from grinning. “I didn’t know you could be this violent. I also never thought I would be stabbed with a heel in my life.”

“Oh dear,” Gemma rubbed her eyes. “I still can’t believe I did that…”

“It doesn’t hurt much anymore,” Baekhyun said. “And trust me, we deserved it.”

Gemma nodded. “Oh yes, you certainly did. Fighting like that, I am so, so fed up Baekhyun…”

“I don’t blame you,” Baekhyun whispered.

For a few moments they were both silent as they listened to the hum of traffic and the flowing water below their dangling feet.

“Are you… are you doing better now?” Baekhyun asked Gemma, his voice full of concern.

Gemma didn’t reply right away. A few minutes later she said, “I think so. I… I was just so tired of being sad. And feeling like I am not in control of my own life. I felt like I was proving Amanda right, every time she called me helpless and stupid. So I have been trying… trying to be stronger. And more self-dependent… If I can’t help myself, no one else can.”

“You were never helpless or stupid.”

Gemma laughed. “I certainly felt like it.”

Baekhyun shook his head. “Amanda said those things to break you. You were the only one she could never fool… you intimidated her. And you were a threat to her plan.”

“Not such a good threat, am I?” Gemma said, “I could do nothing, as Amanda fired you for no damn reason, and then took over dad’s company and all my savings. And here I am, unstable and alone. She won. I was never a threat.”

“You don’t have to be alone…” Baekhyun said softly.

“It is safer to be alone.” Gemma replied as she turned her face away to avoid Baekhyun’s concerned gaze. She couldn’t let herself be overtaken by emotions.

Baekhyun ran his fingers through his hair. His arms ached to hold Gemma close, and assure her that everything would be fine, that she could be happy again. He longed to be with her again, talk about anything and everything and laugh about the silliest of things. He missed her. And it hurt him to never know if he was that important to Gemma.

“I can keep you safe Gemma,” he said, tired of keeping his thoughts and emotions to himself. He didn’t care anymore. There was no point to hiding his true feelings.

“I can take care of myself,” Gemma replied quietly.

“I know. But you don’t have to be alone. You… you are hurting. Let me help you. And… you can help me too.”

“I don’t know how I can help you, Baekhyun.”

“My mother’s boyfriend hurt Taehyung. The poor guy was in bandages for 2 months. I lost my job… I thought I could not afford my little brother’s treatment. I ache to take revenge, but I have no time or capacity. I can barely pay for Taehyung’s school and for two meals a day. And then on top of that, I am unable to speak with the one other person I trust and care for with all my heart. You. Gemma, I know and understand why we separated, but… but I am tired of pretending I am okay when I am not, and I can’t lose you. And I get it, if you never want to see me again. But I need to hear it from you. I need you to tell me if our relation deserves another chance. If not, I promise to never bother you again.”

“I still don’t know how I can help. Why do you need me? I can hardly take care of myself…”

“Gemma, I just told you how Taehyung and I are barely surviving. I am not doing a great job at taking care of myself either…”

Gemma buried her face in her hands. “I wish I could do something.”

“You can,” Baekhyun said softly. “Stay with me. I miss you. And so does Taehyung. And I am so tired of seeing you distressed and not being able to even listen to you. Let me… let me be with you. Come back to me, Gemma. Come back to us.”

Gemma raised her head. “I wish you wouldn’t do this…”

“Do what?”

“Make me seem more important than I am, or ever can be.”

“You don’t have an idea, do you?” Baekhyun breathed. He gently cupped Gemma’s right cheek with his hand. “You have no idea how important you are to me. I wish I could make you understand. I wish… I wish you could see yourself the way I see you.”

“…why?” Gemma asked, her voice small.

“The day I lost my dad, you told me that you saw him in me. You gave me hope that I could grow up to be the man I admired so much but had lost so soon. And the day you lost your dad, you held Taehyung’s hand and didn’t shed a single tear. When you lost your entire world to your greedy stepmother, you still refused to hate. Your endless love, that’s what inspires me. And I miss having that in my life. I am so scared of how much anger I have inside myself, and how I fight hate with even more hate. Your refusal to let hate overpower your capacity to love… it is so extraordinary. So it may even seem a bit greedy that I want you in my life. But I don’t even care. I just need you to know the truth, and hopefully… say yes.”

“Baekhyun…” Gemma’s voice faded away into the busy night. Leaning forward, she pressed her forehead to Baekhyun’s shoulder, and he held her and closed his eyes too, letting the summer night embrace them in its warmth.