Day 1 of 3

3 Signs : You have a bad life.

3 signs you have a bad life

 Chapter 9 – Day 1 of day 3.

---

 

 

It was a grey, slow morning and its time to wake up for school. According to spirit, today will be the start of my 3 dark days and it’s already dark outside.

“Why is so dark outside when it’s 7 in the morning?” I drew the curtain and open the window for some fresh air but it was so cold with the strong wind blowing, I closed it back.

“I don’t think it will be a good day.” I drew back my curtain and made my way to the toilet and found out Joohyuk’s door is open.

Has he left for school? I looked over at the living room and he’s lying on the sofa while watching the television.

“Oh, good morning!” He greeted when he saw me peeking from the wall.

“I’m watching re-run of your favorite show.” He points to the television and laughed out loud.

“Okay…” I went back to the toilet and get ready for school.

 

25 minutes later, just when I’ve finished brushing my teeth, Joohyuk knocked on the door.

“Are you done? I want to brush my teeth!” He said, sounding as if he was rushing.

I opened the door, “Aren’t you going to wash up?”

He smiles and grabs his toothbrush, “I did an hour ago.”

He looked at me holding onto my toothbrush too and put toothpaste on it without saying anything.

“I’m done.” I said, wanting to wash the toothpaste away but he blocked the tap and ask me to brush my teeth again.

“It’ll be a waste if you throw that toothpaste.” He smiled as he continues to brush.

“Who asked you to put it on mine then?” I rolled eyes on him and stood next to him as we brush our teeth. What is this feeling? It feels like I’m back to elementary school where we brushed our teeth together after recess.

“Ouch!” Joohyuk moaned in pain and stopped brushing his teeth. He opened his mouth and there was blood. His gum was bleeding.

“Who asked you to brush so hard?” I laughed but he gave me his death stare.

“Aish, I hate blood so much.” He gargle his mouth and did the last check before putting down his toothbrush.

“How refreshing!” He said afterwards and washes his face before he leaves the bathroom.

“Soomin.” He called my name again and showed just his face at the entrance of the bathroom while his body is behind the wall.

“I made mango milkshake with mango and low fat milk. I’ve already poured it into your bottle so bring it with you.” He winked and closes his door room.

“What’s wrong with him today? Waking up early, showered early and even making mango milkshake for me?”

 

After all that chaos, we went to school separately as he went to wait for Jisoo at the bus stop near the school and I went straight in.

Right when I reached class, the first thing that caught the girls’ attention was the bottle that I was holding.

“Wow, Soomin is carrying a bottle, you guys!” Eunna made it such a big deal since I always told them how nuisance carrying a bottle around was.

“What drink did you bring? Why is it sweating? Is it ice water?” Eunna grabbed my bottle and I sat down.

“Guys, please don’t act like this is the first time you’ve seen a water bottle.” I said and then Joohyuk and Jisoo enter the class.

From afar, Jisoo waved while the girls back was facing him and when no one was paying attention to them. I gave him a smile and he responded with pointing to the girls who were surrounding my table just because of a bottle.

“Hey, we’re finally having P.E today after a long time being cooped up in this classroom!” Sehun shouted as the guys behind him did a cheer.

“Oh, did you bring a bottle because we‘re having P.E today?” Haru said as she laughed.

“It’s just a bottle, why are you guys so interested in it?” I shook my head and put my bottle aside, so that they could stop asking me the same thing.

 

 

 The day went on fine until it was time for our last lesson for the day, P.E lesson. It was raining cats and dogs outside and I am pretty sure P.E will be held indoors.

“Report to indoor sports hall in 10 minutes.” Sehun, the P.E rep, reminded and the class went from quiet to chaos in a matter of second.

I took the chance to check the paper from spirit to see whether there’s anything written on the paper. It was still clean and empty like a piece of clean white paper.

“Soomin, what are you doing? Let’s go.” Hana packed my bag and we walked together to the sports hall.

“Are you okay?” Hana asked, linking my arms with hers.

“I’m fine. Why?” I asked her back.

“You look so out of it from this morning. Was it because you drank that milkshake early in the morning? Or are you having stomachache?” Hana bombard me with questions.

“I’m not having stomachache. I’m fine.” I smiled and we enter the sports hall when we were greeted by a basketball that stopped right in front of me.

“Soomin, pass it here!” Kai, who reached earlier with the rest of the boys, shouted jumping up and down asking for the ball back.

I picked it up and throw it with my full strength to pass it to Kai but the ball went to Joohyuk who wasn’t paying attention. He was laughing away with Jisoo when it hit his head.

“I think you passed it to the wrong person, girl.” Hana went wide eyed when Joohyuk yelled in pain.

“ARGHH!” Joohyuk rubbed his head and turned around when our eyes meet and he stopped hissing.

“, I think I aimed it at the wrong person.” I mumbled and Joohyuk was still glaring at me.

“That’s what I said.” Hana said and we slowly made our way to put down our bags.

---

 

“Stop laughing will you?” I smacked Jisoo on his head when he couldn’t stop laughing at me when the ball hit my head.

“Damn, she wanted to aim it at Kai but it went to you!” Jisoo laughed again and this time, I kicked his leg.

“Stop laughing before I make you.” I warned and he immediately shut his mouth.

“Sorry, it’s just so funny! I saw the ball coming but I couldn’t say anything to you.” He giggled and took the ball from Chanyeol and did a goal in.

“Wow that feels nice.” He clapped his hand as if he accomplished a huge thing and Mr. Han, our P.E teacher, blew his whistle as the whole class gathered around.

“Today we’re going to have a test for speed and strength. I’ve noticed that the girls have been lacking in terms of speed and strength while the guys are lacking in terms of strength. As your wonderful P.E teacher, I want to make you guys practice running and lifting weight. But of course, I am not asking our petite fragile ladies to carry weight today though.” He laughed but we weren’t impressed. Instead, the girls sighed and complained that they rather play volleyball or badminton.

“I want to partner up all of you and since we have evens in this class, it will be easier to partner you up. Stand in a straight line and when I point to you, both of you will be partners.” He said and we did what he ordered.

“I like how Joohyuk and Haru looks like together so, both of you pair up.” Mr. Han points at me and ask me to go to Haru. The whole class woos and it was noisy. I dragged my ‘couldn’t-be-bothered-’ over to Haru who was smiling at me. I then realized Soomin was standing beside Haru.

Soomin slowly stepped away, closer to Hana. Damn, why did he choose Haru?

“Jisoo, you’ll partner up with Soomin.” Mr. Han said and Jisoo happily skipped over to Soomin as he did a high five to her. Jisoo spread his leg to match Soomin’s height and it was damn uncomfortable to look at. This face, what does he think he’s doing.

After all this unnecessary partnering up Mr. Han made, he asked the girls to stand in front of the boys and run as quickly as they can to the other side.

While Soomin was running, Jisoo cheered her name so loudly and apparently I think it worked since she was the first to arrive.

“Gentlemen, ready get set go!” Mr. Han blew his whistle and I was staring at Jisoo the whole time while he teased me and it made me start later than everyone.

Jisoo was the first to arrive and again both of them high fived each other. I panted hard and tried to catch my breath when Haru tapped my shoulder.

“It’s your turn, get ready.” She said softly and I got my position ready.

Jisoo who was at the other end of the line, did a little wink and jumped forward before Mr. Han blew his whistle. Of course being the competitive me, I began to ran when I saw Jisoo jumped forward but stopped when I realized no one was running.

“Joohyuk, I haven’t blown my whistle yet.” Mr. Han said and I turned around to look at Jisoo who was laughing his heart out.

I send him my ‘just-you-wait’ signal to him but all he responded was sticking out his tongue. Before I could get ready, Mr. Han already blew the whistle and again I started later than the others.

 

“Next, do you see those balls over there?” Mr. Han pointed to the balls that’s on the floor and asked us to go over to it.

“Pass the balls at your partner with your full strength until I say stop.” He blew the whistle and then a ball hit my face.

“Joohyuk, pay attention will you?” Mr. Han warned and I ran behind to take the ball that Haru threw. She could’ve warned me first or something.

“Soomin, catch it alright?” I heard Jisoo said it when I ran back to my position. He threw softly and Soomin did a little jump to catch it. Damn, if only I’m in Jisoo’s position.

“Joohyuk.” Haru called and I threw it at her but she missed.

I raised my hand and Mr. Han came over to me, while Haru was still catching the ball she missed.

“She couldn’t even catch an easy ball.” I complained.

“When I say full strength, it doesn’t mean that you have to throw it full strength. Can’t you be a gentleman and threw it softly to her? Look at Jisoo.” He point towards Jisoo who was smiling away with Soomin.

“Joohyuk!” Haru yelled and the moment I face in front, a ball hit me right on my face.

---

 

Class ended and it was fun, so much for testing our strength and speed. It felt like a warm-up for me.

“See you girls tomorrow!” The girls and I parted ways and I made my way alone down the street. Thankfully the rain stopped.

“Soomin!” I heard someone called my name from afar and I turned behind. Joohyuk was running down the slope and stopped right before me.

I giggled when I saw his face while he was trying to catch his breath.

“Why are you laughing?” He asked and I continue to walk, controlling myself to not laugh anymore.

He catches up with me and said, “What’s wrong with your friend Haru? Does she not know how to pass ball at a person?” He complained.

“She hit my face!” He grumbled and I take a slight peek at his face.

“Your face has become darker a bit.” I told him and he felt his face.

“It’s all because of your friend.” He moans in pain, touching his nose.

“I think your nose is bruised.” I touched my nose and did a little pout, looking at how red his cheeks and blue-black his nose are.

“Oh my god.” He grumbles and looks at his reflection on his face.

“Hey, let’s eat meat. I want to eat meat.” He changed the topic suddenly and I shook my head.

“You go. I want to go home.” I answered straight.

“Shall I ask Jisoo over as well?” He sounded so sarcastic.

“Why invite him?” I looked at him and he raised his eyebrow.

“Well, you look really happy whenever his around. And maybe if he’s here, you’ll want to eat with me.” He said, sounding like a little child.

“Can’t I even be happy?” I rolled my eyes and enter the apartment building.

“Soomin, let’s eat meat for dinner. The meat you grilled is so delicious.” He continues and the lift door open when the neighbor aka hot neighbor, walked out from the lift.

“Oh hey, little sister.” He waved at him and stopped right in front of me.

“Just came back from school?” He asked and I nod.

“Oops, I forgot your brother is with you.” He giggled and Joohyuk was crossing his arms.

“I’m on my way to meet my students.” Mino said out of the blue and Joohyuk interrupt.

“You should go then. You wouldn’t want your student to wait for you.” Joohyuk said and Mino nodded, agrees with what he said.

“See you when I see you, little sister. Don’t forget that I am still waiting for that phone call.” He did a call sign with his finger and winked.

I smiled, sending him away and enter the lift.

“Why are you smiling?” Joohyuk asked, checking his face on the reflective inner wall of the lift.

“Because he’s funny.” I answered and Joohyuk hissed while touching his nose.

“Nope, he’s not.” He said and left the lift as soon as it opens.

 

I closed the door soon after I enter the apartment and it felt like heaven. Day 1 of day 3 is finally over and nothing bad happened. It’s just that the weather was dark and rainy but overall, I am thankful nothing bad happened.

“SOOMIN!” I heard Joohyuk shouting on top of his voice.

“Help me!” He shouted again asking for help.

“What do you want?” I went to the toilet where he was and his nose was bleeding.

“My nose is bleeding.” He looked like he’s in deep pain.

“You’re fine. It’s just blood.” I said, opening the tap for him.

“Just blood you say? It suddenly bleeds when I want to wash my face.” He hissed in pain and I push his head down to the sink.

“Wash your nose then.” I said and grab as much tissue as possible.

“I’m going to sue your best friend that’s for sure.” He complained again even though he was washing his nose under the cold water.

“Stop being petty, old man. It’s not like you’re going to die or something.” I said and shove the tissue on his nose.

He wiped his nose and grab the bridge of his nose as he look in the mirror.

“It’s all bruised up. Damn, did your friend know that I’m a model?” He grumbles again.

I slapped the back of his head and left the toilet.

“What meat do you want for dinner?” I asked and he answered beef.

---

 

I left my room after I dressed up, ready to eat dinner before bed. I dry my hair up with the towel on my head as I head to the kitchen where Soomin was grilling the meat.

“It’s been a while since we went groceries shopping, where did these meats come from though?” I asked, checking out the amount of meat that was on the counter.

“Did you forget Jisoo came yesterday and gave the whole bag of groceries?” She answered and cut the cooked meat on the plate.

“I must be very lucky having a friend like Jisoo then.” I put down my towel and grab the scissors from her.

“He’s a good guy.” She said suddenly, washing the lettuce under the tap.

“What did both of you did yesterday when I’m not around?” I asked her, flipping the beef over to cook the other side.

“We talked.” She answered short but it wasn’t enough.

“I am a fool if I accept that as your answer. What did you talk about?” I asked more detailed this time.

“He asked a lot of question about me.” She answered and drains the water from the lettuce.

“What did he ask?” I question again but this time she just smiles.

“He told me not to tell you.” She said and began to set the table.

“Since when did both of you get close?” I put the remaining raw beef on the grill, still waiting for her answer.

“Since yesterday, he’s an easy person to get close with.” She said and pours the orange juice on each cup.

“Am I not easy to get along with?” I asked, putting the meat on the dinner table.

She shrugged her shoulder and sat down.

“I’m hungry. Quick and cut the meat up.” She gave me a slight smile and I turn off the stove as soon as the meat has cooked through and cut it up.

Minutes before we began to eat our dinner, Soomin’s phone vibrates and she told me to keep quiet.

“It’s from Hana.” She said and slides the phone to answer.

“Hey.” She said, feeding herself 2 piece of meat with a whole lot of chili paste.

“What?” Her eyes and mouth were wide open and slowly turn around, looking at me with her huge eyes.

“I will. See you tomorrow.” She put down her phone and chugged down the orange juice.

“What happened?” I asked and she gulped.

---

 

Dinner was delicious and definitely very fulfilling. She answered the call from Hana and responded with her shocked face but still won’t tell me what’s wrong.

We decide to clean up after we ate and I wash the dishes while she kept all the leftovers in the fridge.

“Your milkshake was delicious.” She said, closing the door of the fridge.

My heart skipped a beat when she say that all of sudden.

“Really? Thank you.” I said full of sincerity.

“Mum always made us milkshake before we leave for school back then.” I told her but then I realized I said we and us.

“Us?” She questioned and I turn off the tap after finish washing off the dishes.

“Me and my brother.” I said, walking to the living room and she followed behind.

“I had a younger twin but he passed away 7 months ago.” I told her my secret that I buried deep in me. I wasn’t ready to tell anyone about Joohyun except to Jisoo.

“The picture that I put in the frame on my table is Joohyun.” I told her and she was listening to me with her eyes opened wide.

“I wasn’t ready to tell anyone about Joohyun but I suddenly said us just now.” I let out a short laugh and she nod.

“You don’t have to go on if you don’t want. I understand.” She said and turns on the television.

“But I want to share my stories with you. It’s weird hearing me say that isn’t it?” I said and she bit her lower lips, but shook her head afterwards.

“It’s not weird. I can listen to your stories if you want to.” She replied and that sentence that came out from her touched me.

“If you want to know how Joohyun is, he’s exactly like Jisoo, always love to prank and tease me.” I said, remembering our memories together.

“He is the opposite of me though. His favorite drink was grape soda and I hated that drink so bad. He once forced me to drink it and it made vomit.” I laughed but it hurts deep inside.

“I have been dreaming about him these few days and it feels like sometimes he’s here with me.” I said, focusing my attention at the television but I wasn’t really watching what it shows.

“Have you visited him?” She asked and she’s right, I haven’t visited him in these 7 months.

“Maybe you should go and visit him when you have time.” She advised and I nod.

“Thank you for listening to me.” I said and she responded with a smile.

“I’m going back to my parent’s house for the next 4 days.” She said, leaning her back to the sofa.

“What? Why?” I asked shocked at what she said.

“Hana’s house is under renovation and her parents are going overseas for the next 4 days. She has no relative here so there’s nowhere she could go except for my house.” She explained.

“Then how did she live all these while if her house is under renovation?” I asked, curious.

“They stayed in the hotel. Her parent doesn’t allow her to stay there by herself so that’s why she asked me for help.” She explained again, in detailed this time.

“So the only time I’ll see you will be at school then.”

Why now of all times when she finally opens up to me? What if when she comes back and returned to her old self where she doesn’t even want to sit down and talk to me?

---

 

“What are you thinking about?” Senior Kim appeared in my room while I was sitting on the windowsill.

“Hey.” I stepped down and he jumped on my bed.

“Are you worried about your human?” He asked and I shook my head.

“Not really worried because I know she’ll do well but I’m not feeling too good right now.” I answered, letting him know.

“Can I ask you a question?” I asked him and sat back down on the windowsill.

There’s one thing that have been bothering me and I just couldn’t solve it.

“Spill it, newbie.” He said and I gathered my courage to ask him.

“Why do I feel like I am connected to Soomin more than I thought I would be? When I guide my first human, he doesn’t worry me like Soomin does. I always think of her and it feels like something is trying to tell me something.” I told him.

“Something is trying to tell you something?” He questioned, sitting back up.

“I have not been feeling good this few days.” I told him and face Senior Kim.

“What are the consequences I’ll face if I know about my past, Senior Kim?” I asked him a question that no guardians are able to answer.

“Do you want to know about your past? Most of the times, knowing our past when we’ve totally forgot about it, hurts.” He reminds and stood up.

“But if you really want to know, you won’t be a guardian anymore. Are you ready for that?” He asked and I knew I wasn’t ready to stop being a guardian. I want to keep helping people but I too want to know about my past.

“Can I talk to Soomin, Senior Kim?” I asked him and he shrugged his shoulder.

“You know where the room is so just go.” He said and disappeared.

---

 

“Mum, I’m going back for the next 4 days with Hana since she has nowhere to stay so please be normal and don’t ask me about anything weird.” I phoned my mum and she answered with her usual shocked voice.

Can’t she go to your other friends’ house?” She asked.

“She would if she could but no one could help her so I’ll come tomorrow after school.” I said and we hung up the call when she finally allows Hana to stay.

“Spirit, I had a good day today. Nothing bad happened.” I talked to myself even though I knew spirit wasn’t here and couldn’t come.

“I know.” I heard a familiar voice and it was the spirit’s.

“Hey, you’re here.” I sat up and hugged my pillow.

“Will anything happen to me tomorrow or the day after tomorrow?” I asked him but he stayed silent for a while.

“Didn’t you look at the paper I gave?” He asked and I nod.

“I did but nothing came out.” I answered.

“Then, that’s a good thing.” He replied short and sweet.

“Are you okay? Are you still in pain?” I asked him out of concern.

“Soomin, should I continue being a guardian or should I know about my past and move on?” He asked a serious question which made me think for a while.

“What’s the best for you?” I asked him back.

“I like being a guardian but why do I feel the need to know about my past? I have been feeling something weird these past few days.” He said with a short sigh at the end.

“Do you need my help to find out about your past?” I offered but he stayed silent.

“Spirit?”

“I’ll see you after these 3 days when I’m allowed back on earth. Don’t forget to keep checking the paper.” He said and the room went back to being silent.

“I should have asked him how long he has been a guardian. Damn it!” I punched my teddy bear, mad at myself who couldn’t think fast.

---

 

 

“Ya, look at this picture.” I show Joohyun the picture I took while we had our trip to the industry that morning.

“That’s a nice picture. Did you snap it?” He asked, totally admiring the scene that I took.

“The sunset was amazing.” I bragged to him and showed him multiple pictures that I snapped.

“Who is this?” He zoomed in the picture and examined it thoroughly.

“She looks familiar.” He said and showed it to me, asking who that girl that was in my shot.

“Oh, I didn’t realize she’s in my shot.” I laughed and told Joohyun her name is Soomin.

“Soomin?” Joohyun looked up with his eyes widened.

“Yeah, she’s the girl I always talked to you about.” I grabbed my phone back and he gulped.

“She’s pretty.” He said suddenly with his expression changes.

“You’re okay?” I asked and he did a little smile.

“I’m fine. I’m just a little sleepy. I have an event at the old folk home tomorrow. I told you about my volunteering service project right?” He stood up and turned off the light.

“Have a good night.” He said and closes the door.

---