Chapter 25

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Seunghyun knew something was wrong when his father called him and Kelly to his office. Their father hardly cared about them, so Seunghyun knew he wanted something. Love was a concept foreign to him, unless you counted love for money.

Seunghyun stood outside Mr. Callahan’s door, waiting to be called in. Kelly jogged over a few minutes later, looking nervous.

“Why did he call us?” she whispered, and Seunghyun just shrugged in response. No idea.

Soon after, the door opened and Ella walked out. She was Mr. Callahan’s secretary… and his mistress. Seunghyun hated her for the pain she caused their mother, but Kelly just felt sorry for her and her kids- Baekhyun and Taehyung.

“Mr. Callahan’s ready to see you,” Ella said softly. Seunghyun walked in, refusing to even glance at her, but Kelly gave her a sad smile as she followed her brother. Inside, Mr. Callahan sat in his big revolving leather chair, a malicious smile on his face.

“Children.”

Seunghyun said nothing. Kelly just nodded at their father.

“I had something to talk to you both about,” he said, his smile widening. Kelly’s heart thumped faster. She had a very strong feeling that this was going to end badly.

“Let’s start with the lady, shall we?” Mr. Callahan continued, as he turned to face Kelly. She gulped, and held Seunghyun’s hand.

“Yes, dad?” she whispered, wishing she could run out the room.

“I heard you’ve been hanging out with a certain someone these past few weeks.”

“S-Someone? Who, dad?”

“A certain someone I don’t approve of at all. You’ve always been obedient, unlike your dim-witted brother. And that’s why I was so surprised, that my little, dutiful Kelly was hanging out with a drug dealer’s son.”

Kelly gasped. Seunghyun’s hand tightened around hers.

“What do you mean?” Seunghyun hissed.

“What do you mean, DAD.” Mr. Callahan said, but Seunghyun refused to correct himself.

“Kim Taehyung.” Mr. Callahan finally said. Seunghyun felt Kelly’s hand shaking in his.

“It’s none of your business who Kelly hangs out with. Even if Taehyung’s father was a drug dealer, doesn’t mean he is one too.”

“I am not speaking with you, Seunghyun. I’d recommend you shut your mouth and let Kelly answer.” Mr. Callahan’s voice was cold and angry.

“Dad…” Kelly whispered. “I…I didn’t realize…”

“Oh really?” Mr. Callahan hissed, and walked up to Kelly so they were only a few inches apart. “You didn’t realize I would have a problem with you hanging out with a guy whose father tried to throw me in jail?!”

“Dad, Taehyung isn’t a bad guy. He doesn’t even speak about you…”

Before Kelly could continue, Mr. Callahan grabbed her shoulders and shook her hard. She cried out in pain and tried to back away but his grip was too hard. “I don’t give a what he thinks about me. You just can’t be seen with a hood rat who can’t even afford a decent house and whose father and probably even the brother, both sell drugs for a living. Don’t you dare be as stupid as your mother and brother!”

“Callahan!” Seunghyun screamed as Kelly whimpered in pain. He pulled his little sister close to himself and glared at his father. “How dare you treat her like that?! I was too young to do anything when you hit mum, but I won’t let you hurt Kelly!”

Mr. Callahan’s face was white with anger. His hands shook as he pointed a finger at Seunghyun. “You should be the last person pretending to be all macho and protective, you… you… .”

Seunghyun’s face drained of color. His breathing grew faster and he hugged Kelly tight.

“If I see my only son lounging around with another boy, I promise you that your little boyfriend will regret ever meeting you.”

Seunghyun clenched his jaw. “You better not touch Jiyong…” he hissed, his voice shaky. “I will hurt you if you even say a word to Jiyong.”

“I have a business empire, a legacy to carry on. I can’t have you and your stupid sister spoil anything. So get your act together before I am forced to do something drastic. I am guessing you still remember how long that Taehyung was in the hospital last time his brother messed with me.”

Tears trickled down Kelly’s face. Seunghyun looked like he could stab his father right then and there.

“Now get your ugly faces out of my sight,” Mr. Callahan growled and turned away, as Ella opened the door for Seunghyun and Kelly, her own eyes filled to the brim with tears.

.................................................................................................................................................

This chapter had some bad language and aggression, but it was only to show Mr. Callahan's terrible personality. Not advocating this behavior at all, and hope no one's offended. Thanks for reading! ^_^

-Gargi (A)