Chapter 31

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Baekhyun had just returned from work. He had just spent the past 7 hours washing dishes and now he smelt of soggy, even rotting food. Disgusted, he pulled out clean clothes and a fluffy towel and began to walk towards the shower. To his dismay, it was already occupied.

“Taehyung-ah!” he called out, “I’ll die if I smell myself anymore! Come out soon you brat!”

“Hyung! I bought new soap so I’ll take some time, sorry!”

Baekhyun had no idea how to respond to that. A few minutes later he sputtered, “Are you kidding me Taehyung? You’re going to let me rot into myself because you want to play with your soap?!”

“It’s shaped like an elephant and it also smells of oranges. You can’t blame me hyung.”

Baekhyun wanted to smack his head on the wall. He had the weirdest brother in the world. “Seriously Taehyung-ah, you don’t need to smell of oranges. You’re just gonna be in your room all night.”

“I’m not gonna be in tonight,” Taehyung yelled back over the sound of the shower.

Baekhyun chuckled. “Hot date tonight, Taehyung-ah?”

No response.

Surprised, Baekhyun went on. “It’s okay you can tell me that you and Jungkookie are going to be lame and play pokemon in his basement. You don’t have to pretend to me that you have a hot date.”

Again, no response.

“Yah, Taehyung-ah! Are you dead? Does that mean I can come in and shower?”

Taehyung finally replied. “Hyung, I do have a date tonight,” he said meekly.

Baekhyun laughed loudly. “So you’re a brat, and a liar.”

“Nope, hyung. I do have a date.”

“With?”

“Not important.”

“Trust me, it is. So I can warn her about your insanity.”

“Hyung! You’re supposed to encourage me and stuff.”

Baekhyun sighed and leaned against the bathroom door.

“Fine. First tell me how you of all people managed to score a date.”

Taehyung was quiet. Then he said, “I am not sure. It kinda just happened.”

“She asked you?”

“I think? I am not sure. We were hanging out and then she kissed me…”

“WAIT SHE KISSED YOU?!”

“No, no, hyung, it was only on the cheek…”

“Who is this mad woman who wants to kiss you?!”

“Hyung! Remember, you’re supposed to be supportive right now.”

Baekhyun sighed again. “So you aren’t sure if you’re just hanging as friends or if you’re going out on a date?”

“Jungkook says it’s a date.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “Jungkook’s good at pretending but we all know what a romantic he is. If he thinks it’s a date, check twice.” Baekhyun laughed again.

Taehyung opened the door just then and walked out, a towel around his waist and his chest still wet.

“Taehyung-ah,” Baekhyun complained, “dry yourself well, you’re going to catch a cold.”

“Hyung, you nag so much.”

“I can’t believe my baby’s going on a date.”

“Did you just call me your baby?”

“Why, are you not? You’re my baby, my little kangaroo, crazy little ladybug...”

“Aish, hyung!” Taehyung protested, but still unable to stop himself from grinning. “Your attempts at anything cute disgust me.”

“You like it little brother, admit it! Get used to cute stuff anyway, your girlfriend might attack you with aegyo tonight.”

“Kelly isn’t my girlfriend, hyung,” Taeyung replied, slapping on some aftershave on his cheeks. He hummed as he sifted through his closet for clothes, and it took him a few seconds to realize the silence that had filled the room. He turned around to look at his older brother.

“Hyung?” he asked, his eyes searching for emotion on Baekhyun’s face, but he was as expressionless as a stone.

“Callahan’s daughter.” Baekhyun said, his voice quiet.

Taehyung’s face reddened and he gasped. He hadn’t thought about how Baekhyun might react to this. In his defense, he wasn’t sure of what was happening with Kelly. He felt that she liked him, but he wasn’t sure about his own feelings. They had never directly confessed to each other, or clearly ask each other out on a date. Taehyung was confused and was just going with the flow. Whenever he asked his best friend Jungkook for advice, he would just say, Kelly’s nice. Give it a shot, Tae Tae.

“…yes.” Taehyung finally stammered and avoided Baekhyun’s gaze.

“You know it isn’t safe. You know Callahan hates you, do you really think he’ll be fine with you dating his only daughter?!”

“Hyung…”

“For ’s sake, Taehyung, did spending all that time in the hospital do nothing for your sense of logic? Do you not understand you need to stay away from anything even slightly related to Callahan?!”

“Hyung, I am not going to live in fear.”

“HE ALMOST HAD YOU KILLED! DO YOU NOT WANT TO LIVE AT ALL?” Baekhyun looked like he might cry.

“Hyung, Kelly’s not like him…”

“I know! I know Kelly isn’t like him, neither is her brother! No one can be as messed up as that son of a ! But I only care about you! I need you to be safe Taehyunggie! You’re the only reason I live! If something happened to you again… I couldn’t live with myself! You’re everything I have, please, please, take care of yourself! Nothing’s worth an attempt on your life, not even Kelly. Taehyunggie, please…”

Baekhyun’s voice cracked. He could go on no longer. Almost losing Taehyung after the attack on him, staying up nights gazing at his little brother in a coma and covered in bandages, and working the remaining hours of the day in jobs requiring a lot of hard labor just so he could pay for his brother’s medical expenses had left Baekhyun exhausted and broken. He worked every second of the day he was awake to make sure his brother- his lifeline- had a good life. Losing both parents had made Baekhyun the parent, and he couldn’t let his little brother feel like he was missing out on any love. However, Baekhyun was young too, and he had overworked himself. Now, he was too tired and unstable, and his heart was full of sorrow. Things got even worse when he lost Gemma, his best friend, and maybe something more.

“Hyung,” Taehyung said softly, his own eyes tearing up. “I am sorry. I am so sorry. Please don’t cry…”

Baekhyun wiped away his tears and stood up. “No, I am sorry. I shouldn’t have broken down like that… or yelled at you. It’s… it’s not fair to you that you have to live in fear… but for my sake Taehyunggie, please stay away from anything that can bring you close to Callahan. He has already taken both our parents away from us, we can’t have him break us apart too.”

Taehyung was quiet. He cared about Kelly, and it broke his heart to think they might not be able to hang out again. She was ready to defy her dangerous father for him, and here he was thinking of giving up on their entire friendship because he was scared? He didn’t know what to do. Jungkook. He would need to speak with Jungkook.

“Okay hyung,” Taehyung finally said, “I won’t meet with Kelly. Please be happy hyung.”

Baekhyun just pulled Taehyung into a hug. “I love you, you know. I am sorry if I hurt you today. I really am. I just… I just can’t see you like that again. The days you were in the hospital were the worst days of my life.”

“I know, hyung,” Taehyung said softly. “I love you too.”

Then with a heavy heart, he texted Kelly. Sorry Kelly. Something urgent came up. Will have to cancel tonight’s dinner. Sorry.

And then he sent a message to Jungkook. Can we talk? At the bridge?

Jungkook replied with a yes, and as Taehyung got ready to leave, his phone pinged again. It was a text from Kelly.

Oh, I see. It’s okay, I understand. Everything alright? Take care of yourself, okay? We can talk later if you’d like. :)

Taehyung heaved a sigh. Not knowing what to say, he decided not to answer. With a sad heart, he left for the bridge.

………………………………………………………........................................................................................................................

Hey guys! I will be travelling for about 4-5 days and won't have internet. That's why I'll be unable to update the story until then. However the next chapter should be up in 5 days! Take care. :)

Best,

Gargi (A)