The boss

Comes with the job

By some miracle Joonmyun manages to get the article finished and submitted in time for his deadline. Sure it means having a sleepless night or two, picking out something Yifan had said and repeating it a few times in the article, and sometimes winging it... but what matters to Joonmyun is that he gets it in on time and by some bigger miracle finds it featured on the company's website days later.

"It's really good" Luhan praises ae he reads through the article and Joonmyun watches him, biting his lip

"You really think so?" he asks

"For a first attempt at an article I'm quite impressed" Luhan replies, standing up to let Joonmyun sit back down at his desk "You shouldn't put yourself down like this Joonmyun, it's actually really good"

There was a high possibility that the article would not have been published. That, or Joonmyun would have made so many mistakes that by the time editing and corrections were made- come on, he was living off of caffeine most of the time mistakes were bound to be made- it wouldn't have looked like Joonmyun's original report. He was just grateful the report made the cut in the end and that there were people out there who were going to read something he had actually written.

Joonmyun reads through the article one last time just to reassure himself that Luhan wasn't saying all those things because he felt obliged to in order to make Joonmyun feel better. The guy was too good for his own good! Halfway through however he's interrupted by a phone call, and forgetting to put his phone on silent quickly rejects, fearing somebody was going to tell him off for using his phone during office hours.

"Like I'm the only one who does anyway" he mutters to himself

No sooner after the first calling incident does the phone next to his computer begin to ring. He wasn't really sure why it was there- Luhan had told it was there just in case he had to get called to cover an emerging story, but surely mobile phones were more convenient in this century?- and quickly picks it up.

"Hey Joonmyun" comes the cheerful voice of Sunyoung "I have someone waiting to be patched through to talk to you"

"O-oh, okay, did they say who they were?"

"Nope. They just said they really needed to talk to you" and after some deliberation, Joonmyun agrees to speak to the caller. There's silence from the other end of the line and Joonmyun is about to speak before a very familiar sounding voice cuts him off.

"Well, well Joonmyun I must say I'm impressed"

"Wu Yifan?" Joonmyun exclaims freezing and quickly checking around him before leaning down and lowering his voice as he began talking again "Why are you calling me?"

"Well you didn't answer your mobile so I thought this would be a much easier way. That receptionist who patched me through sounded like a lovely woman"

That was Yifan who had tried to call him previously? How the heck did he manage to get his number?

"Well when your father is who he is, you get to know a few people" Yifan explains when asked the question "That and you left your pen here which had your name on it and I believe the badge of the university you went to. It was just too easy"

"So that's where my pen went" Joonmyun comments, the mystery behind his missing pen finally solved "What are doing Yifan? Why are you calling me?"

"To congratulate you on what is quite a good article. One of the better ones I've read about myself anyway" Yifan begins before laughing "Though after the way you left the interview I would have expected some very mean words about me to pop up"

"Oh trust me if it wasn't for a colleague of mine stepping in when he did this article would have been very different" Joonmyun spat back and could hear the sounds of a mouse clicking from the other line.

"The part that amused me the most was how you referred to my 'playful banter', even managing to get a joke in about the recorder incident"

Was Yifan seriously doing this to compliment Joonmyun or just to bring back memories of the interview? Joonmyun just hoped he hung up soon so he didn't have to speak to him any longer.

"Hey Joonmyun, the boss wants to see you" a colleague shoots over to him and it must be loud enough for Yifan to hear as he's soon wishing Joonmyun goodbye because though he would have loved to have carried on their conversation, he had more "important matters" to attend to before hanging up. Joonmyun swears to himself that if he ever saw Yifan's face again he was going to give it a good punch, wipe that infuriating smirk right off his face.

 

 

The feeling of having to meet the boss doesn't hit Joonmyun until he's standing outside the door to the office waiting to knock. All of a sudden, panic hits him over why the boss would want to see him; was it anything serious? Even though the article was published, was it not up to the boss' standard? Was he let down because maybe Joonmyun didn't live up to his expectations?

"You're over thinking" Joonmyun mutters to himself and takes a deep breath before finally knocking, waiting to be allowed in before opening the door. When he steps inside, he's surprised to find a young man stood up making coffee, smiling at him as he enters the rom.

"Have a seat" the man says and Joonmyun does so "Coffee?" is the next offer and Joonmyun kindly declines. Maybe the man was there as an assistant and the boss would come in any second now. That was what Joonmyun had thought originally, right up until the man making the coffee came back and sat in the seat across from him anyway.

"Is everything alright?" he asks and in Joonmyun's head he pictures himself bodding and replying that everything was absolutely fine. He was sitting there just waiting to see how the situation pans out, effectively winging it until he figures out what was going on. It's a shame that his mouth and brain weren't really sharing the same ideas.

"You're the boss?"

The man doesn't know what he's laughing at more; how frank Joonmyun was, or how red he is blushing at that fact he just went and opened his mouth like that.

"Yes I am indeed the boss. Don't you remember me from the interview?"

Now that he thinks about it, Joonmyun can remember the man from his interview. What he does remember is that the man was to the right of a much older man who asked the majority of the questions and therefore Joonmyun assumed he was the boss, not the person currently sat in front of him.

"Ah yes" the man begins with a laugh when Joonmynun points that out "A little prank I like to play on candidates before they're hired. I always find it funny when they realise it's actually me and the look on their faces"

Is this for real? Is this actually happening to Joonmyun?

"B-but you look so young to be a boss!"

"Yeah I do look kinda young for thirty don't I? People have always said I've looked younger. It's always "My goodness Minseok you're eighteen? I thought you were fourteen!" even when I was in the army I had people questioning whether I was indeed old enough to be there"

There was no way the company's boss was only thirty. There was no way Kim Minseok was thirty with a face as young as his!

"If you think my age is surprising, just know that Luhan is also older than you at twenty eight" Minseok adds and Joonmyun figured out already that Luhan was older than him... he just didn't know he was that much older than him!

"Well then I hope that by the time I'm thirty I'll still look like this!"

It was always a shock to any newcomer or anybody visiting the company seeing just how young Minseok was. It was really a miracle to him that at just thirty he was already manager of the place. Having graduated from university he decided to go straight into the army and get his service over and done with, come out and into the job at the company he found himself flourishing; his work quickly being published, finding himself appearing on television a lot quicker than what most people thought he would have, some of his work colleagues even dubbed Minseok as a journalistic prodigy. It looked as though the boss before him thought the same as towards his retirement- when Minseok was only twenty eight years old- he was training the guy on how to take over from him once he was gone. Minseok was still learning something new every day and he had a lot of work to do before he could consider himself a great boss, he was just grateful he had such good employees backing him up.

"Okay back to business. I called you in here to congratulate you on doing such a good job with your article. I gotta admit, I wasn't really sure on what to expect but whatever expectations I had previously, they were instantly washed away reading your first draft" Minseok praises

"It was really that good?"

"Of course! Sure there were a few grammar mistakes or a piece of text needed slight rewording, but it was really good. Do you really think I would have published the article if it was terrible?" Minseok asks and Joonmyun sits there shrugging his shoulders.

"Yifan wasn't exactly the easiest person to interview.

He cut the interview too early meaning I had hardly any material to make an article with” he explains

“Yeah, he can be quite the person to work with” Minseok adds

“Had the displeasure of having to interview him then?” Joonmyun asks moodily as Minseok laughs and shakes his head

“I’ve actually known him for a while now. Friends, acquaintances, whatever we are. Bumped into him during an interview with his father. Quite the difficult person, yes, but he’s alright once you get to know him” he explains and makes Joonmyun scoff- he has a pretty hard time believing that.

to know him” he explains and makes Joonmyun scoff- he has a pretty hard time believing that.

“I actually found him to be infuriating and I’m glad Luhan stepped in at the right time to stop my emotions getting the best of me and writing a completely different article”

“I know, myself and Yifan had a very interesting conversation about how the interview went. He was very amused by just how worked up he managed to get you” Minseok explains and seeing how red Joonmyun’s face is becoming quickly adds “But don’t take it to heart! He’s like this with every person he interviews, in fact he quite enjoyed the fact that you were able to counter attack everything he was saying. Don’t worry Joonmyun, please, I didn’t let him tease you too much”

It’s during this speech that something pops into Joonmyun’s mind. By the sound of it Minseok and Yifan spoke quite often- they did so after the interview and Minseok would have probably spoken to him to agree to the interview in the first place- and remembering the phone conversation he had with Yifan earlier, he was right to be suspicious.

“Did you give my mobile number to Yifan?” he asks, his question clearly throwing Minseok momentarily

“Of course not. All employee information is kept with strict confidentiality” he replies “Why do you ask?”

“Well he tried calling me on my mobile this morning and when I didn’t answer he ended up ringing my work phone to speak to me. I’m just curious as to how he got my number in the first place”

“Oh really?” Minseok asks and Joonmyun swears he can see his eyebrow twitch just that little bit. Sensing that the atmosphere in the room has changed, Joonmyun excuses himself, thanking Minseok for the praise and leaving on the note that there is some new work waiting for him when he gets back to his desk. Leaving the office, he can’t help but take some pleasure in knowing that how Minseok had reacted to the news that Yifan had called him this morning, he was probably going to be in trouble.

 

 

“Oh come on Seok, it was just some playful banter because of how we left the interview the last time” Yifan defends that evening when Minseok calls up demanding to know how the heck he managed to get Joonmyun’s number.

“Yeah well I would have appreciated if you had never done that in the first place” Minseok replies moodily “He asked me if I gave you his number. What if he had gone and shared that thought with somebody else? I could have been in big trouble!”

“Ah relax. I’m only having a bit of fun with him” Yifan says, holding his hand up to indicate to his assistant that he would be there once the phone conversation had finished.

“Just don’t do anything to him Yifan. I’m warning you. I know what you’re like and I don’t want you harassing him to the point where probably the newest rising talent in the company so far quits because he can take it from you anymore”

“I promise I won’t make him quit” Yifan says, mocking a child’s voice who has just been told off by his parents “But I’m obviously going to have some fun first, it’s only just started with him”

Minseok should have never bothered calling him, Yifan always got his own one way or another…  


Yo, yo, yo people!!

In this chapter we see Yifan continue to make Joonmyun's life a misery even after the interview. We also get the introduction of Minseok- the boss- who has a connection to Yifan himself!

Yifan and Joonmyun will meet face to face again! Not yet, but most definitely in a few chapters or so. New characters have to be introduced- major or minor they have a roll to play- and Yifan kind of needs his own mini chapter... his own part of a chapter before the reunion happens... it's gonna be fun!!

Until then!!