Wake up call

3 Signs : You have a bad life.

3 signs you have a bad life

Chapter 5 – Wake up call.

---

 

One of the bad things that happened once you stopped living with your parents is that, breakfast is not served and you have to make and do everything all by yourself. I am so hungry even after all the food we ate last night but it doesn’t seem enough.

There should be at least some bread or ramen in the kitchen cupboard for us to eat. I took all my belongings and bag, locked the door to my room and went straight to the kitchen just like any other day. With so much high hopes, I opened the door to the cupboard and found 2 packets of ramen. It almost seems like they’re trying to tell us to earn money by ourselves and to go grocery shopping on our own.

“Do I have time to even cook this?” I looked at my wristwatch and sigh because it’s almost 8 and I have to leave at 8.

“I’ll just starve.” I close back the cupboard and grab my key and wear my shoe to go out but then I realized, there’s another person living in this house, Joohyuk.

“Is he even awake?” I asked myself but if he’s late then that’s his problem.

I took the chance to quickly go off to school.

Class will be starting around 3 minutes later and the only students that have arrived are the girls and the nerds in class. Okay, I need to be myself and worry just for myself. I don’t have to worry about other people getting late to class.

“We’re going to start the class in 2 minutes. If any of your friends haven’t arrived yet, please tell them to hurry because if not I will lock the door.” Mrs. Lee reminds and the guys quickly call their friends.

Right before the clock strikes 9, the group of guys from my class ran and stopped in front of Mrs. Lee who was ready to lock the door.

“You guys are very good at coming on time.” She said and shook her head, letting them in.

One by one came into the class and finally I locked eyes with Joohyuk. This is awkward.

---

 

“Open to page 83, we’ll be learning about sanitary today.” Mrs. Lee said and we opened the book to the assigned page.

“Guys, I overheard the 5 hot fashion girls in the bus today that they’re going to the mall after school.” Kai is the most excited one when it comes to girls. He’s one of the school playboys where 1 girl is never enough.

“Let’s go to the mall after we end our last class.” He exclaimed excitedly.

“Call me in!” Jisoo agreed while I stay silent.

“Joohyuk, you’re not going to join? Come on, it’s the hot girls!” Kai asked me.

“I have work after class.” I lied. I hate going after popular girls who thinks they own the school or something.

“You’re always not free. Yesterday we asked you out to arcade and you rejected. Today, you rejected us again.” Kai rolled his eyes but I couldn’t be bothered.

“Well, I have my own life to live,” I replied and Kai faced the front without saying anything.

It’s time for tea break and finally, I felt fresh after trying to pretend to listen what teacher was teaching,

“I want to grab a hotdog. Let’s go.” Jisoo hit my back and I stood up.

“Let’s go.”

We walked towards the door and the girls were walking out the door too. Soomin was the last one in line among the girls and I rushed behind her, “Why didn’t you wake me up just now? I nearly sat outside of the class because of you.” I .

“You did well before this. I didn’t have to wake you up.” She whispered and pretends to look in front so that it won’t be obvious that she’s talking to me, smart girl.

“Wake me up starting from tomorrow then.” I said and walked pass her together with Jisoo.

---

 

“Wake me up starting from tomorrow then.” Joohyuk said as he walk passed me.

Jeez, he always came early for these 2 years and now he wants me to wake him up. Is this the start of my dark days? Damn it.

“Girls, you want to hear some story?” Eunna asked while we walk down to the café to grab some snacks.

“What is it?” Seohyun replied.

“Oh my gosh, this story makes my blood boils so bad.” Eunna fanned herself.

“You guys know how much I hate those fashion and business course girls, am I right? When I was about to step down from the bus to school, a girl stepped on my shoes and never said sorry. She could even turn her head to look at me and walked away just like that, without saying sorry.” She told with her face turning red.

“I hate those girls. They think their parents own the school or something. What makes them think they’re higher in level then us?” I shook my head.

“Maybe because we’re engineering girls that no guy wants because most of the popular girls all came from their course and guys literally can go crazy for them.” Hana answered.

“Tsk, guys who go for girls like them have such bad taste.” Haru added.

Speaking of the devil, the girls from the fashion course walked in front of us with their heads up high. Following behind them, guys keeps whistling and shouting their names. Oh my god, it’s disgusting just by watching them walk and interact with the guys.

“Lydia, will you give my friend your number?”  A guy shouted from afar and when we tilt our head to the side, it was the guys from our class.

Such an embarrassment.

The tallest girl turned around and gave him a smile as she continues to walk.

“You girls just walked pass the school goddess. How can you not help us?” Kai glared at us and Hana replied, “School goddess? Wake up, guys. If you have the balls to talk like that to us, go and ask for her number yourself.”

As I walked down the pathway to the cafeteria, Joohyuk sat at the pond area with Jisoo beside him. I would have thought Joohyuk followed them to stalk the girls but he proved me wrong. The image that I always have of him as a playboy instantly changes.

“Girls, any plan this weekend? Let’s go out and shop!” Eunna asked and all agreed, except me.

“Soomin?” Eunna turned to me.

“Me? Umm, I think I can too?” I answered, unsure.

“Call! Let’s plan later at night.” She exclaimed excitedly as we make our way to the cafeteria.

 

Class finally ended and as fast as lightning, I packed my bags before Mrs. Lee finishes teaching and then I heard my name.

“Soomin, can I see you after class? Oh, together with you Joohyuk. Class dimissed.” She announced and the students all ran out as I asked the girls to go first.

“Yes, Mrs. Lee?” I walked towards her with Joohyuk.

“I heard the news.” She sorts her books and sat on her chair and faced us.

“What news?” I asked, okay I have totally no idea that our teacher would know about things like this.

“That both of you got married yesterday.” She said. Joohyuk choke on his spit and I froze like a statue.

“How did you know that?” Joohyuk asked.

“Both your parents gave me a call to tell me and that this marriage is arranged and shall be kept a secret until later.” She replied with a smile.

“How did that happen?” She asked us to sit down in front of her.

“It just happened.” Joohyuk answered.

“I’m surprised it’s you, Soomin.” She said.

“I’m surprised it’s me too, Mrs. Lee.” I answered

“I don’t think it would be a surprise if it’s Joohyuk and Haru but when your parents told me it’s you, I’m surprised.” She said straight-forward.

Okay, what’s up with bringing Haru into this conversation? I know she’s the prettiest girl in class but I deserve to get married too. Jeez, teacher.

“I like that it’s Soomin and not Haru.” Joohyuk suddenly blurt it out and I nearly died and came back alive because my heart literally stopped beating for a second.

“That’s good. I hope you guys live happily. Don’t worry, I will keep my mouth shut. You guys may go. Don’t forget to come early tomorrow if you don’t want to get locked out.” She said and we quickly left the classroom.

Walking side by side with him, after hearing what he said, made it awkward for me.

“Why does she have to say Haru’s name?” he chuckled, shaking his head.

“If I was her, I will say why not Haru too.” I answered and I’m being honest.

“Are you going anywhere after this?” He asked, changing the topic.

“I want to go back and sleep.” I replied.

“Let’s go grocery shopping.” He suggested.

“In uniform?” I looked at him with one eyebrow raised.

“No, we can go and get change first, silly head.” Joohyuk knuckled the side of my head and I rolled my eyes, walking a feet in front of him.

 

Its nearly dinner time and it took us only 5 minutes to change from uniform to home clothes.

“Hurry up, woman.” Joohyuk shouted from his room and when I walked out of my room, he is still playing games.

“Bro, are you kidding me right now?” I stand still at his door.

“Okay, I’m done. Let’s go. By the way, do you know how to cook?” He asked, combing his hair with his fingers.

“I’m not good with traditional Korean cooking but I can grill meat. Oh my god, can we eat grilled meat today?” I suggest as we wait for the elevator to come.

“Am I going to eat meat for the rest of my life?” He said, looking at me.

Something about that sentence made my heart flutters a bit. Haha, I’m crazy.

“If you know how to cook, then cook for yourself. You don’t have to make me cook all the time.” The elevator door opened and someone came out, our neighbor, Mino.

“Oh hey there neighbor.” He smiled and waved.

“Where are you guys going?” He asked, being so busy body again.

“We’re going to the grocery shop. Why, do you want to follow?” Joohyuk sound so sarcastic, I swear.

“I would love to if you let me go just with your sister.” Mino winked.

“Maybe next time.” Joohyuk smiled and pulled my wrist, entering the elevator.

“Oh by the way, I made my team score 4-0 today. It must be because we met yesterday.” He winked again and the door closes.

“He’s so weird.” I said it out loud.

“Weird? Can’t you tell that he’s totally hitting on you?” Joohyuk said.

“That’s why it’s weird.” I answered and Joohyuk raised his eyebrow, “Why is that weird?

“No one ever hit on me.” I said.

“Really? Not even once?” Joohyuk suddenly sound interested.

“That made me sound pathetic right?” I sighed, leaving the elevator.

“It’s not easy to find a girl like you nowadays.” I heard Joohyuk said from behind then he suddenly catches up with me.

“I’m glad my parents chose you and not girls like Haru.” He said, making my heart flutters again.

“Haru is a good girl, every guy wants to be her.” I said because it’s the truth. Everywhere we go, guys always asked for Haru’s number and name. Sigh, my self-esteem dropped negative 1000.

“Aren’t you thinking too low of yourself?” He asked as the wind blew and it felt refreshing.

“I’m not. It’s the fact. Can’t you see how our class guys always surround themselves around Haru?” I looked up to him.

---

 

“I’m not. It’s the fact. Can’t you see how our class guys always surround themselves around Haru?”

Only if you know how we always talk about you behind your back, Soomin. You’re going to get the shock of your life. It’s interesting how guys and girls think differently. She thinks all guys are crazy for Haru ­­but in fact, guys are crazy for Soomin.

 

After the fun grocery shopping with her, we walked back with two full bags of grocery and finally it’s time to eat.

“Make sure you grill the meat properly. I’m famished.” I said as we enter the elevator. I swear I hated grocery shopping before this but it is fun with her.

The elevator door opened at level 5 and the first thing I spot is a bag hanging off the handle of the door.

“Is this from your secret admirer?” I squint my eyes and take the bag off the handle. It was so obvious it’s for Soomin.

“Give it to me.” Soomin grab the bag off my hands and quickly put down the grocery bags on the kitchen counter as she quickly check what’s the content of the box.

She must’ve liked him. Dang it.

“What is it?” I stand beside her and there’s a letter. She took it out and it says,

 

Good evening, brother’s little sister.

I still do not know your name but I know I can call you tonight. ;)

My mum wants me to give some side dishes for you and your brother. Enjoy the side dishes together with your meal. Don’t be shy to ask for more.

Love, Mino. 02-9586-6255

 

I snatched the paper from her and stared at it.

“02-9586-6255?” I looked at her and she laughed. She laughed?

“Wow, the side dish looks so nice.” She took everything out from the bag and places it right into the fridge.

“Are you going to call him?” That’s all I care for.

“Should I? Should I say thank you?” She said with an innocent smile on her face.

“You think?” I glared at her.

“I think yes because I need to say thank you.” She tried to snatch back the paper but I held higher above my head.

“You can always say thank you when you see him.” I said.

“Okay, brother.” She smiled and starts tearing the packaging of the meat.

What the hell, Joohyuk? If she wants to call him, let her call. Why must you stop her?

My heart and my brain were not working together. Even though my heart says to just give it to her, my brain made me fold the paper and put it inside my jeans pocket. I’M OFFICIALY CRAZY.

The dinner turned out delicious even though it was just meat, lettuce, those side dishes and cider. After dinner, we went back to our own room and something still bothers me.

“02-9586-6255? How can someone be so senseless? Why does he think we’re siblings? Where in the world do we look similar?” I let my game introduction played even though I will always skip it.

“Brother’s little sister?” I said again and start my game I saved yesterday night.

“BROTHER’S LITTLE SISTER?!”

---

 

“I miss my beloved Seungri.” I scrolled down my twitter and save as many as Seungri’s picture as I jam to Big Bang’s new song. Why is everything about them so perfect? I deserve every reason to be Seungri’s wife. Okay, I’ll be honest, if I couldn’t get Seungri, T.O.P is perfect enough for a second choice.

“But life doesn’t always happen as you want, my human.” The spirit appeared on my bed, drinking his water from the bottle.

“I just found out about grape soda today and it taste amazing.” He said as he sips another sip.

“You said you’re going to come if you sense uneasiness. Do you feel uneasiness?” I asked him, putting down my phone.

“I just have nothing to do at the academy. That’s why I decide to come and visit my human.” He replied.

“Academy? Spirit goes to school too?” I began to grow interest in his story.

“Yup, just that I don’t know when I will graduate.” He replied.

“Interesting. Are you a human in your past life?” I asked again.

“My report said that I was once a human and I was chosen to be a human guardian.” He started his story.

“How were you chosen?” I questioned.

“Legends said that if you died while doing volunteer work, you become a guardian. But I can’t remember my past life.” He replied.

“You don’t remember how you die?”

“I will eventually but the moment I remember my past life, I won’t be a guardian anymore.” He answered.

“You liked being a guardian?”

“I guess it’s kind of fun even though humans are tough to deal with.” He replied and sips his soda once more.

“Tell me more about yourself, Spirit.” I sat up straight and hugged my comfortable fluffy pillow.

“There’s still a lot of things for me to find out about myself while being a guardian. I’m still trying to learn as much as I can before I move on to the afterworld.” He started.

“There’s a limited amount of guardians right now and it’s hard for the leaders to appoint which guardian to which human.” He continued.

“Is it really that I have the darkest future among millions of humans right now?” I asked, curious.

“Right when my 1st human succeeded in overcoming his darkest misfortune, I was appointed to someone else, which was you. I was given a report by my leader to assist and guide you. It may seem like everything is normal now but humans with guardians, their life will never be normal.” He answered.

“Are there any tips for me to avoid that dark misfortune?” I questioned and he shook his head.

“Humans are never allowed to fight fate. That’s why I’m here to guide you through but you’re the decision maker of your life so everything is up to you.” He replied.

“All I’m allowed to tell you is what will happen in a minute or a month time. Any more than that, both you and I will be punished.” He reminded to never ask him more than what he told me.

“What’s the punishment?” I asked, curious.

“The academy has never had to carry out any punishment because no guardian made any mistakes since 10 decades ago. So if any guardian were to break the rules, they will be the first one to get punished after 10 decades.” He said.

“So, you must be careful then.” I showed my concern.

“Go to sleep and wake up fresh tomorrow. Don’t forget that the start of your dark days has begun, we’re just not sure when.” He sips his soda and disappears.

“He scares me if he disappears like that.” I pouted and cover myself with blanket back but I heard a knock.

“Soomin, can you come out for a while?” He said.

“Such a troublesome man.” I sighed and cover myself up with my oversized hoodie and head out.

“What’s up? I’m all ready to sleep.” I said with half of my eyes closed.

“Sit here. Play with me for a while.” He pat the bare floor beside him as he passed the controller to me.

“I don’t know how to play soccer.” I gave him a glare and he smiled.

“What game are you good at?” He asked, being considerate.

“I’m good at fighting games.” I suddenly lit up and he changes the game cd to a fighting one.

“You don’t have to sleep, do you?” I asked while we wait for the game to load.

“I’m bored.” He sighed.

“Sleep is the best medicine for everything.” I said and looked over at the clock where it already strikes midnight.

“Just one game then you’ll go to sleep.” He said as both of us choose the character and finally starts the game.

Believe me not, I managed to win him in all 3 matches even though I could see he gave his best. Tsk, don’t look down on girls when it comes to fighting game.

“I’ve done my part, so I’ll go to sleep now.” I stood up and before I could leave his room he said, “Wake me up tomorrow.”

Whatever.

---

 

Why do I feel like I am sleeping so long today? I tossed and turn to my charging phone on my nightstand and it’s already 8. . Soomin, this girl! How dare she didn’t wake me up again?

I rush towards the toilet and quickly get ready. But wait, her room door is closed. Is she still sleeping? It can’t be because yesterday her door was locked too and she’s already in class earlier than me. She must have gone to school already. What the hell is she thinking?

I quickly grab a piece of bread after putting on my uniform and bag and shoes as I quickly run to the bus stop. Luckily, the bus came right when I arrived and I’ll make sure to revenge Soomin next time.

The bus doesn’t take any longer than 10 minutes to reach school and I have plenty of time to walk to class. Taking this opportunity, I grab a cup of hot cocoa and then walk straight to the class. It is 5 minutes before Mrs. Lee lock the door and I still can make it on time.

Walking as slow but as fast as I can, I reached my class and put down my bag, hoping Soomin could see I can make it on time to class without her but… she’s not there.

“Ya, why’s Soomin’s late? She’s never late.” Eunna said and my ears perked up.

WHAT?! She’s not here yet? Is she still in the room sleeping?

“Tell your late friends that they will be spending their morning lesson outside of the class today.” Mrs. Lee slowly walked towards the door and locked it. , I bet she’s still sleeping.

---

 

“I think this is it!” I heard the spirit voice and woke up, stretching every muscle first.

“What is it, spirit?” I asked, looking at him.

“The start of your bad days. Look at what time it is now.” He point to the clock.

“8.30.” I replied and lay back down. “8.30?!” I realized and shouted at the top of my lungs.

“Are you kidding me? Did you fiddle with my clock, spirit? Damn it!” I grab my towel and go to the bathroom and saw Joohyuk’s door room opened. He left. He left without waking me up? Is this karma? He was the one who asked me to wake him up.

Okay, I have no time for that. I quickly wash my face and brushes my teeth and quickly put on my uniform. As fast as lightning, I wore my shoes and open the door to rush to the elevator.

“Hey, neighbor.” Mino was in front of the elevator. I smiled at him and quickly rush to the elevator and press the button 1.

“You look like you’re rushing.” He said.

I nodded and still remain to smile.

“I can bring you to school. I have a motorbike.” He offered but I rejected.

“It’s okay, seems like your school is around here. It won’t even take a minute to reach.” He said and pull my wrist to his bike.

“You can return the favor by calling me tonight with the number I gave you.” He put on the extra helmet on his bike on me and without talking much, I get on as he sped his way to the school.

It took only 3 minutes to reach and I was very thankful for him. I combed my hair neatly and bowed slightly to him, “Thank you so much for helping even though you have to go somewhere.” I thanked him.

“If you’re thankful then remember what I said just now. See you later, neighbor.” He winked, get back on his bike and ramp off.

But, I’m married. But it’s arranged. But he’s hot. Dang it.

It is nearly 9 and even though there was no chance of me getting in the classroom, I still made an effort to run to the classroom but of course as I’ve guessed, Mrs. Lee already locked the door.

I stand outside the class and wait till she releases the class for tea break.

“Ya, Jung Soomin, what happened to you? Why are you late?” Seohyun came to me once they were released for break and I sighed.

“Thing happens in life.” I smiled and acted like nothing happen.

“Go in then. We’ll go and grab some snacks.” Seohyun said and the moment I want to enter the class, the guys came out one by one and looked at me like I did something wrong.

What the are you guys looking at? I rolled my eyes and wait for this jerks to leave the class. I am patiently waiting for Joohyuk to come out but I didn’t see his figure. I enter the classroom and he was there at his sit, with his head down and earpiece in his ears.

“Is he getting back at me for not waking him up yesterday?” I talked to myself and put my bag down as I took out my book.

I tried my best to fit everything written on the whiteboard into my notebook. Minutes later before tea break ended, I heard a chair squeaks and Joohyuk came to sit in front of me.

“I thought you went to school already without me. Yesterday you left with your door closed so I thought it’s the same thing today too that you left the house with your door closed. I swear I didn’t know you haven’t woke up.” He said but I just nod.

“It’s not a big deal.” I said.

He snatched my pen away and closes my notebook, “Another round of game later? I’ll make sure you lost real bad.”

“Guess how I reached here early.” I ignored his comment and told him with a huge smile on my face but Joohyuk’s face turned sullen.

“What? Has it got to do with your secret admirer again?” He said.

“Mino offered me to ride his bike and I reached here in 3 minutes.” I told him, holding up 3 of my fingers.

“Oh, where’s the paper he gave yesterday? I want to say thanks to him.” I asked for the paper back.

“I tore it then threw it.” He stood up with a smile and walked back to his desk.

“It’s alright, I always bumped into him around 6 in the evening so I can always say thank you to him.” I answered and continue writing back the missed lesson.

“Another round of game your head. Because of that game, I came late to class for the first time.” I murmured under my breath and tried to finish everything up before another class begins.

---