Walk with me

Comes with the job

Joonmyun forgets about writing the article of his interview with Siwon for the rest of the day. He needs the time off to calm down and get over what happened earlier, having to listen to the recorded interview and hearing Yifan’s voice wasn’t going to help however.  What harm was there in a much deserved evening break anyway?

Having not had an evening off in a while though, he was stuck in trying to decide what he could do. Did he stay in and catch up on some television? Did he call his brother and ask him if he wanted to go out for some drinks? Was he that much of a workaholic that he was actually tempted to go and get some other piece of work and do that instead of the interview?

“Nope this is your evening off Joonmyun, enjoy it” he mutters to himself, getting ready to open the glass of wine he’s had chilling in the fridge for a few days- finally finding some use for it- before there’s a knock on his door.

Opening the door to find Yifan on the other side, Joonmyun is momentarily conflicted; does he slam the door in his face and tell him to go away? Does he call the police to ask them to him away from his apartment and get an injunction set on him? Does he finally punch the guy in the face with a punch full of pent up anger over these past few weeks?

“You’re the last person in this entire galaxy I want to see right now” he says instead “Go away, leave me alone”

Joonmyun then opts to slam the door in his face, however Yifan is quicker- and much, much stronger- so he’s able to put his entire weight against the door and push it back open with minimal difficulty.

“Come for a walk with me”

“Excuse me?”

“Come for a walk with me” Yifan repeats “It’s quite chilly this evening so I would advise wrapping up”

“What makes you think I would want to walk with you?” Joonmyun spits out, gripping the door handle

“I know this lovely area where nobody will see us. During the autumn time it’s particularly beautiful with the leaves beginning to fall down beside you” Yifan explains “And think of it as a peace offering after the conversation I had previously with Minseok”

“I don’t want nor need a peace offering from you, I just want you to leave me alone!” Joonmyun replies trying to shut the door again but Yifan is just so much stronger and has no trouble standing there with his weight against the door shaking his head.

“Have you learnt nothing?” he asks “I’ll just stay here until you come out. If I do that, the neighbours may see, get suspicious, and after all those articles they’ve read about me you wouldn’t want them suspecting you of being connected with me would you?”

Joonmyun still doesn’t want to do it. This was supposed to be his night in full of relaxation and forgetting about Yifan… that didn’t mean said guy had to turn up at his door almost demanding that Joonmyun goes out for a walk with him for crying out loud!

“If you’re that worried I can assure you it’s out of the way of the majority of the public. Not many people know I go to the area” Yifan adds and Joonmyun just so desperately wants to get rid of him, but he knows that Yifan won’t go away and whether he liked it or not he was going to have to go on that stupid walk with him.

 

 

“I told you to wrap up”

“Shut. Up.”

“I’m just saying! I told you it would be cold and wrapping up was the best thing to do but no, you put on a jacket and now look at you”

This was Joonmyun’s worst nightmare; out in public with someone he considered as his mortal enemy, shivering in the flimsy jacket he was wearing, and having to hear Yifan nag to him about it.

“Can you blame me? You were stood there actually tapping your foot waiting for me. I grabbed the nearest thing I had just to shut you up!” he exclaims but Yifan chooses to ignore the comment and Joonmyun walks beside him hands stuffed in his pockets, shivering from the cold finally getting to him.

The two walk in silence and Joonmyun has to admit, Yifan was right about how nice the area was. With night time getting earlier and earlier, lamps lit up the area and someone had also put fairy lights around various trees to light the way. Leaves had begun to fall and hearing them crunch beneath their feet was quite a calming and enjoyable experience for Joonmyun.

“Here”

Joonmyun finds his face buried beneath a mountain of scarf. He pulls it down so that he can see but it still covers his mouth and rests just beneath his nose.

“I don’t need your scarf” he says, voice muffled by the sheer amount of material

“But you’re warmer than you were, right?” Yifan asks and there’s a pause before he can see Joonmyun nod his head “Then keep it”

The silence resumes and Joonmyun uses this time to get in some more sightseeing of the place. Yifan was certainly right when he said very few people came through here, the most he had seen so far was a woman walking her dog and a young couple pushing their new born baby through. How many times did Yifan come here by himself? Did he do so to get away from all the ‘fake’ people he had so often told Joonmyun about?

Joonmyun’s broken out of his thoughts when he feels Yifan wrap an arm around his shoulder and pull him into his side. The contact is surprising to say the least and Joonmyun’s about to ask him what the hell he’s thinking before a cyclist comes speeding past and straight through where Joonmyun had been standing moments before. As soon as he passes, Yifan lets go of Joonmyun straight away and they’re back in their previous positions.

“I’m only teasing you” Yifan pipes up “There’s no need to go crying to Minseok every time something happens between us”

“I don’t go crying every time” Joonmyun replies “It’s not even crying! I was furious with you because you walked in on probably the biggest interview of my career so far and make me feel so little and so embarrassed. I think it’s justified that I did go and speak to my boss about it!”

“You don’t have to get so heated though. I quite enjoy our moments together, even if you do get overly angry. You’re the only person who has been able to fight back when I say things, I find it fun”

“Well then your idea of fun and my idea of fun are two completely different things. Your idea of fun is equal to my idea of a disaster” Joonmyun replies and Yifan smiles at the comment, an actual genuine smile that is nothing like the smirks Joonmyun really hates.

“You should smile more”

“Pardon?” Yifan asks, visibly thrown by the statement

“You should smile more. You actually look genuinely happy and nice. Plus it means I don’t want to punch you in the face like I do the majority of the time” Joonmyun explains making Yifan laugh. The laugh is so bright that Joonmyun actually finds himself smiling and laughing along with him. He finds that he prefers this side of Yifan over any other side of Yifan he has come across so far. He wants to see this side to Yifan more often.

 

 

“I would walk you back to your place seeing as I dragged you out, but I’m afraid that I have more important places to be at this moment”

Joonmyun snorts at Yifan’s comment- though it is probably true- and shows him on the arm “Always the gentleman. It’s okay though, I can get home by myself with no problem”

“Can you? Or am I going to have to save your again?” Yifan asks playfully as Joonmyun narrows his eyes

“That was a one-time thing. I can assure you it won’t happen again” he says “Now, if you’ll excuse me”

The turn that he makes to go back to his place is a bit more overdramatic that Joonmyun may have wanted it to be. He can hear Yifan laugh behind him but he keeps on walking, getting halfway down the road before he realises he still has Yifan’s scarf. By the time he turns back around Yifan is already gone and Joonmyun assures himself that he can always give it back the next time he has some free time from work to do so. In the meantime the wind picks up and Joonmyun’s more than happy to bury his face in to keep himself warm until he’s back home.  


Is it confusing that one minute Yifan is an infuriating idiot who teases Joonmyun constantly and then the next he's doing something like this? Ah well, at least I managed to find some time to finally get this chapter done an posted!

So yes, in this chapter we see Yifan offer some sort of an olive branch to Joonmyun with a nice little walk to get everything out in the open. Can we call it bonding time? And, somewhere deep down Joonmyun has the capacity to like some part of Yifan's personality! Party on people!!

Until the next chapter!