Breaking News

Comes with the job

BREAKING: CHOI SIWON INVOLVED IN CAR ACCIDENT

At around 19:30 PM yesterday evening, one of the country’s richest men- Choi Siwon- was involved in a four vehicle collision in the Seoul metropolitan area. Businessman Choi was taken to hospital straight from the scene and whilst full details have not been disclosed as to the full extent of his injuries, his son Wu Yifan will take over and carry out his father’s job until he is fully recovered. In the meantime an investigation has been launched into the exact cause of the accident. More to follow as the development of the story continues.

Though Joonmyun told Yifan to leave him alone, he still keeps his phone out on his desk wondering if Yifan would call him, or maybe send him a message. When he goes home at night he stays up that little bit later just in case Yifan wants to come over for a while and shut himself out from the hectic world he’s undoubtedly thrown himself into taking over Siwon’s role until he recovered.

It doesn’t happen however, none of it happens. The only messages he has on his phone are messages from his friends, the most recent being from his brother with a picture attached of the latest scan of his unborn child. He was meant to delete Yifan’s number after their argument, but he hadn’t done it yet and thinks many times whether he should Yifan himself. Would he want to talk to Joonmyun though? Especially after the way the two had left it beforehand? Joonmyun decides against it and leaves it to Yifan and whether he calls or visits Joonmyun voluntarily. It hurt really; Yifan probably needed people around him who weren’t close family, friends, or work colleagues and the person he usually ran to was Joonmyun. Yifan maybe- in Joonmyun’s mind anyway- needed him right now, and instead was probably too hesitant to come to him because Joonmyun had told him to go away.

“Alright, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong Jongdae, I keep telling you I’m fine and I am fine” Joonmyun replies, but Jongdae shoots him a look that reads he doesn’t believe anything Joonmyun is telling him. Joonmyun had to agree with what Jongdae had said the last time they were together; he was more like a mum than his actual mum was to him. It was quite creepy actually.

“Is it about Yifan?” he asks

“How did you know-“

“I am active online Joonmyun, I’m only a few months older than you” Jongdae interrupts “And I kinda put two and two together with the article about you being spotted with him and then the accident that recently happened”

“If only it was that simple” Joonmyun mutters, swirling his drink around in his glass before taking a swig of it. Sat in a bar on a weekend evening having a few drinks with Jongdae was the perfect way to lament over how stupid he had been feeling lately. Looking at his friend however, at least Joonmyun wasn’t the only one who looked like he had been in a foul mood lately.

“What about you then? What’s gotten you so sour lately?” he asks

“I have no idea what you’re talking about” Jongdae replies, staring down at his drink, but knows too well that Joonmyun isn’t going to leave it at just that, he’s gotten to know him too well over the years.

“Could it be the fact that Yixing has been rumoured to star in a certain show where he ‘marries’ a female celebrity?” he asks, smiling when Jongdae looks at him with narrow eyes “Like you Jongdae, I too am active online”

At the expense of Jongdae’s embarrassment, Joonmyun is able to genuinely smile and laugh for the first time in who knows how long. It makes a change for just that short period of time, before his phone begins to ring.

He acts quickly to make it look like he’s neither nervous nor absolutely petrified as he grabs his phone from his pocket and quickly excuses himself. A part of him wants it to be Yifan who’s calling him, but he’s not that disappointed when Yifan’s name doesn’t appear on the screen and it’s his brother’s instead.

“Hello?”

“Joonmyun! Oh God you’ve gotta help me, I-I didn’t know who else to call!”

 

 

Yifan had been training for a situation like this ever since the day Siwon first brought him home. He knew that if anything happened, he would have to take over until things settled down and some arrangement had been sorted out. It was hard work- he was envious that his father could make it look so easy- but Yifan wanted to do it, he wanted to be useful; he couldn’t help when Siwon’s wife had died, he had only been a teenager at the time and was too young to really make a contribution. This time however he was going to anything and everything to make sure he felt like he was helping instead of sitting there like a nuisance.

“Yifan?” Qian calls out gently, opening the door to the study. The room is lit only by a single dim lamp, there are papers and folders strewn across the floor and desk; the most important were in Yifan’s hand as he sat hunched over his desk muttering to himself. As usual whenever Qian popped her head in, the laptop was playing either some music or streaming the news to provide background noise, and every meal she had brought Yifan for the day was either untouched or hardly eaten.

“Yifan, it’s almost three in the morning and you have a meeting at nine, don’t you think you should be getting to bed?” she asks, Yifan looking up to face her, the bags under his eyes becoming ever increasingly obvious compared to what they were two days ago.

“Yeah, sure, just let me finish this one bit and I’ll be in bed” he replies and Qian knows that’s probably a lie, that he’ll try to stay up for as long as possible and then finally go to bed and only manage to get at least two hours sleep. She doesn’t make a fuss about it however; he’s already under enough stress as it is, and probably doesn’t need her constantly nagging at him about the importance of getting to bed on time.

“Okay, just make sure you remember to turn everything off” she says, picking up the plates left on the side and quietly exits the room.

Once Qian has left, Yifan leans back in his seat with a groan, rubbing his eyes to try and keep himself awake. When he checks the time on his watch, sighs and starts packing everything away. He could skip the shower until the morning which would give him at least five and a half hours of sleep, enough to keep him running if he chucked in some coffee breaks in between. Turning to his laptop, he spends an extra minute watching the news, knowing he missed the reports he wanted to watch earlier. It didn’t matter though, there was always an opportunity tomorrow to catch them, Yifan would be doing nothing different anyway. It was the same old, tiring, and stressful routine he had been thrown into at the moment.


Happy New Year everybody!!

Though, I don't think the same could be said for Joonmyun and Yifan. Oh well!

Also, just a little question; how would you guys feel if I set up a LiveJournal account or something like that and after this is finished, write some side stories/ sequels on there? It would include- for example- how Minseok met Luhan, what Chanyeol and Baekhyun get up to in their own time, and the relationship between Yixing and Jongdae. What do you think? Let me know!

Until the next chapter!!