Chapter 26

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

“You should finish your milk before you ask your brother for candy,” Suga said, grinning at a pouting Mia.

“He is always giving me milk! I don’t like to drink so much milk Suga hyung!” Mia complained and put her arms around Suga’s neck.

Hoseok walked in just then, laughing. “That brat knows she can get you on her side with one of her squishy  hugs.”

Suga sighed. “Yeah, she knows me too well…” Mia giggled and jumped down and hid behind the couch. “Hoseok oppa, I promise I will drink the milk before bed tonight!”

Hoseok got down on his knees and peered behind the couch, pretending to look for her. “Do you wanna be little forever Mia? If you don’t drink your milk, you’ll never grow and then you won’t be able to ride the roller coaster either.”

Mia scampered around the sofa and jumped up to sit on Suga’s lap. “Isn’t there something tastier to help me grow taller?”

“We could add flavor to your milk,” Suga suggested, ruffling her hair. “Would you like strawberry? Or chocolate? Maybe banana?”

Mia giggled again. “Could I have chocolate?”

Suga smiled. “Of course you can. I’ll bring Hoseok a bottle tomorrow. But only if you finish your milk today.”

Mia nodded enthusiastically and gulped down her milk within the next minute. Chuckling, Hoseok sat down next to Suga. “That’s the fastest she has ever drank milk.”

“Chocolate can be an excellent motivator,” Suga replied, grinning at Mia who was now running around the room pretending to be an airplane.

Hoseok sighed and leaned back on the sofa. “We have to go see mother tomorrow.”

“Jieun? Wasn’t that her name?” Suga asked.

Hoseok nodded. “Mia will be at after-school classes, would you be able to pick her up and bring her to mother? My boss needs me to cover an extra shift tomorrow, but mother really wants to see Mia and would be upset to miss an entire hour with her. I understand it might be too much so if you can’t…”

“It’s no trouble Hoseok,” Suga said, smiling. “I can do that. Just give me the address.”

……………………………………………………………………………….

Suga stood at the prison gates for the first time in his life. There was really no need for him to go there before today. An excited Mia was by his side, clutching his hand and hopping up and down.

“I am so excited to see mommy!” she squealed and squeezed Suga’s hand.

“I am sure you are,” Suga replied, squeezing her hand back.

Soon, they were let in and asked to sit at a small round table with three chairs around it. Mia was quite impatient, so Suga was glad when he finally saw a woman enter the room, flanked by two guards. Jieun looked a lot like Hoseok. She had the same dark hair and kind brown eyes. She jogged forward on seeing Mia who jumped up into her mother’s arms. Suga stood up wordlessly, letting the two enjoy their mother-daughter time.

“Mia,” Jieun breathed into her hair. “I missed you so much, my dear baby.”

“Mommy,” Mia whispered back, and then gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. Jieun squeezed her daughter and held her tight to her chest for a few more moments before putting her down. Her eyes then glance over to Suga.

“Mommy, this is Suga hyung! Hoseok hyung’s friend! He is my friend too and he brings me candy and chocolate for my milk!” Mia squealed happily.

“Hi Suga,” Jieun said warmly.

“Hi Mrs. Jung,” Suga replied.

“You can call me Jieun. And please sit.”

The three of them sat down and made themselves comfortable.

“What happened to Hoseok-ah?” Jieun asked as she held Mia’s hand.

“He had to be at an extra shift at work, his boss really needed him to be there,” Suga replied.

Jieun sighed. “My baby works so hard,” she said softly. “Suga, I hope Hoseok isn’t making himself sick…”

“He’s okay so far, Jieun,” Suga said. “And I promise you I will look out for him. And for Mia.”

Jieun smiled sadly. “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

“It’s really not a big deal. It’s the least a friend can do.”

Jieun smiled at Suga. “You’re a good friend, Suga. I am sorry you had to see me like this, here. I’m guessing you know how I got here, and maybe even how Hoseok feels about it. But if you can convince him, please tell him I love him. And that I never meant to hurt him or Mia…” Jieun’s voice held in as she tried to choke back tears.

“Jieun…” Suga leaned forward and placed his hand on her shoulder. “I am sure Hoseok knows you love him and Mia. He is just exhausted. And I guess that is why he is not able to communicate to you that he still cares deeply about you.”

Mia sniffled and cuddled up to Jieun. The three of them sat in silence for a while. It didn’t take a tired Mia long to doze off while snuggling with her mother. Jieun finally broke the silence, speaking low so she didn’t wake up Mia.

“I feel so bad that Mia is entirely Hoseok’s responsibility. He is so young himself… he had to drop out of college. I feel like such a failure of a mother… I wish… I wish there’s someone who could help the two of them… My babies aren’t weak but they are wasting away their youth because of their parents’ faults…”

“Jieun, I promise you I will try my best to help them as much as I can…” Suga said softly.

“I know Suga, but even then it is so much to ask of you. And Hoseok, I know he loves Mia whole-heartedly. But if he had even some little support…”

Jieun sighed. Suga felt there was more she wanted to say, so he decided to remain silent.

“I don’t know if this is a good idea, but when you’re in prison you have all the time in the world to think. And… this sounds unreasonable even as I say it…”

“You can tell me whatever Jieun, whatever may help Hoseok and Mia.”

“Thank you Suga…” Jieun wiped some tears off as she continued. “You know Mia is Hoseok’s half sister right?”

Suga nodded.

“Well, both Hoseok and Mia don’t know this, but…” Jieun stammered. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to continue. “Mia’s dad… whose death put me in jail… he actually had a kid before. With his first wife.”

Suga gasped. “Mia has another half-brother?”

“Yes,” Jieun breathed, “Minhyuk… that’s my ex-husband’s name. He… he was ashamed of his past and wanted his kids to know nothing about it. So we never told them about his first kid. Even I have never met him or Minhyuk’s first wife.”

Suga didn’t know what to say. Jieun continued, “And this may seem preposterous, but I thought… I thought if Mia’s other half-brother knew he had a sister all this while, he might… he might want to help her, you know? And… and maybe… maybe he could unite with Hoseok and Mia… they are kinda like family, you know.” She sighed. “It sounds absurd. But it’s worth a try. I don’t know… I just want my babies to not be so alone. Any connection to anyone… I think it may help them. But what do I know…I have no idea how Hoseok takes care of Mia and himself…” Jieun broke out in sobs. Suga felt extremely sorry for her.

“Jieun, I see where you’re coming from. But I don’t know if I can convince Hoseok to ask the other guy for help. His pride would come in the way. And how do we know the other kid would want to help anyway?”

Jieun nodded. “You’re right. Hoseok would probably dismiss the idea right away. That’s why I am telling you this. That just in case, God forbid, if Hoseok and Mia needed help, it would be an option to consider. And I have a strong feeling that a woman who left Minhyuk for the well-being of her son would raise a good son. Someone who’d be willing to help out his sister and step-brother.”

Suga sighed. It was a lot to take in, but he knew Jieun had a point. It was a back-up plan that Hoseok and Mia’s unsteady lives could need at any random time.

“Okay, Jieun,” Suga said, his voice low. “What is his name? Mia’s half-brother?”

“Jiyong,” Jieun breathed. “I know his mother was newly engaged to the vice-president of Maurice Pharmaceuticals. I think his name is Vincent Mulberry? I think that should help you reach him.”

Suga nodded. “Okay. I’ll keep that in mind. Hopefully Hoseok and Mia live happy lives and don’t need anyone’s help. And then when you’re out of prison, you could introduce them to their brother.”

Jieun heaved a sigh. “I hope so too, Suga. With all my heart. But you know what gives my dreary mind rest and happiness? That my babies have someone like you in their lives, someone with no blood bond, who is willing to be so selfless and caring.”

Suga smiled at Jieun, and then at the sleeping Mia. “I am happy I can be there for them. I come from a broken family myself… my parents separated because the pain of losing their little daughter was too much to keep them together. My sister disappeared when she was very young, and Mia reminds me of her. It may even be a bit selfish that I want to be with Mia and Hoseok… they make me feel like I am a part of a family. So Jieun, even if it is no blood bond, I am as much their family as any relative.”

Jieun didn’t say anything. She responded by pulling Suga into a bear hug.

“That makes us family too, doesn’t it?” she said, holding Suga and Mia close.

“Yes,” Suga replied, his voice overcome with emotion. “Thank you Jieun. Thank you.”