Episode 18: Realizations

We Got Married!
Please log in to read the full chapter

Guys... Warning... That's all I got to say... Enjoy

 

Yifan walks into the living room to see Chanyeol and his mother holding hands but not talking at all.

 

Mi Sun: What is happening?

Choa: Omo, did he hear what they were talking about?

 

“Oh, Yifan! Are you done? Would you like some tea?” The woman stands up and goes to make another batch of tea as Yifan walks over to Chanyeol and sits down where his mother was seated.

“What did you guys do? I’m sorry I left you two all alone.” There is a pleading look in his eyes. Chanyeol smiles as he brings up his hands to fix his husband’s hair.

 

Kyung Hwan: Wait! Are they not going to tell Yifan?

 

Chanyeol: I was taken aback from the moment when hyung came in. Eomeonim did not mention anything more about the topic so I kind of left it there too. I don’t know (he sighs) if it’s meant to be, the topic will be mentioned again in the future.

 

Mi Sun: I suppose that would be better, but I really want to have some closure right now.

 

“We used that app to talk and it was nice. Your mom is really nice.”

Yifan’s mom comes back with more food and fresh pot of tea. They spend the remainder of their stay talking more about Yifan’s childhood and looking through his photos. Chanyeol whips out his phone to take pictures of some images that he would never see the adult Yifan do. Yifan tries to protest but loses when Chanyeol and his mom both say otherwise.

The time goes by fast and soon Chanyeol is getting texts and calls from his manager, reminding him of his flight. He sighs as he gets up.

“It was really nice meeting you, mother.” Chanyeol tries again and now seems more confident in his speech.

“The pleasure is mine. It’s sad that you couldn’t say for a while. Next time make sure to get more extension on your break. I would love to go sightseeing with you.”

Chanyeol beams and nods his head after Yifan translates and he opens his arms. The older woman also smiles her gentle motherly smile as she steps into the embrace.

Yifan stands by fondly watching.

 

Yifan: It was really nice to see them like that. I know that many of my friends always get worried whenever their in-laws are mentioned but I don’t see why. My mom adores Chanyeol, I feel so much love from his parents. It’s almost like it was meant to be?

 

Eric Nam: Destiny!

Kyung Hwan: I truly think it is destiny that they get along so well. I don’t think their parents would be able to fake the affection they showed to their new sons.

 

             The couple is walked to the door by their mother who is holding tightly onto their arms between them. She says her goodbyes to her son first and manages to pull the tall child down to place a kiss on his cheeks. Yifan smiles and gives her one last hug. She then turns to Chanyeol.

“I hope you don’t forget the things we talked about earlier.” She embraces her second tall guest with as much affection as she did her son.

 

Caption: We will never forget, eomeonim...

 

Yifan looks to Chanyeol with a questioning look as he translates between the two. Chanyeol just smiles and looks down to the woman in his arms.

“I won’t and thank you for your support. Hope to see you in the near future.”

The two tall males exit the house and enter an elevator while waving at the woman who is standing outside her door also waving her small hands.

 

Caption: It was wonderful to meet you and we hope you stay well!

 

Mi Sun: Nice meeting you eomeonim!

Studio bows.

 

             Yifan interlocks their hands and leans his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder. Shortly, they are seated in the rented car as Yifan is pulling out of the parking lot.

 

Chanyeol: I just can’t get over the fact that I met hyung’s mother and that she was just so wonderful. I actually called my own mom when I was at the airport and told her everything and she seemed to really like Yifan’s mom. I was just happy about everything that happened.

 

             Their hands stay connected as Yifan drives them to the airport.

             “What did you guys talk about?” Yifan finally asks.

 

Choa: Omo! Is Chanyeol-oppa going to say it now?

 

Chanyeol looks at his husband’s side profile and his eyes glide over the defined features of the man sitting besides him. He smiles.

“Hyung, why did you want to do this show?”

 

Caption: Goodness... what is this atmosphere?

 

            Yifan seems to be surprised by the question but manages to think about his answer.

            “Well,” he pauses, “since I was going to stay in Korea for a while I thought it would be nice to have someone there to help me out. I was also pretty lonely.” There is small smile on his face but his eyes doesn’t seem to be smiling.

            “Aren’t we all pretty lonely?” Chanyeol whispers as he looks out the window.

            Yifan manages to look at the younger man and he tightens his grip on Chanyeol’s hand.

            “I never had a serious relationship. I don’t know what it was, I mean, there was definite attraction with all of my past lovers but I always end up feeling incomplete. I think it was only superficial.” He sighs.

 

Mi Sun: Aigoo, it hurts just listening to him.

 

            “Does that mean,” Chanyeol looks back to his husband and lowers his voice for the next part, “you signed up for this show for superficial reasons?”

 

Studio gasps.

 

            Yifan tenses up. After a minute he sighs again.

            “Yes.”

 

Caption: My heart... is it breaking?

 

Studio scream.

Eric Nam: Don’t say that hyung! Don’t say it!

Kyung Hwan: What is this?

Choa: Look at Chanyeol-oppa’s face!

 

            Chanyeol’s face is unreadable as he opens his mouth but ends up closing it. He turns his face to look at the road in front of him.

            “Do you know why I did this show?” Chanyeol starts talking. Yifan doesn’t respond so Chanyeol continues. “After debuting, I kind of lost that freedom to experience that innocent, normal, first love. Many people told me that even as an idol I could fall in love and do whatever, but deep down I know that I really can’t. There is always a condition, a catch.”

 

Mi Sun: Why is this happening. Chanyeol-ah, please... stay strong.

 

            Chanyeol sighs but a small smile spreads on his face.

            “When my manager told us about the casting I had this giant urge to be on this show and begged my manager and company to allow me to be on it. I wasn’t even sure if I would be selected but just the thought of having a fresh start with someone and planning dates, anticipating for everything, feeling emotions I never truly experienced was so appealing.” He chuckles. “You have no idea how happy I was when I did get picked. I stayed up all night because I was that excited.” His voice softens again. “But, I believe that experiencing this with you has made it that much more worthwhile.”

 

Choa: Oppa! I’m about to cry, please stop.

Kyung Hwan: What is Yifan-hyung doing? Why isn’t he saying anything?

 

Yifan continues to drive in silence and only when he stops at a red light he turns to look at the man. Their eyes meet, just like the first time, and neither say a word.  

 

Yifan: If I’m being honest, all the people I’ve dated before were beautiful and with great personalities. I was always instantly attracted to them and that was the reason why I would pursue them and date them. But none of them lasted. There was always something lacking and it was always something from my side. (He sighs) However, Chanyeol was different. From the moment I met him he was different. Sure he was good looking but there was something else. I always think about this (he goes quiet for a moment) if it weren’t for this show I don’t think I would have went for him. I don’t think we would have passed the point of just being acquaintances. (He rubs his hands) Because of this show I was able to find something inside of me that I would have never had by myself.

 

Yifan’s lips begins to tilt upwards as he brings their hands up to his mouth.

 

Studio is silent.

 

He places a gentle kiss on the ring proudly shining on his husband’s ring finger. He fondly rubs the metal as his eyes stay connected with Chanyeol the whole time.

“It was only superficial because I hadn’t met you then.” He releases the hand and brings his own up to Chanyeol’s face. He softly places it over his cheek and jaw and begins to run his thumb over the younger man’s left cheek.

 

Mi Sun: Omo, I don’t know how I feel about this right now.

 

Chanyeol leans into the touch.

“Do you known what the catch is for this relationship?” Yifan asks as he smiles.

Chanyeol thinks about it but shakes his head.

“I might not be able to leave you.”

 

Studio screams!

Choa: Oppa! Oppa!

Eric Nam: Ah, my chest, something is happening in there, my chest

Please log in to read the full chapter