Are they? Aren't they?

Comes with the job

The internet was buzzing. Every gossip show on television was buzzing. Joonmyun didn't understand what all the buzz was about until he joined Luhan and s work colleague he had yet to meet for lunch and both of them were reading on online article on Luhan's tablet.

"What's this all about?" Joonmyun asks as Luhan turns the tablet around to face him. On the screen there’s Yifan pictured with a woman he seems to tower over given his extraordinary height.

“Who’s she?” Joonmyun asks

“Jung Soojung” Luhan replies “Her father- alongside Choi Siwon and the Parks- is one of the richest men in the country. Seeing as her father had two daughters and no sons, Soojung and her sister are set to take the company from him when he retires”

“And people are freaking out over her and Yifan because?”

“Because there’s been a lot of questioning over Yifan’s uality lately” the guy next to Luhan replies bluntly “There are rumours going around about what he got up to in Canada- even over here and on trips to China- both he and Soojung have been reportedly seen with each a lot lately therefore there’s this whole 'Are they? Aren’t they?' thing going on surrounding them”

Whilst the insight into why everybody was going crazy was indeed helpful, Joonmyun still has no idea who this guy is. Sensing this, the guy turns to Joonmyun and smiles at him.

“Sorry, the name’s Byun Baekhyun” he finally introduces “I work in the music and entertainment section of the company”

“And he’s damn good at it too!” Luhan pipes in as Baekhyun nudges him

“Are you always this nice to everybody you meet?”

Turns out Baekhyun was just out of university himself, the only difference between him Joonmyun being that Baekyun had no original desire of going into journalism at all. Having attended a university which specialised in music, Baekhyun's initial dream was to be a singer and make it into musicals where his parents could watch him on the stage.

Vocal nodules at the beginning of his second year however ensured that the dream of becoming a musical extraordinaire came to a grinding halt; though he had the treatment that was necessary, no matter what he tried, he just couldn't get his voice back to what it had been previously, and only being mildly skilled in piano meant that any musical career Baekhyun had in mind ended right there. Thank goodness he had friends who were there and literally told him to get up off his and find a new career out of his passion for music otherwise Baekhyun would have found himself becoming extremely lost and not knowing what to do.  It was his friends who suggested he started looking for apprenticeships in fields of work he would have never considered, but still interested him.

This was how he came across the company. Having had no real experience in journalism before, Baekhyun was way out of his comfort zone. It was Minseok who saw the potential in him where others couldn’t and allowed him to begin working here, otherwise Baekhyun would have had no idea what he would be doing by the time he finished university.

"Jung Soojung" Joonmyun says to himself before clicking his fingers "That's where I know her! I have an interview with her tomorrow morning"

“Really?” Baekhyun asks “You have an interview with Jung Soojung?”

It was really a chance of luck that Joonmyun was given the chance to interview Soojung on such a short notice. Whoever it had been previously had to cancel and seeing as Minseok thought he had done so well on his first article, Joonmyun was handed the opportunity to conduct the interview himself.

“Well, look at you!” Baekhyun exclaims “First you get the best break as a newbie in this place by interviewing Wu Yifan and now you’re interviewing the girl he’s been linked with? This is any journalists dream at the moment!”

“Maybe Joonmyun can try and sneak a question in there about the possible fling between the two of them? Then Baekhyun can make it a little feature article on the website as some sort of exclusive” Luhan suggests

“Tempting but I think I’ll stick to me field of business and economics for this interview” Joonmyun declines

“And whilst their possible fling is hitting the headlines I’m about to have a story that going to completely overtake that. This will be an exclusive worth reading!” Baekhyun adds as Luhan presses him for more detail.

Turns out Baekhyun’s next big interview was this Korean-Chinese duo who were coming over to Korea after breaking into the Chinese music scene. They were the biggest and most popular act in the country at the moment- their debut album being the biggest selling album of that year and a few end of year awards to boast this feat. Now that they had an established career built up in China they were coming across to Korea to see if they could do the exact thing there.

“CJ and YL? What kind of name is that?” Luhan asks

“Well their group name doesn’t really translate across to Korean from what they’re called in China, they’re still working on a name for the minute” Baekhyun explains “The letters stand for their names. See, Chen is the Korean one but in Korea he’ll be going by Jongdae. Yixing’s the Chinese one but because his name is kinda hard to pronounce he’s going by Lay”

“Wait, Jongdae? As in Kim Jongdae?” Joonmyun asks

“Yeah” Baekhyun confirms before his eyes widen “Wait, do you know the guy?”

“If he is who I think he is then yeah! We were neighbours and went to school together, but in our second to last year he left because he got scouted by some company!”

Being shown some music videos and lives performances of the duo did Joonmyun confirm it was his former neighbour. It was quite fascinating to see two of them perform; from ballads, to the classic pop,   they were just about able to do anything.

“Jongdae can dance?” Joonmyun asks, surprised at just how well they can dance and sing during live performances, the crowd going crazy as they’re doing so.

“Just hear those voices, it’s amazing how they’re able to since and dance like that” Baekhyun comments 

“You’re just as good as them” Luhan says making Baekhyun scoff

“Now you’re just being a kiss ” he teases “And besides, my voice is nowhere near as good as what it used to be, it’s much weaker than their voices” he finishes as they go back to look at past performances in China.

“Man, how did you manage to get an interview with these guys?” Luhan asks

“They’re coming over for a photoshoot to test out some possible poster images to tease the audience with” Baekhyun explains “My friend is the photographer and, God bless him, he was the one who managed to get me this interview and I should really think of a way to repay him”

Joonmyun still couldn’t believe that his former neighbour and schoolmate was now a huge popstar with a huge fan base behind him. He couldn’t believe that Baekhyun would be the one to re-introduce him and bring back memories from his childhood! What a small world this really was.

“Hey, how about you two come tag along with me for the interview!” Baekhyun suggests and Joonmyun looks at him excitedly

“Really?”

“Sure! Luhan can help translate for Lay if he gets too confused or tongue tied and you can meet up with your friend again”

“Count me in then!” Joonmyun quickly confirms

“I’ll try to make it” Luhan replies “But I can’t promise anything. Getting closer to my move to China that we’re all working hard to make sure everything is ready in time”

Given the chance to meet with an old friend again was enough to keep Joonmyun going for the rest of the week! Choosing a career in journalism was definitely the best decision he ever made!

 

 

“… it’s not a difficult job, this. I mean, Sooyeon’s obviously taking most of the work because she’s finished university and she’s the older out of the two of us, but we both love our dad and if us working helps him recover faster from his illness then we’ll do it, absolutely”

Whatever perception Joonmyun had of Soojung prior to the interview had been wiped out the second she had walked into the room. Reading previous interviews and articles about her and her sister, there was a lot on how expressionless she could be at times, how she hardly smiled or laughed, the same applying to her sister at times! Joonmyun was quick to work it out though; from what he had seen so far Soojung was quite shy, it took her a few questions before she was able to properly relax into the interview, both she and her sister were still young women who the world expected to grow up too quickly for their father and Joonmyun found himself feeling quite sorry for them.

“Some people out there have been quite critical of how your father has allowed his daughters to help run the company instead of seeking out a nephew or male accomplice deemed more suitable for the role, what would you say to them about that?” Joonmyun asks as Soojung smirks and rolls her eyes.

“Our parents raised us and the company together, we’ve been a part of this since birth, and we know how it works. Our father is in the same mind set as us in that anything a man can do, a woman can do just as well. If they have a problem with that, then they obviously have no place working alongside a man like my father”

“I don’t doubt you for a second” Joonmyun comments, writing a few notes down as Soojung sits there silently watching him

“You know, I would have thought by now you’d be asking if the rumours about me and Yifan are true. Everybody else has tried to so far” she says

“Well it’s not really of interest to me. I have a specific field I work for where your dating life hasn’t really got anything to do with. That, and it’s your private life, you deserve your privacy without everybody trying to get their noses in every five minute” Joonmyun replies and Soojung is able to smile a lot wider than she had done previously throughout the interview.

“He’s spoken about you quite a bit since you interviewed Yifan” she begins, making Joonmyun stop what he was writing “I’ve never seen him so… talkative before, and I couldn’t understand why”

“Well, uh, hopefully he said good things about me” Joonmyun replies and continues writing into his notepad

“Oh he had some interesting things to say, particularly about the interview. He’s never had anybody talk back to him like he said you did and he was very excited about it. Probably the most excited he’s been in a while”

To hear that Yifan talks about Joonmyun- especially how Joonmyun reacted to him during their dreaded interview- is enough to make Joonmyun have to fight down the blush that threatens to turn his face into a very embarrassing shade of red. Why was Yifan doing this? Does this mean he was also telling other people? Was Joonmyun going to build up some sort of unwanted reputation because Yifan couldn’t keep his trap shut?

“M-moving on” Joonmyun says, directing the conversation onto a new path “Besides business, is there a hobby you like that takes you away from this? Do you have a time to yourself where you can just be Soojung and not the daughter and heir to this company?”

Seeing just how quick Joonmyun wanted to divert the conversation makes Soojung laugh, this is probably the first interview in a long string of interviews she’s been able to enjoy for a while. Nonetheless, if the interview is to finish in time for her to move onto her next schedule, she answers the question and all earlier mentions of Yifan are soon forgotten.


Dum dum dummmmmm

Yo, yo, yo people!

In this chapter we have Baekhyun and Soojung introduced who- through different matters of their own- make Joonmyun both happy and surprised in the span of a day! We're also getting closer to Yifan and Joonmyun being able to meet once again face to face, but we just need to get through the next chapter- where two new characters are introduced- and Yifan needs his own little slot. We already know about Joonmyun- finishing uni and going straight into his job- but what about Yifan? Maybe a little teaser of his life at the beginning or the end of the chapter? What's his link with Soojung? We shall find out... maybe...

Also, I know I'm adding all these new character in, but trust me, they have a common link throughout this story and- like Baekhyun and Soojung- have their own stories I'm gonna try and incorporate whether they be big or small... just to keep them as cute little side characters... 

Until the next chapter!!