Chapter 2

Iridescent: Meeting on the crossroads

Jimin pushed through pouring rain and a large crowd of teenage girls on his way to work. He wondered why so many of them were there at the same time. Maybe a huge sale? He jogged into the cafe and quickly put on his apron and cap. This was just in time, because his boss James had turned the corner and was now marching towards him.

"Good thing you're here. Some famous dancer dude is going to be promoting his tour at the mall today, and I am hoping we can do good business. Stock on the syrups and ice," James grinned at the growing crowd of giggling girls outside, "we'll need to make a lot of sugary, frozen stuff today."

Jimin nodded. He was about to get to work when a customer came up to the counter.

"How can I help you?" Jimin asked, his gaze meeting a pair of intense, black eyes.

"I'll have two blacks please, two creamers for the first one. No sugar."

Jimin jotted down the order. "And the name for the order?"

"Jungkook."

Jimin nodded and started on the drinks, but for some reason he kept looking at the table Jungkook had walked to. There was one other guy at the table but Jimin couldn't see him. However, he looked familiar. Very familiar...And for some reason Jimin felt that he didn't want to remember who he was. The guy didn't turn around, but Jungkook did, and he caught Jimin looking his way. Embarrassed, Jimin turned away. But he couldn't stop thinking about why the other guy seemed so familiar. Maybe his mind was just playing tricks on him...?

...............................................................................................................................................

Four hours later

Jimin never wanted to see any sort of frappe or smoothie or milkshake in his life again. He had lost count of how many he had prepared that afternoon, and he almost cried of happiness when the gates for the performance opened. The girls had rushed to get good seats, and Jimin could finally take a break. He stretched his arms over his head and yawned loudly, but his attention was brought back to the counter- he saw someone there from the corner of his eye.

Dammit, he thought, as he dragged his feet to the counter.

Slapping on a fake smile and a fake happy voice, Jimin asked the young man, "What can I get for you today?"

"I'll have a strawberry lemonade please."

Jimin sighed. At least it wasn't a smoothie.

"And the name for the order?"

"Kai."

Jimin scrawled the name on the cup and then looked up at the customer for payment. 

His eyes met an extremely well-sculpted, unblemished face, a brilliant smile, and warm, brown eyes. Kai held out a credit card. 

"Do you take cards?" he asked quietly, his sympathetic eyes taking in Jimin's tired face and stained apron.

Jimin nodded. He swiped the card and handed it back to Kai.

"Are you here to see the dancer too?" Jimin asked, as he began to prepare the lemonade for Kai, who looked very amused.

Jimin raised his left eyebrow questioningly.

Kai smiled. "I am the dancer."

.......................................................................................................

After Kai left, the business was quiet. Jimin didn't feel too tired by the time he was packing up to leave for the day. He pulled on his hoodie and threw his backpack over his shoulder. He didn't realize that his coworker Jackie was right behind him and he ended up slamming his bag on her face. She punched him in the shoulder and he staggered forward, laughing.

"Damn Jackie, why were you standing so close?" Jimin asked as he handed her a bottle of chilled water.

Jackie scowled and put the bottle against her throbbing nose.

"You see, since I'm in one-sided love with you, all I can do is stare. It can get creepy, I get it, but assault? Wow Jimin."

Jimin laughed. Jackie was crazy and sarcastic and extremely lovable. He rubbed her shoulders and rested his chin on her head. She was super tiny too. That's why it was even more funny when she lost her temper- something that happened quite a lot.

"I'm sorry," Jimin said, "It's been a long day and I was in a hurry to get away so I wasn't paying attention..." His voice trailed away as the bell over the door rang and two new customers came in.

"You already moved on from the other girl, huh? Guess our pep talk worked!" Chuckling, Suga gave Jimin a high five. He nodded at Jackie who just tilted her head to the side and said, "If you're done making up stuff, may I take your order?"

Suga laughed even louder. Kyungsoo came to the front of the order station and smirked at Jackie.

"In a good mood as usual, I see."

Jackie sighed and turned back to Suga. "Can I help you?"

Suga leaned forward, his elbows on the counter. His eyes sparkled merrily at Jackie's stormy ones.

"I'll take an americano. No room."

Jackie nodded and went to the back to prepare the drink. Jimin looked from Suga to Kyungsoo.

"You guys remembered," he said softly, shuffling his feet.

"Of course we remembered," Kyungsoo replied and put his arm around Jimin's shoulders. "You had what, like ten of our beers? Definitely in friend category."

"Ten?!" Jimin sputtered, but Suga shook his head, grinning.

"It's cool man, you hardly drank anything. You were too busy self-pitying. But yeah, we did talk a whole lot, and we remembered you said you worked here, so we thought we'd check up on you."

Jimin ran his hand through his hair. "That's really nice of you..."

Kyungsoo piped in, waving his hand in front of him. "No emotions please, they make me uncomfortable." He grinned at Jimin, before continuing, "Have you had dinner yet? Let's get something to eat. Hyung's treat."

Suga chuckled and lightly kicked Kyungsoo's ankle. "Hyung's treeeeeeeeeat," he repeated in a chipmunk voice, while Kyungsoo just ignored his teasing as he helped Jimin pack some textbooks. Suga walked over to his now ready americano, and tried to catch Jackie's eye but she was aggressively cleaning smoothie glasses.

"Thank you!" Suga said loudly, but Jackie didn't look up. She pushed her messy hair strands behind her ear and continued washing the dishes, pointedly ignoring the three boys.

"See you later," Kyungsoo said, before sauntering out the restaurant.

"Yeah, see ya Jackie!" Jimin called out, before turning to Kyungsoo. "How do you know her?"

"Patience dongsaeng, I'll tell you over dinner."

Suga just grinned at Jackie before following the two boys into the night.