Chapter 20

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Today was the anniversary of his step-father’s death.

Hoseok never knew his biological father. He was only a few months old when his parents got into a car accident. His mother survived, but his father did not. His mother was still very young, and it took her years to forgive herself. She was the one driving, and they were both somewhat drunk after a party with their colleagues at their jobs. Hoseok’s mother wasn’t as drunk as his father, but she knew that wasn’t enough of a reason to drive. They were young and happy and reckless, and before they knew it, they were in a hospital, Hoseok’s mother Jieun a young widow at the age of just 21. After years of grieving, she met Minhyuk. He had many demons from his own past. They were both drawn to each other’s sorrow, and together they helped each other get over them. Minhyuk struggled with alcohol abuse, and Jieun made sure he went to Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, and they also went to therapy together. Hoseok couldn’t be happier to see his mother smile again, and have a determined man like Minhyuk to fill the gap his father had left behind. To add to his joy, when he was 13, Jieun became a mother again. Hoseok became an older brother when Mia was born, and he fell in love the second he saw his sister’s adorable face and heard her sweet giggles. He vowed that day to love her with all his heart and protect her from any harm.

However, his joy was short-lived. Minhyuk had a relapse from therapy, and in a matter of days he was back to drinking every minute of the day. Jieun was heartbroken, and to prevent the kids from seeing their father in such a bad condition, she sent them to live with her sister. Hoseok and Mia spent a few months at their aunt’s place, meeting Jieun and Minhyuk every weekend. The kids had no idea that their parents were fighting every day- Jieun beggin for a divorce, and Minhyuk refusing to leave her and the kids behind. He had already had a divorce before from his first wife due to his alcohol problems, and had been forced to leave her and his first son. He wasn’t ready to leave his second family behind as well. He begged Jieun, I was a horrible father and husband then, I hurt them so much. Please give me a chance this time, I am different now. Jieun wanted to give him a chance. But she knew, he was too far gone. He needed serious help, and his drinking habits were not a good environment for Hoseok and Mia to grow up in. The fighting grew worse and worse, and love slowly poisoned into hate. It was one fated evening a year ago…

“Jieun, I can’t let you take my kids away from me!”

“They are my kids too! And you can’t take care of yourself, forget about taking care of them! How can I leave them with you?”

“I can change for them…for Mia. Let me be with my girl, I love her so much!”

Jieun closed her eyes. Her patience was wearing thin…

“Didn’t you say the same thing to your first child?” she whispered.

Minhyuk’s face darkened. “That was a different time, and I was a different person…”

“Oh really? Then why are we having the same conversation today as you did with your first wife 7 years ago?”

“Jieun…” Minhyuk’s voice shook with anger.

Jieun was no less furious. “There’s no one I love more than my children…no one. Minhyuk, you are welcome into their lives once you get your own life on track. Until then…stay away.”

Jieun wasn’t ready for what came next. Minhyuk pushed past her, and he shoved her so hard, she slipped and crashed against the dresser. Her forehead split open as it cracked against the side of the desk, and blood ran down her nose and into her eyes. Her vision swam and she clutched her head, trying not to pass out or puke. She heard Mia’s wail in the distance…

Stumbling, she staggered towards the sound. She saw a drunk and angry Minhyuk holding Mia in his arms, and rushing down the stairs, his steps faltering.

“You’re going to fall, you’re going to hurt Mia!” Jieun cried out, but she wasn’t sure she made sense in her dizzy state. Minhyuk was also too drunk and pissed to listen to her. His feet slipped as he ran down the stairs, a crying Mia in his arms. Jieun dashed towards the two of them, just as Minhyuk tripped. Jieun screamed, and Mia’s crying grew even louder. Minhyuk stumbled down the stairs, his grip on Mia loosening. Jieun scampered down the stairs to hold Mia, her arms curling around her to protect her from the fall.

Minhyuk ended up crumpled at the bottom of the stairs. Jieun’s anger knew no bounds. Holding Mia tight to her chest, she began to back away. Minhyuk slowly got up and began to walk towards her.

“Give Mia to me.” He whispered.

“After you almost killed her? I think not.” Jieun’s voice trembled.

“Jieun, don’t make me do something wrong…”

“Minhyuk, you’ve already done it. I don’t know if that fall did something to our memory, but you almost killed my child.”

“She’s not just your child!”

“Now she is!” Jieun cried out.

Minhyuk lost his temper and reached forward. He tore Jieun’s shirt because of how hard he pulled her, and began to drag Mia away from her. Jieun screamed, her head pounding with pain as the wound refused to stop bleeding. Mia’s shrieks filled the air. And this is when Jieun’s sanity cracked. She shoved Minhyuk back, dropping Mia to her feet and behind herself.

“How dare you even ing try to hurt my child? Look at you! You drunk bastard, you aren’t meant to have kids! Not your first son, and certainly not Mia!”

And with that, Jieun picked up the vase next to her and smashed it on Minhyuk’s head. He held his head as his body crashed to the floor. And then he was silent. Jieun’s eyes widened at the pool of blood around Minhyuk’s head. Her own bleeding along with the shock of everything that had happened so far finally overcame her. She crumpled to the ground, unconscious. Mia’s sobs filled the now quiet house, and she hobbled over to the phone and called her older brother.

“Hoseok oppa…” she sobbed, “Come home.”

Only one more sound existed in the house at that time. But Mia didn’t hear it. No one did. It was Minhyuk whispering his last words- his children’s names.

“Jiyong… Mia…” And then it was all quiet.