I wanted ice-cream

3 Signs : You have a bad life.

3 signs you have a bad life.

Chapter 3 – I wanted ice-cream

-------

 

“It’s time to wake up, Mrs. Nam.” The spirit whispered on my left ears as I continued sleeping, ignoring the spirit’s existence as much as I can.

“Three minutes before your mother enter your room without your permission and she will see your notebook that you wrote last night, if you don’t want to wake up now.” The spirit threatened.

“Notebook?” I slowly opened my eyes and quickly ran towards my desk as I safely keep my beloved notebook.

“She must never read this.” I sighed as hard as I can and tried to accept the reality that this spirit is finally a part of my life.

“Get ready in 15 minutes. Breakfast today is your favorite dish.” He advised as he disappears.

As soon as the clock strikes 3 minute after, my mum knocks on the door, shouting, “WAKE UP! Get ready and eat breakfast. Your dad will bring you to school. You only have 1 hour left before going out.”

“What is my life? How the heck am I going to face Joohyuk after knowing he will be my husband?” I talked to myself while looking at the mirror with my bed hair.

“What even is a husband? I have not even been in a relationship before. Does he even want to marry a girl like me?” I tried to convince myself that this marriage won’t be continued if I start looking extra horrible from today. I mean, I always looked so shabby and messy, and if I look extra shabby and messy, Joohyuk wouldn’t agree to marry me as he will be embarrassed having an ugly wife like me.

“Set!” I laughed at my horrible thoughts as I head to the shower.

---

 


You’ve got everything you need, son?” She asked as I zipped my bag.

“I have nicely packed everything inside. All I need now is food.” I stood up, heading to the kitchen and before I managed to grab my spoon for the rice, my mother slides a black chic box to me.

“This is the most important thing that you will need today.” She smiled oh so widely.

“Mum.” I called her with my unimpressed face.

“What? I thought you said you’ve agreed with the wedding. Every girl wants a ring no matter how old she is.” She smiled oh so widely again.

“Can you even imagine how awkward it will be for both of us? We’re not even in that relationship where we talk with each other in class.” Even though I complain much, I still took the chance to eat my breakfast of rice, meat and stew.

“This is all for-“ Before my mother managed to finish of her sentence, I interrupted with, “To inherit grandfather’s company? You still think this is in the past? You think this is a drama or something?”

“You said yes to the wedding last week, how could you say all of these now? Her family has already made preparations for the wedding, Joohyuk.” My dad interrupted.

“I’m done. See you in a week.” I stand up as I walked straight to the door, closing the door after myself.

---

 

Of course, after thinking like a genius just now, my mission for now is to look as ugly as possible and to act as horrible as I can in front of Joohyuk whenever possible. If he saw me in that state, he wouldn’t want to marry me.

“What’s up with your eyes?” My mother noticed slight changes in my eyeliner today.

“Why?” I act like I didn’t know what happened.

“Why do your eyes look so dark today? Did you not wash your makeup properly today?” She walks over and tried to touch my face.

“Mum, this is my dark circle. I can do nothing about it but to wait till it’s gone. Jeez, it has been a tough week for me and you think I am still normal?”

Alright, I should be an actress in my next life.

“If you can’t do anything about your dark circle, can you at least comb your hair?” She reached out a comb near the table and tried to comb my hair but of course I need to come out with another lie.

“Mum, I have noticed that these past few days, my hair have been getting weaker and it keeps falling off if I try to comb my hair wet. I need to dry them first, mum. I’ll take care of it.”

Jeez.

“You really need to do well in this vacation, alright? It’s not the time to have fun with your friends but it’s time to make Joohyuk likes you.” My quiet dad has spoken.

“What are you guys even talking about?” I shook my head and saw the spirit standing behind my parents.

He was drinking off his bottle or something as he sat on the kitchen counter, as if he’s waiting for my parents to finish talking or something.

“If you’re done, I need to go now. Dad, you don’t need to drive me to school. I like being alone right now. See you in a week.” I said as I quickly grabbed my bag and walk off to the bus stop.

“Anything to update me on, spirit?” I asked him as he walks beside me.

“Nothing, I just want to see how my human is doing.” He giggled.

“Do you find it funny right now? Are you laughing at my fate right now?” I stopped and asked him, without realizing that to other people, I looked like I am talking to myself.

“Well, I am not exactly laughing at your fate because I cannot do anything about that but to help you.” He answered as he continues to walk.

“The only think I can tell you right now is that this 1 week will be the happiest week of your life, that’s for sure.” He said and that made me happier by 1 percent.

“And the reason is?” I tried to make him spill more tea for me.

“Joohyuk.” He smiled as he ran away and disappears from my sight before I could even ask him more.

“Tsk, impossible.” I tried to deny that I was a little happy to hear that but only god knows how much of a playboy that Joohyuk is.

---

 

First thing before all of us board the bus to the airport from school is that we need to pick a partner and as soon as hear that, I grabbed Hana’s hands which were right beside me.

“You don’t mind, do you?” I asked as she laughed, “Oh course not, you fool.”

“Cool.” I chuckled as my heart began to beat really hard when I heard Joohyuk’s voice.

“Mr. Kim, how about a male-female partner? I don’t always want to see Jisoo’s face all the time.” Joohyuk suggest and oh my god why does he have to say that?

Now, I’m all nervous if I will be his partner. Why am I thinking about this already? Why am I nervous? Of course he wouldn’t want to pick me. We still have Haru, the prettiest girl in class and I won’t be his choice. Okay, I need to stop. It won’t be me.

“Are you sure? Is there anything different with the girls today? I thought you guys don’t want to involve yourself with the girls this whole time?” Mr. Kim replied.

“That’s in school. We’re going on a vacation, Mr. Kim. Of course I want to seat beside a girl in the bus not with this face every time.” Joohyuk replied.

“Ya, I’m hurt.” Jisoo said and of course the guys agreed.

“What’s wrong with them? I thought they wouldn’t even want to get involve with girls?” Haru asked, even she is confused as heck.

“Alright, to make it fun, how about the girls stand in one straight line and the guy who want to partner up with girl stand behind of her.” Mr. Kim suggested but, god he is so old-fashioned.

“That’s not fun, Mr. Kim. Let us describe the girl that we want to partner up with. ” Joohyuk again, suggested it.

“ my life. Please let me partner up with the nerd in the class.” I rarely pray, but when I pray, I pray for useless reason.

“The girl who wears vans sneakers.” The spirit appeared again as he whispered those in my ears and 1 second later, Joohyuk said the same thing.

11 out of 12 girls wear different kind of vans sneakers.

“Shut up.” I mumbled but made it clear for the spirit.

“The girl who is wearing a watch on her wrist.” The spirit said and Joohyuk repeated the same thing.

8 out of 12 girls wear watch.

“The girl name that starts with Soo in front.”

2 out of 12 girls name are Soo in front and 1 of them is me. God, please be Soori, not Soomin.

“The tallest girl in the class.” The moment the spirit told me that, my heart burst out.

1 out of 12 girls is the tallest and that is me.

Everyone looked at me as they clap their hand as if they were watching an award show or something.

“Soomin.” Joohyuk said my name. NAM JOOHYUK SAID MY NAME.

“Can I faint?” I force a smile but my heart is nearly about to end its life.

“Alright, Joohyuk will pair up with Soomin. You guys can go up the bus now.” Mr. Kim said as Joohyuk went up the bus, walking pass me, smiling.

“Told you, this is your happiest week of your life.” The spirit said as he disappears.

“I am not desperate, you freaking little spirit.” I murmured under my breath.

You know, every bus trip, the guys love to sit on the back seat of the bus but I am surprised that Joohyuk didn’t pick that place.

“Soomin, I’m here!” Joohyuk shouted as he waves his hand. He sat at the last two sitter of the bus. He left the space inside empty as he sat outside. As I walk down to him, I felt like this was all a dream and how I will wake up later and realized I am dreaming after all. These are all fake, don’t believe what your mind is telling you, Soomin.

“Hi.” Joohyuk said as he stands up and let me sit inside.

I took a deep breath and tried to pinch myself where it is not noticeable so that he won’t think I am over-reacting or something.

I can feel the pain. Do you feel pain in your dreams too? I hope I can wake up from this dream now.

“Have you eaten?” Joohyuk asked as he put away his phone.

I turn my heard as his eyes and his smile greeted me. HOLY-MOTHER-OF-HEART, are you still beating? HOLY-MOTHER-OF-DREAM, can you wake me up now?

“Of course.” I answered as I heard the spirit whispering to me, “This is reality.”

“Have you heard about-“

Please do not talk about the wedding. Please do not talk about the wedding.’ I prayed so hard.

“The itinerary  later? I heard that they changed a bit here and there?”  Joohyuk asked.

Fuhh… thanks god for hearing my prayer.

“Nope, what changed?” I asked him back.

“Hotel.” He answered so simply but why am I thinking out of the box? Just the word hotel scares the bee out of me. No Soomin, what he is trying to say is that they changed the hotel location, what are you even thinking you dirty little ?

I sighed and cover my face with my hands as I rest my elbow on my knee.

“Why? Are you having a headache?” Joohyuk sounded like he’s concerned but laughs laughs laughs, Soomin, he is not concerned about you. He is just asking because you acted like that. Get your mind, together.

It’s as if I have multiple people in my head right now.

“No, I’m fine.” I said as I felt needles were poking through my brain right now.

---

 

After what felt like forever in the bus and on the plane to Jeju island, we finally landed our feet on the beautiful island where I will hopefully spend without thinking much of the fact that I’m getting married with my classmate. Nope. I am here to have fun after exams and with my friends. Yes, that’s the attitude.

Lunch was okay. Activity was okay and now all I am looking forward to is going to the hotel and sleep.

“Who are you sleeping with?” Joohyuk suddenly came up to me and whispered it through my ears.

Has he been wanting me to slap him all these while? Him whispering to me isn’t even funny right now.

“Hana.” I replied without wanting to talk much.

“I’m rooming with Jisoo but if you’re bored, you can come to room 322. That’s my room.” He winked as he walk up to Jisoo, laughing.

“He’s inviting you for your first night. You should be honored.” The spirit appeared again after few hours missing and again, that scared the bees out of me.

“Soomin, it’s only 6 and you already look like a mess.” Hana shook her head as she combs out my messy hair with her fingers.

“I look horrible, am I right?” I grabbed her wrist off my hair and asked her the most stupid question.

“You don’t look horrible, you just look tired.” She said and I knew she was being conscious of my feelings.

“I want to look more tired than this.” I rubbed my eyes, hoping that my ‘dark circle’ becomes worse and ruffled my hair making it looks like a bee hive.

“Ya, what’s wrong with you?” Hana said as she followed me to the elevator to our room.

 

On our last day in Jeju, I wanted to refresh myself after a tiring day with a nice hot shower when,

“You got a little bit of dirt here, honey.” I heard a familiar voice as soon as I turn on the shower.

“AHHHHHH!” I shouted, because who wouldn’t.

“Soomin, are you alright?” Hana shouted, asking from outside.

“I’m fine. My shampoo slipped off my hands.” I shouted back.

 “You said people won’t hear me shouting if I’m with you?” I grabbed the shower curtain and quickly cover my body because who doesn’t.

“Well, it might not work if you scream louder than last time.” He giggled.

“What’s up, girl? It has been a long time since I’ve seen you and you look like you’re a mess right now without me.” He winked.

“Thanks, I am in a mess with these bubbles on my head. I am trying to shower here and if you don’t mind, could you please come back twenty minutes later.” I said.

“Oh girl, I can’t. I can’t just come and go as I like. And don’t worry, I am not a human. I don’t have that like what male humans have. So, please continue and have your shower. I am just going to be here playing with the bubbles.” He said as if I am going to believe him.

“Okay now, Hana can’t see spirit and if you go out of this bathroom, she wouldn’t see you.” I whispered.

“I can’t be 5 meters away from you if not our connection will be lost.” He said with a serious face.

“I need to know more about you later. So, please turn your head around and face the wall and don’t turn around until I say so.” I ordered and put back the curtain on the hook. Jeez. Thank god, I don’t have any heart attack if not tomorrow will be my funeral and I am not ready for that.

After 5 minutes of my quick shower and the fact that a male spirit is inside the bathroom with me, I dry my hair with the towel and turn on a song on my phone so that Hana won’t hear me talking ‘all by myself’.

“What do you want now?” I asked.

“5 minutes from now, Joohyuk will come knocking to your room, asking you to follow him for a walk to the store nearby to buy ice-cream. I sensed that you both will be having a deep conversation with each other so be careful with what choice of word you said and actions you made.” He said. This is the first time I’ve seen him being so serious which made me even more nervous.

“Actually I lied, he’s here.” Then the spirit disappears again and a knock was heard.

“What the actual heck, spirit?” I sighed, turning the handle of the bathroom door when he appeared again beside me saying, “You can call me Seungri. I named myself that after reading your notebook.” And boom, there he goes into the air again.

---

 

“I’m sorry to disturb, is Soomin here?” I said as soon as Hana opened the door.

“Soomin? She’s in the toilet. Why are you here?” Hana asked, curious and wondering what is happening between the two.

“Oh, can you tell her that I need to talk to her about something for a while?” I asked for help.

“Wait for a while then.” She closes back the door.

“What am I doing here?” Yes, that’s the question of my life right now. I don’t even know why am I making the effort to come down to her room and I don’t even know what’s the purpose of it.

“She’ll be ready in 5 minutes.” Hana told me as she closes the door again.

‘Okay, Nam Joohyuk. Just get this straight and tell her that even though you and her are getting married anytime soon, tell her not to worry because you won’t jump on her and that you will sleep at different room and that you guys won’t really be a-‘

“What do you want?” The room door suddenly opens and jeez, she’s standing there with her oversized hoodie and wet hair.

“couple.” I finish saying what’s on my mind without realizing that I said it out loud.

FML

“Hi, are you there?” She. Waved. In. Front. Of. My. Face.

Girls wearing oversized hoodie with wet hair are my weakness.

I slapped my face hard to wake up and face the reality that I need to talk to her about this stupid old-fashioned marriage.

“Do you mind if I want to take you out?” I said but gosh that sounded like I’m asking her if she wants to date me.

“To?” She asked with question marks floating above her head.

“To buy ice-cream. My treat. Let’s go.” I said and quickly walk off her room corridor, heading to the elevator, hoping that she won’t close the door on me and that she will follow me or else my pride is hurt and my pride is hurt. That’s all.

But thank you to every mother of god because she followed me.  Wait, Joohyuk, why are you so excited? You need to calm down.

“You want to eat ice-cream in the middle of a winter night?” She asked me, standing beside me and god I like her height so much. She isn’t too short or too tall for me. The height where she barely raise her head up to look at me is what I like.

I need to buy an automatic invisible slapping machine for my cheeks so that I will not think of something really useless.

“I want to eat ice-cream because I’m feeling really hot right now.” I answered and hopefully she won’t think about anything else. I swear to god, I am not the cool Joohyuk tonight.

“You can ask Jisoo to follow you.” She said as both of us enter the elevator.

“Oh, because I have something to tell you.” I said, maintaining my coolness in me.

The night air was cold and thank god she’s wearing hoodie because if not, I need to give my jacket to her and I will freeze to death and I will not see the future.

“So, what is that you want to tell me?” She asked, walking with her hands inside her hoodie pocket. Why does she look different as usual? What’s happening to me? God, help me.

“Let me buy ice-cream first and then we can talk about this.” When we reached the store, I asked her to sit on the seating area as I went over to buy her a cup for hot coffee and an ice-cream for me.

“I thought you wanted to treat me ice-cream?” She said, smiling.

Did my heart just skip a beat?

“I thought you’re cold so I get you a coffee but if you want ice-cream, I could get you one.” I said, and I am confused myself. When did I become so nice to a person before? Even Jisoo doesn’t get this kind of treatment.

“No, it’s okay. I like hot coffee.” She giggled and asked me to sit down.

There was a moment of awkward silent because obviously I didn’t want to suddenly start talking about our marriage.

“Do you want to talk about that story?” She said, hinting about that sensitive topic of our arranged marriage.

“I just want to tell you that-“

“You don’t want to get married to me, right? Good because same goes to me too. When we go back home, we can tell our parents that.” She interrupted and I knew she was going to say that.

“No, I accepted the marriage and I want to tell you that you don’t have to worry about being married with me.” I said straightforwardly.

went wide open as her jaw dropped. Haha, I knew she wasn’t expecting that statement from me.

“Why?” She asked.

“Because first, no matter how much we’ll decline they will still plan for our wedding and there’s no use of us saying no. Secondly, if we get married, my parents will get us a new home where only you and me will live and that’s my dream where I will live away from my parents. Third, we don’t have to sleep together but if you want to, I can allow you. And lastly, we obviously know that both of us won’t really be a couple anyways.” I answer, proud. Fuh, I can brush that burden statement off my shoulders now.

“Okay, you sounded exactly the opposite as what I was expecting and I am surprised that you’re agreeing with this marriage. But I like your idea on having to live apart from our parents and that we won’t really be a couple anyway. So, that’s that.” She replies coolly.

“Anything else you’ll like to add on before we go back to Seoul tomorrow morning?” She added.

“That’s it.” I replied, finishing the last bit of my ice-cream.

“Cool, just don’t invade my privacy. That’s all I’m asking.” She said as she put her hand out to shake mine.

“Cool.”

Damn, she’s cool.

---

 

One month later, rose petals were everywhere. Everything was white and pure. And most importantly, the wedding dress is amazingly beautiful and breath-taking.

"Do you take him to be your husband?"

"Yes, I do."

"Do you take her to be your wife?"

"Yes, I do."

Everything was perfect until I heard a loud fall and I felt the pain.

“YAH!” I shouted because I could feel someone kicking me that caused me to fall down as I look up to my bed when I saw Joohyuk.

HE. IS. THERE. LYING. ON. MY. BED. SNORING.