Chapter 27

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Taehyung called Kelly. It had been a week since they had talked and he was a bit worried. He felt something was wrong- they usually hung out every day. And the fact that she was Mr. Callahan’s daughter created even more reasons for concern. Kelly didn’t pick up the phone the first time, but she picked it the second time he called her.

“Hello?” she said, her voice small.

“Kelly? How are you?” Taehyung asked, concerned.

“Taehyung-ah. I am okay. You?”

“I’m alright. Just thought of saying hi. Haven’t seen you in a bit.”

“Oh. Yeah. I…I have been busy. Yeah.”

A silence stretched between them.

Taehyung finally said, “Are you sure everything’s okay Kelly? You can tell me, you know?”

“…I am okay. I…I would tell you. Um, are you alright? Safe?”

“Why would you ask me that Kelly?”

“Um… I have just been a bit worried since you got attacked last month…”

“Oh. Yeah, well. Baekhyun filed a police report but they never found out who was behind it. I am thinking it was just a robbery incident. I just got caught in the middle of it.”

Kelly closed her eyes. If only Taehyung knew, he was the main target. Her father was the one responsible.

“Taehyung-ah, I hope it wasn’t anything serious but take care of yourself okay?”

“I will, Kelly. You too. And I am here if you need to talk anytime…”

“Yes. I know.”

Silence.

“Kelly?”

“Taehyung?”

“Do you want to get dinner tonight? We can invite Jungkook as well.”

Kelly paused. She knew she shouldn’t meet Taehyung, not after Mr. Callahan’s threats. But she wanted to… and she also remembered her talk with Jungkook. I was going to be brave. She thought of Seunghyun, her poor brother who was being forced to hide his true self because of discriminatory people like their own father. But even then he wasn’t scared of expressing himself and how much he cared for Jiyong. Seunghyun refused to give in to Mr. Callahan’s unfair threats. I should learn to be brave like my brother. Kelly took a deep breath and exhaled.

“Taehyung-ah? Can we go out, just the two of us?”

Taehyung paused for a second on the phone.

Then he said, “…yeah. Definitely. Let’s meet tonight.”

Kelly smiled as she hung up. This could be a date, right? Happy, she texted Jungkook- I did it. We’re getting dinner tonight.

Jungkook got back to her a few minutes later- You go girl. Let me know how it goes :)

Kelly smiled and started to get ready.

……………………………………………………………………….

Jungkook sat on the huge bay window on one side of his bedroom. He gazed down at the city below his apartment. He had just replied to Kelly’s message, just as he had finished texting Taehyung. Just a few minutes ago Taheyung had messaged him-

Taehyung: Jungkookie, let’s get dinner tonight? I am gonna ask Kelly too. Haven’t hung out with her in a while.

Jungkook remembered talking with Kelly the previous day, and how he had told her he’d try to not be a third wheel, and that he didn’t mind letting the two of them hang out without him. Even then he felt a bit lonely as he began typing back to Taehyung- I have some homework left to finish. You guys go on ahead without me.

However, before Jungkook could send the message, Taehyung texted him again- Jungkookie, Kelly just asked me to eat with her. Just the two of us. I don’t know why, but she sounds a bit upset. Let’s postpone our group dinner for another time?

Jungkook sighed. Deleting what he had typed so far he wrote Taehyung another message- Of course, it’s no problem. Have fun you two!

Sending it, Jungkook went back to gazing at the sparkling traffic lights below him, his mind wandering into the noise and crowd.

…………………………………………………………….

Kelly met Taehyung at a bubble tea café not too far from their high school. He waved her over to a table near the windows.

“I got you the taro flavored bubble tea. I remember it was your favorite.”

“You got that right,” Kelly said, grinning. Taehyung pulled her into a hug. “Have you been crying?” he asked her, his voice laced with worry.

Kelly sighed. She had washed her eyes repeatedly, and even used concealer for her dark circles. Guess she didn’t do a very good job.

“I hurt myself,” she lied, avoiding eye contact. She was a terrible liar. Just then, the waitress arrived with two bubble teas and a plate of sandwiches.

“How much do I owe?” Kelly asked Taehyung, pulling out her purse.

“No worries,” Taehyung replied, “I got it. Now, why don’t you tell me the real reason you’re upset?”

Kelly rubbed her forehead in frustration. I really need to learn how to lie.

“It’s nothing Taehyung-ah. Just a fight with father. Seunghyun’s upset too. I just felt bad about it all.”

“Mr. Callahan didn’t hurt you, did he?”

Kelly’s mind drifted to her father clutching her shoulders and shaking her hard. Her skin on the shoulders was still a bit blue.

“No,” she replied. “He can’t hurt me. Especially when Seunghyun oppa’s around.”

“I hope you don’t get offended,” Taehyung said softly, “but you and Seunghyun are really brave to live with a man like Mr. Callahan.” Taehyung’s cheeks reddened. “Sorry,” he added.

Kelly didn’t say anything at first. She slowly sipped her bubble tea and then said, “No. You’re right.”

Taehyung looked up from his sandwich.

“You’re right,” Kelly repeated. “My father’s a monster. He hurts me, and he hurts my brother even worse.” She took a deep breath. “He also hurt you, Baekhyun, and your father. I am not sure if he treats your mother, Ella, well either.”

Taehyung didn’t know what to say. Kelly went on, “I am tired of convincing myself that he can be a better man someday… the way he treated my brother last night, and the way he hurt you Taehyung-ah… I can never forgive him. My optimism is slowly becoming delusion. I can’t hide his crimes from the world anymore.” Kelly put her face in her hands. “Tae, your brother was right. My father was the one responsible for your attack. And I am so sorry. He’ll never apologize. And maybe apologies aren’t worth anything. But I am so, so sorry. For all the pain you and Baekhyun suffered. I hope you can accept it… I really do care for you…”

Taehyung reached forward and held Kelly’s hand. She intertwined their fingers and looked up at him, her eyes sad and apologetic.

“You don’t have to say sorry, Kelly,” Taehyung said quietly, “and I knew in my heart that Callahan was involved somehow. I just never talked about it because I didn’t want to worry Baekhyun any more than he already did… I also know I can trust you. So please don’t be sorry. I believe you, and I care for you too…”

Kelly smiled despite her sorrow. “Taehyung-ah, I am so grateful for you.”

“And I for you…” Taehyung replied, squeezing her hand.

“It’s just…”

Taehyung waited for Kelly to go on. Finally she said, “My dad knows I hang out with you. That’s what the fight was partially about. He doesn’t approve of it. I like being with you, I am just worried he’ll hurt you again if I don’t do as he says…”

“Kelly,” Taehyung said, his voice serious. “Do you want to be with me?”

Kelly nodded.

“And do you give the slightest about what that man Callahan thinks?”

Kelly shook her head.

“Then be with me. I am not scared. And you shouldn’t be either. We can’t let Callahan prove that his money is stronger than how much we care for each other.”

Kelly beamed at Taehyung. “Do you really mean it?”

“Of course I do,” Taehyung responded, smiling.

“…okay. I just want you to be safe.” Kelly squeezed Taehyung’s hand.

“And I want you to be happy, Kelly.”

Before she knew it, Kelly leaned forward and softly kissed Taehyung’s cheek. And when she realized what she had done, she leaned back quickly, blushing furiously.

“Um, I… is that okay?” she breathed, holding Taehyung’s hand tight.

Taehyung was too taken aback to say anything right away. Then, he said, “Yeah. Yeah, I guess so?” he stammered, blushing even harder than Kelly. She had never met anyone who could go redder than her, and it made her giggle. A few moments later, Taehyung joined her in her laughter, some happiness a good break in their strained day-to-day being.