Don't fight your fate

3 Signs : You have a bad life.

3 signs you have a bad life

 Chapter 6 – Don’t fight your fate.

---

 

I have this one thing that has been bothering me for the last few days. Remember when mum and dad passed me a black box with a ring inside before I went to Jejudo? It’s still here with me. I couldn’t even gather my courage to give it to Soomin even though it wasn’t from me.

To avoid suspicions from our friends, we decide to put our wedding ring as a pendant for necklace. But this ring that I am holding here is from my parents and they told me to give it to her as a present but what if she misunderstands and think that I am the one who got it for her. Damn, that would be so awkward.

Okay Joohyuk, you gotta be a man and give this to her on behalf of your parents and tell her that this ring isn’t from you, it’s from your parents. You’re one of the cool guys in school. Every girl would die to be in her place, so you can do it!

With all my gathered courage, I jumped out from my bed and turn the handle of the door. She’s just there in the living room, watching the television. Just put it in front of her and tell her it’s from your parents.

Okay, breathe in. breathe out. You can do this!

“Would you make some noise if you’re behind of me? I could die of heart attack.” She stood up and walked to the kitchen with her eyes rolled at me.

First try: failed.

I swear she is not the same as Soomin in class. Damn sassy I tell you.

She closed the freezer and walked back to the living room with an ice-cream tub in her small hands then she lay back down on the sofa.

“Are you going to stand there for the whole day?” She asked, focusing on her show. Then it hit me that I am still standing on the same spot where I left my room.

I clear my throat and put both my hands in front of me, forcing myself to just put it on the table.

“I have something to give you.” I said and told her to sit down as I sit beside her on the sofa.

“What?” She furrowed her eyebrow and stared at me.

“Can you not look at me like I did something wrong?” I told her and crossed my leg, changing my main focus to the television.

“Excuse me, brother. What in the world did you want to give me?” She snapped her fingers near my face and scoops herself a spoonful of ice-cream.

“Give me some.” I avoided her gaze and snatched her ice-cream and feed myself some too.

“Hey, you bought your double chocolate ice-cream last two days! Don’t disturb my salted caramel!” She grabbed back and went to the kitchen, taking a new spoon and my ice-cream.

“Eat yours.” She put my ice-cream on my lap and continues eating hers. Damn feisty.

I took this chance to eat my ice-cream and to delay a little bit of the time to prepare myself. This is not the usual me. It’s not so hard to just give her. Why are you so scared?

I open the tub and feed myself a huge spoonful of my favorite ice-cream.

“What are you watching?” I asked her.

“Re-run of 2 days 1 night.” She answered and laughed while focusing on the television.

Am I interrupting her peace time? She looks so happy. What if I give this to her and she’ll be like, “Who you? Why you be giving me a ring?”

Nope, don’t think that way Joohyuk.

Sometimes I just want both my heart and mind to shut up and let me do the whole feeling thing. It’s so hard to have multiple thoughts in oneself.

I sighed and hold the ring box that I placed in my pocket.

“Am I disturbing you?” I asked her to be sure.

“Nope, what is it that you want to give me?” She turned around and faces me. , the show has ended.

This is it, Joohyuk.

“I just want to make sure that this isn’t from me. It’s from my-“ then, of all times, the doorbell rang.

Soomin looked at me then ran to the peephole of the door.

“Who?” I asked.

“Come here.” She whispered and asked me to come over.

I take a look and it’s someone I am very, very familiar with.

Kim Jisoo.

This little .

“How does he know you lived here?” She whispered again.

“Should I open the door?” I asked her.

“I know you guys are there. Open up, I bought some housewarming presents here.” Jisoo opened his mouth and both of us closed our mouth in surprised and she told me to open up.

Of all times, Jisoo. Of all times.

Second try: failed.

God, please shut Jisoo’s mouth up.

I unlock the door and slowly open the door, revealing Jisoo who is wearing a long padded jacket and shivering.

“Why are you taking so long to open?” He shook his head and came into the apartment.

“Wow, Joohyuk. I am so disappointed in you. How can you not tell me anything about this?” He took off his shoe and okay, where did Soomin go?

“Where is she?” Jisoo asked.

“Let’s not disturb her and let her do her own things. You need to explain a lot of things to me.” I grabbed his collar and made him seat down on the living room floor.

---

 

“What the hell is happening?” I walked to the right.

“Is that who I think it is?” I walked to the left.

“Is that my classmate?” I walked back to the right.

“How did he know about this place?” I walked back to the left.

“Does he know that I’m here too?” I continued pacing around my room and tried to find a way out of this mess and didn’t quite make it when the spirit appeared, sitting on my bed with a notebook on his hand.

“I sense uneasiness.” He said and I jumped on bed, sitting beside him.

“What should I do?” I asked him.

“Don’t fight your fate.” He answered short and sweet.

“Is this even happening? First of all, is it Joohyuk that told Jisoo about us?” I ruffled my head.

“Hey there, human, you can’t blame Joohyuk. As you can see, he is as equal as shock as you are. He also doesn’t expect this to happen. Now, if you really want to know the truth, get your off this bed and go out. Have a talk with Jisoo and don’t make Joohyuk the only one handling this.” He advised.

“You crazy, bro? I am not even close with both of them, how the heck am I going to go out there and face them?” I chuckled and lay down on my bed.

“This is only the beginning though.” The spirit pouted his lips and open up his notebook.

“Is that about my life?” I tried to peek into the notebook but he closes it as fast as lightning and stood up.

“No human can see this.” He smiles.

“Remember that if you fight your fate, something even worse is waiting for you.” He did a little jump and disappears. I swear he has changed from the first time I met him.

You guys need to know this. I am an introvert. Socializing with people isn’t my cup of tea. Making friends isn’t my cup of tea. Going to meeting, parties and gathering isn’t my cup of tea. Staying at home and enjoy my own time is my cup of tea. But now? Oh my goodness.

“Soomin?” Joohyuk knocked on my door slowly.

What the does he want?

“Remember that if you fight your fate, something even worse is waiting for you.” The spirit words ringed inside my head and I stood up.

I slowly unlocked my room door and open the slightly and looked up to Joohyuk.

“I’m shy.” I whispered to him. And he laughed. He laughed? How dare he laugh?!

“Shy? You weren’t shy just five minutes ago with me.” He smiled and persuades me to meet Jisoo.

Well, it’s not like I haven’t seen him before.

“He’s not going to eat you.” Joohyuk whispered to my ears and I swear to every god out there, I feel like slapping him any minute now.

“Hi, sis-in-law.” Jisoo stood up when I walked to the living room.

“I told you not to say that, you face.” Joohyuk kicked Jisoo’s leg and I smiled.

This. Is. Awkwarddddddddd.

“Sit down.” Jisoo said and I sat down.

This is my house, you little fart.

I maintained my smile but only god knows how I am feeling right now.

“Eat up. I heard you like fried chicken.” He offered me a piece of chicken and I took it. Who doesn’t like chicken? *rolls eyes*

“Explain everything to her please.” Joohyuk said and I swallow the chicken without chewing. Damn, what is this nervous feeling?

“Okay, so this is how the story went.” Jisoo started.

---

 

“He said I didn’t answer his call all the time, look who doesn’t answer the call now?” Jisoo called Joohyuk the nth time but none of his call were answered.

“This is important though.” He tried to find a way to contact Joohyuk and the first thing that popped in his head is Joohyuk’s address.

“Right, I could just go to his house.” Remembering his best friend of 12 years house address, he took a taxi to Joohyuk’s house but was greeted by Joohyuk’s grandmother instead.

“Hi, grandma. I forget that you always come once every month. Is Joohyuk home? I called him thousands and thousands of time but he didn’t answer my call.” He asked the aged women and she brings him inside.

“Kisum, make some juice for Joohyuk’s friend.” Grandma ordered Joohyuk’s house helped and Jisoo sat there at the living room with Joohyuk’s grandmother.

“It seems like he isn’t home.” Jisoo laughed and drank the juice as soon as the drink was served.

“Don’t you know that Joohyuk isn’t living here anymore?” Grandma laughed, closing .

“What?!” Jisoo face turned pale the second grandma said that and his face turned even paler when, “He lives with his wife.”

Jisoo slapped his cheeks and asked the helper for more juice.

“Grandma, it’s not funny to make fun of me.” Jisoo told her but she just laughs.

“What do I get if I make fun of you?” She said and laughed. More drink came and grandma asked Kisum something.

“Kisum, tell Jisoo Joohyuk’s new place. He said he has something urgent for Joohyuk.” She ordered but Kisum seemed hesitant.

“But maam, Mr and Mrs Nam told me to never tell anyone about this.” She whispered to the elder lady.

“Just give it to him. They have been friends since I was 57. I grow old, watching these boys in front of me. I know that Jisoo can still keep this as a secret.”

“Of course, I will. Thank you for trusting me, grandma.” Jisoo hold her hand and wait to Kisum to give him the address.

Walking out of the apartment, Jisoo laughed in disbelief, still looking at the piece of written paper.

“I didn’t expect this to happen. What if grandma wasn’t there today? No one would’ve told me about this.” He kissed the paper and went to his favorite chicken store to pack up some fried chicken, everyone’s favorite.

---

 

“That’s what happened.” Jisoo ended his storytelling and drank his coke.

“This is a nice place though.” He added but both me and Joohyuk remained silent.

Jisoo looked up and rubbed his nose in embarrassment.

“Eh, you guys don’t believe me? I swear not to tell anyone about this. My lips are already sealed. I threw away the key to this secret already.” He smiled widely.

“What is that something urgent you want to tell me?” Joohyuk asked and I grab a radish to eat with the chicken. Damn, this is heaven and hell at the same time.

“First thing first, bro. Why didn’t you answer your phone? I called you thousands of times and you didn’t answer. If you would’ve answered it, I don’t think I would be here right now.” Jisoo stood for himself and it sounded like Joohyuk is at fault here.

“I didn’t hear my phone ringing.” Joohyuk answered. What a stupid answer.

“Well, you could have at least put it on vibrate or something.” Jisoo shook his head and ate another chicken.

“Stop eating and tell me what is that something urgent,” Joohyuk slapped Jisoo’s back and he choke.

What a true friendship, caring for each other. Tsk tsk tsk.

Jisoo coughed and looked up from the chicken he has been holding the whole time. He looked at me then looked at Joohyuk.

“I’ll tell you maybe when it’s just the two of us.” He laughed half-heartedly.

Okay, this must be some guys talk about girls.

“I can go in if you want.” I offered and stand up but both of them stopped me.

“You can continue to eat.” They both say at the same time.

“No, I think I had enough. Also, it’s nearly midnight. We have class tomorrow. So, thank you for the food, Jisoo. See you tomorrow.” I walked out from this awkward conversation myself and rush back into my room.

I wonder what this something urgent is all about.

---

 

 I can sense some stupid aura is going to happen here.

“Can’t you see how serious I am right now?” I crossed my arms and stare at Jisoo who is still chomping on his chicken.

“I need something to give me energy before I tell you.” He replied and I waited for him.

After waiting for him to finish, he wiped his mouth and drank his last sip of cola.

“So, can you tell me now?” I said and he gulped.

“Bro, this may sound very awkward but I heard some news about you.” Jisoo whispered and moved towards me.

“What news about me?” I point at myself.

“You know about the fashion girls?” Jisoo started.

“What about them?” I leaned my back on the sofa and put my hands in my pocket.

, the ring.

“They’re having their final year project soon.” Jisoo continued.

“Speed up your process of storytelling please.” I said and he gulped.

“Lydia approached me just now.”

Who? Who the is Lydia?

“She wants you to be her model and she’ll be the designer.” Jisoo explained.

“What are you talking about?” I have absolutely no idea about what this face is talking about.

“I passed her your number though.” Jisoo told me and push his feet and slide away from me.

“You give her my what?!” I shouted and went over, grabbing his collar.

“Number.” He smiled.

“Why did you do that?” I sighed and let him go.

“I thought you always had a thing about fashion. Since you’re working part-time at a fashion store, might as well try to be a model.” He explained himself.

“Who is Lydia again?” I asked.

---

 

I tossed and turn the whole night and I still can’t sleep. Only god knows how bad my insecurities are right now. It’s already 2 in the morning and my brain just doesn’t want to go to sleep mode.

“Will you let me sleep?” I sat up from my bed and cover my face with my palm that I rest it on my thigh.

“Sweetie-pie, why aren’t you asleep?” The spirit appeared beside me, lying on my bed.

“Can you make me go to sleep or something? I have class tomorrow.” I sighed, looking at him aka guardian of my life.

“Go and drink some coffee.” He suggested.

“Coffee? Are you making fun of me right now? Coffee will only make me awake.” I answered.

“Have you tried drinking coffee before sleeping?” He asked.

“Yes and it made me not sleepy.” I answer him the obvious answer.

“But body makes changes every time you grow older so you never know if this trick helps you or not if you didn’t try it.” He smiled and stood up.

“But there’s a consequences though.”

“What?” My ears are ready to hear about this.

“Whether or not you will drink the coffee as I suggested, you will still have to go through after-school service tomorrow.” He said.

“After-school service aka detention? You’re kidding me right now, am I right? I am one of the 4 GPA students, how can I do this stupid service thing?” I blew a raspberry at the foolish statement I just heard.

“Maybe you’ll find out why tomorrow.” He smiled and disappeared, appearing behind my back.

“This is only the beginning.” and disappeared.

“After-school service?!” I chuckled and went over to my phone that is charging and set all the alarm a human could ask for.

“Don’t fight my fate? Bro, I have been the good student all these while. I am not going to dirty my own record and serve a detention.” I open my room door and go over to the kitchen to drink some milk.

“I swear this spirit has gotten worse than before.”

 

Morning came and I woke up, smiling.

“You can relax, Soomin. Your alarm hasn’t rang yet and it is still dark outside.” I say to myself and hugged my pillow.

“Don’t fight my fate? You must be kidding me. Spirit, are you watching me right now? I am going to wake up right at 6.30 and go to school early so that I won’t get after-school service aka that detention. I will not allow anything to make my clean record as a student dirty.” I smiled again and went back to sleep.

Then, then and then, I heard knocking on my door.

“SOOMIN ARE YOU INSIDE?” It’s Joohyuk.

What? What is happening? Is there a fire in our apartment?

“What? Why?!” I jumped out from my bed and open the door.

“Oh my god, why are you still in your pajamas?” He asked, scratching his head.

“What do you mean?” I asked him back and slowly I began to realize.

“IT’S 9 IN THE MORNING!” Joohyuk shouted and push me to the bathroom.

“Quickly take a shower and get ready.” He yelled.

After a short and rushed shower, I ran to my room and get ready as fast as lightning. Then I walked over to my window and draw the curtain.

IT IS SO BRIGHT OUTSIDE. Not as bright as my future though.

“Why is it dark just now?” I asked myself and Joohyuk opened the door to my room and asked me to hurry up.

“I swear it was dark just now.” I told him, pointing to the window.

“Dark? Don’t you remember that this curtain is light-proof?” He asked.

“Light-proof?” I asked him back and he shook his head. He plugged out my phone that was charging and the screen lit up.

“How can you not hear any of this alarm? You missed every alarm that you set.” He showed me my phone and oh my god.

“I swear I didn’t hear the alarm rang.” I said.

MY PHONE WAS ON SILENT. ABSOLUTE SILENT. NO SOUND, NO VIBRATION. SILENT.

“Come let’s go.” Joohyuk grabbed my hand and off we ran to school which is thankfully 7 minutes away.

Thanks, spirit, for reminding me that my life is going to go down.

 

---