Diet day 1: Failed.

3 Signs : You have a bad life.

3 signs you have a bad life

Chapter 19 – Diet day 1: Failed.

---

 

On this dark, stormy and windy night, I flipped through a folder on my laptop to look at the picture content from our wedding 4 months ago. Where has time past to that it has been 4 months since I’ve been living with Joohyuk?

Among all the photos that were taken, I have a favorite one even though it was a sudden wedding planned. The photo is a candid shot of me and Joohyuk talking to each other over lunch. I could still remember what the conversation is about.

 

“Who would have thought you to wear jeans and hoodie on during your wedding?” Joohyuk started off while we were casually munching on the catered food.

“You’re wearing jeans and hoodie as well, mister.” I replied and slurp in the glass noodle.

 

“Soomin, can I come in?” I heard a knock and obviously it’s Joohyuk, who else could it be.

With a speed of lightning, I close my laptop and said yes before he turn the doorknob and enter.

“What were you doing?” He asked as he enters my room with his tub of ice-cream.

“Umm, I was just revising the notes for tomorrow lesson.” I replied, trying not to make anything obvious.

“But I don’t see any notes on the table.” He caught me and a smile formed on his face afterwards.

“It’s not physically a note if it’s in my laptop.” I answered and grabbed my school bag on the floor.

“Oh right, I have something to tell you.” He said and I turned my body around to focus on him.

“I am starting a diet tomorrow and I appreciate it if you could help me.” He told me and I chocked on my saliva.

“Why in the world are you going on a diet? You look skinny already.” I asked, wondering why.

“Well, not really dieting to look more skinnier but dieting as in trying to control my portion of foods and making sure what’s going in my mouth is healthy.” He explained clearly but I could only respond with my eyebrow furrowed.

“So that’s why you’re digging the ice-cream right now because you can’t have it tomorrow?” I asked and he nods his head as he feed himself another spoonful of ice-cream.

“Well, I guess there’s nothing challenging about you going on a diet since the everyday food we eat are healthy, except for the ice-cream.” I respond with a smile on my face.

“I’m trying to get back up into my hardcore training as well, will you join me?” He question and for real though, my jaw dropped down the floor.

“You want me to join you in your hardcore training, bro? No thanks, it’s hard for me to even pass the running test in school what more a hardcore training.” I laughed and he scrapped the tub for the last of the ice-cream.

“You can be my manager then.” He added.

“Is this all because of your model thing?” I asked and he nods his head.

“You’re fast at catching things, aren’t you?” He chuckled.

“Well, what else will you do this for?” I shook my head and pull out one of many notes inside my bag.

“I can help you but make sure you have to pass every of your test. How’s that sound?” I challenged him.

“Sounds like a good deal.”

 

Monday morning came and we promised each other to wake up 2 hours early from the time we’re usually awake to go out for a jog. It must be a dream that me, the slowest girl in class, is going out for a morning jog with one of the fastest guy in class.

“You got everything ready?” Joohyuk asked while stretching his body side to side.

“And by everything you mean just our phones right?” I asked and he replied with a laugh, agreeing with what I said.

“You don’t need watch to time yourself nowadays, phone has everything.” He commented and we walked in the elevator in our training suits and began to slowly jog to the nearest park which is a block away from our neighborhood.

 

First thing before we start of first jog together, we had a light walk before to warm up our body and as we walk, we made sure to breathe in as deep as possible. After that, I got ready my phone, with Joohyuk’s phone kept in my pocket, and turn on the stopwatch.

“You don’t have to run fast but if you could, that’s a good thing. I’ll need you to read my timing every time I pass each point and record it down, is that okay?” Joohyuk said seconds before he went off to run.

“That’s an easy task. Go now then.” I said and he slowly starts his first round before disappearing into the thin air.

Being me the slower one, I couldn’t keep up but I got to try to have a light jog too.

 

“2 more rounds and you’re done!” I shouted when Joohyuk run past me with his steady pace.

“How can he run continuously like that?” I shook my head in disbelief and continue my light walk instead.

 

After 5 rounds and when it’s already 7.30 in the morning, we finished our, or more to Joohyuk’s, training as we head back to our apartment to clean our sweaty body before going to school.

“That was easy.” Joohyuk said as if he was proud of himself while I was struggling to even reply him.

“Was it tiring?” He asked and looked at me with his smile that looks like he’s going to laugh any minute.

“No but I definitely can’t run 5 rounds continuously.” I said, trying to control my breathing.

 

Joohyuk keyed in the password on the door and open the door as we immediately rush in to the bathroom.

“Which one of us takes longer to shower?” I asked the obvious question which earns a raised of his one eyebrow.

“Are you really asking that question?” He chuckled, “Go ahead first, I’ll make smoothie for us.”

---

 

I stand in front of the nearly empty fridge as I take out the remaining ingredients in it which are mixed berries, handful of spinach and skimmed milk, definitely enough for me to make 2 smoothies.

Afterward, I bring my smoothie in to the living room and turn on the early morning drama being shown in the television while waiting for Soomin to finish her long shower. Soon then I realize my phone wasn’t with me, it was with Soomin who is in the toilet.

“Damn, I should have asked her my phone earlier.” I sipped the last of my smoothie and stand up to go to my room but Soomin turn the handle of the door and stepped out the bathroom with her towel on her hair.

“You take shorter than I expected.” I said and she replied with a smile as she walked into her room.

“Damn, I remember that night in Jeju when I went up to her room and she had her hair down wet,”

 

It took me no longer than 5 minutes for me to take a quick shower and stepped out of the bathroom. Then, Soomin was already in the living room sipping the smoothie I made for her.

We got ready in a few minutes after and got out of the house once it hits 8 in the morning. As usual, we take the elevator down and walked to my motorbike.

“Don’t forget your promise since I’ve helped you.” I said and he nods his head.

“Oh,” She puts her hand in her pocket and slides out my phone.

“I forgot to give this to you, here.”

“Thanks but I don’t mind if you want to keep it with you.” I winked and put on my helmet so does her.

 

The ride down to school doesn’t take more than 10 minute but also thankfully there’s no traffic to start with. I stopped my bike and parked it before we walked to class.

As usual, I walk to class 5 minutes after Soomin walk first to avoid being suspicious and before I could leave the car park and take the elevator up to level 3, someone called my name.

“You’re early today.” It was Haru.

I wondered why she was in the car park when usually she will enter using the main gate.

“I came like usual.” I answered and press the elevator button up.

“Have you done the homework given by Mrs. Lee last Friday? I heard many didn’t do the work.” She asked while waiting for the lift.

“Oh, that.” I paused and lied, “I did.”

 

During the elevator ride up to level 3, she kept herself quiet but stood very near to me which was definitely very uncomfortable. I also did not forget to pray that the elevator will reach level 3 as fast as it could. Right when the door opens, I rushed out as if I was suffocating in it. I walked as fast as I could but she managed to catch up on my and walked beside me.

When we reached the class, everyone became silent at our presence and couldn’t miss out the cheer every time they see a boy and a girl entering the class together at the same time.

“You go girl!” I heard Eunna voice in the background but I couldn’t be bothered and quickly walk to my seat beside Jisoo.

“Wow, did you came to school with her instead of the other her?” Jisoo questioned, curious.

“Obviously I went with the other her, not her.” I emphasize the other her who is Soomin.

“Right, why would you go to school with her,” He laughed and slides a worksheet on my table.

“I didn’t do question 3-10 because I am lazy and I have no motivation in life. What’s your answer?” He asked and I bit my lips before responding anything.

“Can I guess that you didn’t do your homework due this morning?” He asked as if he could read through my mind.

“I definitely didn’t do anything,” I quickly take out my worksheet and copy down Jisoo’s answer but changing bit here and there. 

“So, did it work?” Jisoo asked while I was copying.

“What did work?” I questioned back.

“That Soomin being your workout manager or timekeeper should I say?” He asked and I stopped what I’m doing and looked up to him with a huge smile formed on my face.

“We did our first jogging this morning. But as a return, she told me to pass every tests and exams in the future.” I told him and he clicked his tongue.

“Tsk, why am I jealous of you? You should definitely help me to find a girl. I need a girl in my life too man.” He whined.

“Well, sometimes you don’t have to look so far when there’s one in front of you.” I said and his ears perked up at the sound of that.

“Who are you talking about?” He leaned towards me and I told him to turn his head to the left where Soomin and Hana were seated.

“Bro, I know I’m desperate but I’m not desperate for someone’s wife.” He snapped.

I immediately take my pen and hit his head, “I did not ask you to look at my wife. I asked you to look at the person who is sitting beside her.”

“You’re talking about Hana?” Jisoo replied with his disgusted smile.

“Yes,” I nod my head.

“No, never will that happen.” He fought.

“I’ve told you to never say never! Don’t you remember when I say I will never get Soomin to be mine? See what happened now.” I chuckled and he let out a sigh of disappointment.

“It’s okay, I’m pretty sure I can find my own girl without your help.” He whined and snatched back his paper from me.

---

 

It is only the first lesson of the day but I am already sleepy that I could feel my eyelids becoming heavier and heavier as time goes by.

“Soomin,” Hana elbowed me and I turned around to look at her who then points her chin to the front.

I followed where she pointed her chin to and it leads to Mrs. Lee folding her arms in front of the class.

“Is it nice to fall asleep in my class, Jung Soomin?” She said and I sat up straight.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Lee.” I apologized and she turned her head to the middle of the class around Joohyuk’s sitting area.

“Wow, the least expected students to sleep in class are sleeping in my class today. What a beautiful moment to remember by.” Mrs. Lee said in full sarcasm and Jisoo elbowed Joohyuk too who was placing his head on the table.

“You should have woken him up earlier, Jisoo.” She pointed it out and Joohyuk sat up straight.

“Did both of you had a rough night yesterday from work? Yeah, definitely looks like both of you drove night time taxi around Seoul.” She continued her sarcasm which earns me stares from the girls sitting in front.

“She’s at it again.” I whispered to Hana but making sure my lips weren’t moving as much.

“See me after the last class today.” She raised her voice and continues teaching the lesson.

“Did both of you really had a rough night yesterday?” Hana gasped, closing with both her hands.

“Shut it,” I clicked my tongue and focus back to the blackboard but I could feel there’s someone still looking at me.

Then, I looked up and find Haru still glaring at me with her sharp gaze.

 

After P.E which was the last lesson for today, Joohyuk and I make our way to the teacher’s office where Mrs. Lee told us to wait outside.

“Thanks to your hardcore training that it made both of us slept in class.” I said as I face in front, not looking at him.

“Well, it felt good to sleep after a long run.” He answered and turn his body around facing me, “Hey, you didn’t even run that much. How can you be sleepy?”

“Didn’t you know my slow pace is your fast pace and my fast pace is your slow pace?” I replied.

“I definitely know that.” He replied with a laugh.

The teacher’s door slides open and Mrs. Lee stepped out from her office, “Wow, smiling really wide I see.”

“Follow me both of you.” She points her index finger and we followed behind her as she walks next door to an empty counseling room.

 

“I want both of you to copy down the notes for each of your classmate from page 1 to 10 per set.” She gave us a set of worksheets each and no joke; there’s a lot of words.

“But Mrs. Lee, it’s nearly 6 in the evening. How can we finish all of these by tonight?” Joohyuk asked and I’m thankful he did.

“I don’t care how you’ll do it but I want it to be written by hand and make sure everything is accurate for my next lesson. I hope this make you don’t sleep in my class anymore.” She said and walked out the room.

“And,” she turned around and places her hand on the door, “No funny behavior here, we have CCTV installed.”

“Right, okay.” Joohyuk laughed and when she left, he turned around and looks at me with his one eyebrow raised.

“So what can we do to fasten our workload, top student?” He asked.

“Easy,” I take a seat and a pen provided, “We’ll write a set each and photocopy the rest of the amount. It will still be in our handwriting.” I suggested and he nods his head in agreement.

“You’re no doubt our top student in class.” He winked and we start our so called punishment.

 

The first 10 minutes was a silent one because we’re both concentrating on writing but seconds after that, he throw his pen down and crack his finger.

“Damn, how can you still write after writing 5 pages filled with words?” He asked, looking at my work.

“It’s not something you can’t do. Actually it’s great that Mrs. Lee gave us this to do,” I wanted to continue but he cuts me off.

“Why is it great? Is it great that you can spend your time with me?” He elbowed me but I push him away and shake my head as a respond.

“You promised me to do well in upcoming tests and exams, right? Writing this down by hand will definitely make you learn new things and eventually you’re able to memorize it.” I continued and he clicked his tongue followed by shaking of his head.

“Yeah whatever, top student,” He replied with no excitement in his tone and I chuckled.

“If you’re not going to do well, I guess you can make Jisoo your workout partner then.” I said.

“I would prefer you so I will do well in my studies alright?” He elbowed me again the second time and continue writing immediately.

 

After an hour and a half, we finished everything and photocopied everything to 35 sets. Both of us walked back to the teacher’s office and hand in the so called punishment back to Mrs. Lee.

“Well, you didn’t take long like what I expected.” She received the worksheets with both hands and checked every set.

“Smart enough to think about photocopying the originals.” She nod her head impressed and stand up, facing both of us.

“Make sure both of you won’t fall asleep in my class anymore if not the only easy punishment was today.” She reminds and we bowed slightly to her as we stepped out of the suffocating office.

“Thanks to our smart student here that we’re able to leave school before 8.” Joohyuk stretched him arm forward and place an arm over my shoulder afterward.

“Let’s go back home shall we?”

 

 

When Joohyuk was about to turn right to leave the school premises, I saw 3 familiar back figure at the school entrance and sure enough it’s Eunna, Haru and Seohyun.

“Oh crap, it’s the girls.” I whispered to myself but Joohyuk could hear what I said under that thick helmet.

“Where are they?” He turned and turned until I grab his head and show it towards where the girls are.

“Do you want to take the long way or the usual short one?” He asked to be sure but I told him to just go as usual but make sure that our faces are hidden.

“Sure, boss.” He sped up beside the girls and I could hear them squealed in surprise behind.

“Damn, that was cool.”

 

Finally after what felt like forever in school, we reach our apartment and it felt like heaven that moment.

Both of us threw ourselves on the sofa with arms spread wide. Joohyuk threw his arm in the arm and it landed right on my face which then I push it away and landed on his chest.

“I’m hungry.” He whined and that moment I came up with a great idea to make him jealous since today is his first day of dieting.

I walked to the kitchen with the thought of opening up the fridge and grab my full ice-cream tub and grabbing a spoon afterwards.

I sat beside him on the sofa and he opened his eyes and immediately saw me holding onto my ice-cream.

“Hey, how could you do this to me?” He pushed me slightly but I continue eating the ice-cream.

“What? You’re the one dieting, not me.” I said and feed myself a spoonful of deliciously creamy salted caramel ice-cream, my fav.

“Alright, I’ll cook my own delicious dinner and let you feast on that ice-cream yourself.” He stands up and walked to the kitchen where he starts by staring in the fridge that has nothing but ice in it.

“I thought you knew we have no groceries left this morning.” I said and his shoulder dropped in disappointment as he walk to the living room and grab his phone.

“But that doesn’t mean I can’t eat my dinner.” He dialed a number and put his phone near his ear.

 

20 minutes later, the doorbell rang and Joohyuk rushed to the door to receive the food he ordered through phone.

“Thank you so much,” I heard he say and closes the door as he skipped his way to the living room.

“What healthy food did you order?” I asked and he sat down on the floor with his legs crossed.

“I ordered spicy beef soup with brown rice and side of steamed egg.” He takes out the food and placed it on the table.

“You’re jealous aren’t you? It’s delicious.” He laughed when he looked at my face who’s staring at the delicious spicy soup.

“I am not jealous at all.” I lie back down on the sofa and focus on the TV show but who was I kidding, my stomach growled at the wrong time and it was embarrassing.

“Sure, I’ll make sure to finish everything up and make you salivate in your dreams.” He continues teasing me and start slurping the soup.

“Oh, you think I want to salivate in my dream just because I didn’t eat?” I grabbed my phone on the table and dial a restaurant number which sells my favorite boiled meat wrap.

 

20 minutes later, the doorbell rang again and I was the one rushing towards the door this time. After paying the rider, I skip back to the coffee table Joohyuk is sitting at and sat in front of him.

Joohyuk leaned towards my food with his jaw dropped down to the floor, “Are you not going to give me a piece of that meat in the wrap?”

“You had yours, brother.” I answered and feed myself the huge wrap I made with lettuce, meat and seasoning sauce.

“Sure, thanks sister. Now I’m craving for wraps.” He stands up and went ahead to the kitchen to clean up.

---

 

After the long dinner we had and how I helped to finish Soomin’s remaining meat and wrap, we decide to sleep in the living room instead of our own room.

“I still can’t believe you want to sleep beside me.” I spill out my feelings while we lie on the same mattress and under the same blanket with our hands behind our head.

“Why can’t you believe it?” She asked.

“Well, imagine you liking a guy for 3 years and never thought you could call him yours and then suddenly as if something hit us, both of you ended living under the same roof and you sleeping beside him.” I explained but she only responds with a click on the tongue.

“I don’t know how you feel but that definitely sounds nice.” She stated and I turn my head around to see her side profile.

“It’s nice and how I wish we can do this every night.” I said and she gulped, grabbing a pillow to cover her face.

“Let’s go to sleep before midnight, fatty.” I pinched her cheeks and both of us fell asleep under the same blanket.

 

The next morning came and as usual we did our usual routine to school but today there’s an exception.

Soomin went up to the class 5 minutes before me and when I’ve arrived, the whole class went from chaos to silent then they all surrounded me.

“Is this true, Joohyuk?” Sehun walked up to me and show me a picture.

“That’s your bike am I right?” He asked and I grab the printed photo to look at the picture clearly.

“Who took this picture?” I asked and they shrugged his shoulder before going back to their respective places.

I looked at Soomin’s place which is weirdly empty together with Hana’s.

“Hey, what happened?” I asked Jisoo as soon as I sat down and put down my bag.

“Someone left the photo in the class and everyone has been very busy body about it. It’s you and Soomin on your bike isn’t it?” Jisoo asked, concerned.

“That’s definitely us yesterday after our detention.” I said and he shook his head.

“The girls asked Soomin to go outside the class but I don’t want to get involved so-“ He said and I wanted to get up but he pulled my hand down.

“You don’t want to get involved in this if you don’t want your secret to be known.” He said but that didn’t convinced me enough to go and find out what happened to Soomin.

“I don’t think Soomin would want you to get involve either, trust me.” He add and I sat back on my chair when then the guys came surrounding me.

“Are you in a relationship with Soomin?” Kai asked.

“And if I?” I said and he chuckled.

“Good for you, but not good for Soomin.” He raised his eyebrow and they continue to talk among themselves.

---

 

 

“So, this is how you’re going to let your secret known to us?” Eunna poked my shoulder hard that it felt like her finger went through my shoulder.

“Why are you guys so busybody about my life? It’s my choice to choose who I want to date, am I right?” I fought for myself but that earned a laugh from Eunna.

“You definitely know Haru has liked Joohyuk and that you do not like anyone. But still knowing your friend likes someone, how could you snatch him away from her?” Eunna fought back and I became speechless within minutes.

“Then, what do you want me to do? Do you want me to break up with him?” I said and she chuckled in disbelief.

“I would appreciate if you could do that.” She replied.

“I will but only if he likes Haru as much as she likes him.” I said and wanted to leave the toilet but Haru grabbed my hand tight.

“What’s your relationship with Joohyuk?” She asked.

“Do you really need to ask?” I said and she gritted her teeth in respond.

“Don’t be shock if I tell you.” I warned her but Hana told me to keep quiet.

“I’m sorry if I cut your queue but if you really want to know our relationship, I would prefer you to ask him yourself.” I let go of her grip using my strength and walked out the toilet.

“Girl, you gave me a heart attack back there.” Hana breathe out in relief and grab my arm into hers.

“If she really wants to know, I want Joohyuk to be here with me too.” I said and walked back to the class.